• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Line Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Nicknames or designated alternate names? For example the Exmouth branch is also known as the Avocet line, but that's an 'official' nickname, used by CRPs and the like.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I note in Quail Maps the junction to the south of Sutton where the Wimbledon line diverges is annoted 'the Wall of Death' - what's the story behind that?!

transmanche

Established Member
I note in Quail Maps the junction to the south of Sutton where the Wimbledon line diverges is annoted 'the Wall of Death' - what's the story behind that?!
Steep gradient near Sutton (1:40?), as the line was constructed for EMU operation in the 1930s.

eastdyke

Established Member
From the link:
'This page intends to draw together the multitude of line names used for marketing purposes by the train operating companies'

So the line to Sudbury from Marks Tey is the 'Lovejoy' or the 'Stour Valley'? Both are listed.

FWIW First Group have just given their re-jigged bus routes in Norwich names.

We have Green Line, Blue Line, Pink Line etc. So far they have eschewed 'White Line'.

If they get around to naming Rail Main Lines it is to be hoped that West Coast will not become the 'Red Line'?

Rugd1022

Nicknames of a couple of lines used by bashers down the years...

'The Desert' = Berks & Hants line (which doesn't actually pass through Hants...)

'The Mule- = Waterloo - Exeter line

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Nicknames of a couple of lines used by bashers down the years...

'The Desert' = Berks & Hants line (which doesn't actually pass through Hants...)

When built, the lines from Reading to Basingstoke / Taunton were known collectively as the Berks & Hants, with the new constructions serving both counties. Over time however the name has faded on the Basingstoke line, with it now only used to refer to the Westbury line, leading to the somewhat bizarre name used today.

Eagle

Established Member

The Berks and Hants Railway company built both the Reading to Hungerford (later to Devizes) and the Reading to Basingstoke lines. Why their name is only applied to the one of their lines that the name doesn't describe I don't know.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The line between Peterborough and Doncaster via Spalding, Sleaford and Lincoln is known as The Joint amongst rail staff and enthusiasts - originally the Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Line.

I've also recently discovered that along with the 'Poacher Line' between Grantham and Skegness, Lincolnshire County Council have names for most of the lines into the county. I've never heard any of these used before!

Eagle

Established Member
The line between Peterborough and Doncaster via Spalding, Sleaford and Lincoln is known as The Joint amongst rail staff and enthusiasts

Chiltern also internally refer to their mainline—at least the southern section of it—as the Joint line (being as it was originally joint between the GWR and GCR, later LNER), with the one via Amersham referred to as the Metropolitan line.

Established Member
Birkenhead North - Birkenhead Park.... 'Bomb Alley'

:P

Ok sensibly, some routes signed on diversion....
Ring ring... Control: Do you two sign "Altofts", "Methley" or "Healey Mills"

Established Member
Cambridge/Ely - Ipswich is occasionally known as the West Suffolk Line. Ely - Norwich is known as the Breckland line, but that's more of an official name than a nickname.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Carlisle-Glasgow via Dumfries is known as the Glasgow South Western and Carnforth-Hellifield (I think!) the Little North Western.

RPM

Established Member
Chiltern also internally refer to their mainline—at least the southern section of it—as the Joint line (being as it was originally joint between the GWR and GCR, later LNER), with the one via Amersham referred to as the Metropolitan line.

Indeed that is so, although it is always the Met rather than the Metrolpolitan. The Joint line is always referred to by Aylesbury drivers as "round the houses" too. Aylesbury - Risborough is referred to as "the branch".

A certain gentleman from St. Albans told me about the Bedpan Line, but he also told me of the Goblin, which was an acronym for the Gospel Oak to Barking LINe. Was this true, or just his invention?

Last edited:

Eagle

Established Member
The term 'Goblin' is actually so commonly-used that it's bordering on the official name/abbreviation (I've certainly seen it in a few TfL publications).

Tim B

Indeed that is so, although it is always the Met rather than the Metrolpolitan. The Joint line is always referred to by Aylesbury drivers as "round the houses" too. Aylesbury - Risborough is referred to as "the branch".
Have heard of the Princes Risborough - Bicester stretch of the former GWR / GCR Joint line referred to as the "green desert" due presumably to lack of any significant habitation in the area.

Maybe this was a slightly poetic description from a railway book rather than actually used by railway staff themselves.

biggyn

I've heard one or two people call the Stourbridge Town to Junction branch the 'Push and Pull', presumably due to the use of the 14xx tank engines and auto coaches back in the day, though most people these days refer to it as 'The Shuttle', with one or two slightly less informed people calling it 'The Tram'... :roll: though I fear I'm veering away from the point here!

Does anyone know whether it was referred to as 'The Shuttle' whilst it still used class 153s before they introduced the bone shakers, I mean, class 139s?

Tim B

Should point out that the GWR/GCR joint section was only from Ruislip to Wycombe. Beyond there what is now the Chiltern system was exclusively GWR.
But surely High Wycombe through to Ashenden Junction was also part of the Joint line as it was used by Great Central trains.

RPM

Established Member
Have heard of the Princes Risborough - Bicester stretch of the former GWR / GCR Joint line referred to as the "green desert" due presumably to lack of any significant habitation in the area.

Maybe this was a slightly poetic description from a railway book rather than actually used by railway staff themselves.

I've not heard that before but it is an apt description of that section of line. It could also apply to much of the southern end of the GCR main line.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Joint line ran as far north as Ashendon Junction, not Wycombe.

Status
Not open for further replies.