• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines where semaphore signals are still used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Has Marchwood on the Fawley branch already been mentioned, which also has a set of manual crossing gates?
Indeed - still in use. Here it is - and I would have included today's class 701 move to Eastleigh, if the darn thing hadn't departed an hour earlier than booked (whilst I was still on the motorway....)

Attachments

• Marchwood_1.JPG
    Marchwood_1.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 112
  • Marchwood_2a.jpg
    Marchwood_2a.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 112

The exile

Established Member
As an aside to this thread, how many of the remaining mechanical boxes have more than one signaller at a time (other than shift handovers)?

matchmaker

Established Member
As an aside to this thread, how many of the remaining mechanical boxes have more than one signaller at a time (other than shift handovers)?
Stirling Middle certainly has (or had prior to the coal traffic to Longannet ceasing) two, one on the frame and one on the SAK panel.

cin88

Heaton Norris, Stockport 1 and 2.

Castleton East Jn when required due to daytime diversions caused by the Transpennine Route Upgrade due to the problems with bridge 48A.

Severn Tunnel Jn.

MadMac

Stirling Middle certainly has (or had prior to the coal traffic to Longannet ceasing) two, one on the frame and one on the SAK panel.
I can’t think of anywhere else mechanical remaining in Scotland that could warrant (or indeed, accommodate) two at once!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Noticed a fine set st St Erth yesterday - lower quadrant, of course (although there is a colour light on the branch, approaching from St Ives)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Fine pair of dollies and cruciform finials - are these phottable from public land?
Yes. I was standing in the road that crosses the line; and then from a residential parking area adjacent to the former station

There's also residential parking close to the MoD reception/exchange sidings - with the perimeter fence conveniently next to those houses

androdas

Has the Blyth and Tyne been mentioned? It has semaphores controlled by Newsham, Bedlington N&S, Marcheys House and North Seaton GB but is currently in the process of being resignalled which will, as far as I know, only leave the signals at Winning Crossing Junction on the freight only North Blyth branch as the last semaphores on the line.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Post #152 (Wednesday) I added photos of Marchwood (Fawley branch) semaphores, minus any rail traffic.

Today, the MoD service ran to booked time; so photos of semaphores and Shed are on my thread:

SWFreight

Are the Park Junction semaphores still in place? If so, any idea of when the work to replace them will take place? Thanks in advance for any info.
Park Junction semaphores are still in place. Not sure when they are due to go. There are several colour light signals in the area, bagged up with a white cross on them to indicate they are not in use.

Snow1964

Established Member
Most of the Cornish mainline between Liskeard and St Erth is still semaphores, all but Liskeard and St Erth are due to be replaced over the next year or so though.

Also St Blazey and Goonbarrow Junction on the Newquay branch still have them.

Seems some definite dates now exist for some of Cornish resignalling, seemed to have picked fortnight after school half term week

Tuesday 31 October to Sunday 12 November​

This closure will affect trains in three phases:

• Tuesday 31 October to Sunday 5 November – Line closed between St Austell to St Erth (including the branch line to Falmouth Docks)
  • Monday 6 to Friday 10 November – Line closed between Liskeard to St Erth (including branch lines to Newquay and Falmouth Docks)
  • Weekend of 11 and 12 November – Line closed between Plymouth to St Erth (including branch lines to Looe, Newquay and Falmouth Docks)

Monday 20 November​

The branch line between Liskeard and Looe will be closed for level crossing upgrades.

D869

The lack of a business case (i.e. money) will mean some 1970s and 1980s MAS ‘panels’ will live on for a while longer.

Even Gloucester looks set to be delayed again.
Will the building stay open to control the level crossing?

Annetts key

Established Member
Will the building stay open to control the level crossing?
Unlikely. It will most likely become controlled from elsewhere.

For example, when TVSC Didcot took over various existing PSBs which controlled level crossings, control of the CCTV crossings was transferred to TVSC Didcot as well.

D869

At Gloucester? Doubt it, it will just go obstacle detection or CCTV and be remotely monitored.
Unlikely. It will most likely become controlled from elsewhere.

For example, when TVSC Didcot took over various existing PSBs which controlled level crossings, control of the CCTV crossings was transferred to TVSC Didcot as well.
Thanks for the replies. It's close to the hospital and I've seen the gates lifted with lights still flashing to let an ambulance through in the past. Not really a sensible route for emergency vehicles, though. So the plan was to close Gloucester PSB next month but this has been deferred yet again?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies. It's close to the hospital and I've seen the gates lifted with lights still flashing to let an ambulance through in the past. Not really a sensible route for emergency vehicles, though. So the plan was to close Gloucester PSB next month but this has been deferred yet again?
Doubt it will be prior to 2026. It was never going to be this year, the project has hardly started.

merry

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but much of the Crewe to Derby line is worked by Semaphores.
Worth mentioning that I was told (during an organised technical visit) that Uttoxeter box on that line was the last mechanical box built by BR (open 1981). And very generously sized it is too! Not only that, Tutbury Crossing is apparently the oldest surviving UK box.

gcr66

Much of the Syston to Peterborough including a Midland Railway one at Ketton.
Are there any other "classic" lower quadrant signals like the one at Ketton, not on or near the old GWR region?

I can't remember seeing a LQ semaphore signal outside of the usual South West ish part of the country.

Veteran Member
Are there any other "classic" lower quadrant signals like the one at Ketton, not on or near the old GWR region?
Fairly sure that was the last survivor, and it has been like that for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.