• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lines where semaphore signals are still used

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Don’t forget “Anderson’s Piano.”

Up and down home and sectional signals at Manea are in with a shout (the distants are colour light.) Whittlesea also.

Unless that’s all changed now. @dk1 should be able to confirm.

King’s Dyke is lever controlled but all colour light. Lovely little box that.
I only ever pass through as a passenger as don't sign that route at my depot mate.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Since this is Rail UK Forums, I needn't feel guilty asking if there are still any semaphore signals on the railway in Northern Ireland?

This link suggests the last truly mechanical signalbox to close in NI was at Castlerock in 2016. But I suspect a few semaphore signals of the somersault type lasted longer (still do?) at Portrush - although not necessarily in regular daily use.

The exile

Established Member
They were still there last year but looking very derelict (That’s the Portrush somersaults)

vic-rijrode

Reminds me of the new semaphore signals (since removed) which were installed at Banbury some time in the 2010s I believe?

-Peter
A number (at least 3) of new semaphore signals (Lower Quadrant!) were installed at the southern end of Banbury's Down platforms in 2010. These were to enable trains to be diverted off the mainline at Didcot, up through Oxford to Banbury where they reversed to go down the Chiltern mainline. This was due to the blockade at Reading when they expanded that station. They lasted until 2016 when the whole area was resignalled and the 2 signalboxes at Banbury were demolished.

Railsigns

Established Member
A number (at least 3) of new semaphore signals (Lower Quadrant!) were installed at the southern end of Banbury's Down platforms in 2010.
The attached photo shows the new signals in 2013. Two semaphores and one disc.

Attachments

• Banbury South 27-06-2013.jpg
    Banbury South 27-06-2013.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 132

zwk500

Veteran Member
The finials are a nice touch, although the working platform seems somewhat over the top for the height the signals appear to be at!

Trainlog

Does the Isle of Grain line still use Semaphore signals? Saw them on there 10 years back but not sure if they are still there.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Does the Isle of Grain line still use Semaphore signals? Saw them on there 10 years back but not sure if they are still there.
I think the Cliffe Sidings Jn still has some, and there may be one at the Level crossing by the Oil terminal although it may have been replaced by a 'Stop and Telephone' board or similar.

TheSel

St Helens Station and Crewe Steel Works have some shunt discs under the wires.

By way of example, here's a shot I took recently at St Helens Central, with 60056 passing through working an Ashton-in-Makerfield to Tuebrook stone train.

Attachments

• 60056 - St Helens Central.jpg
    60056 - St Helens Central.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Moreton on Lugg is now colour light signal (was resignalled back in October last year) as I understand it, The down Main set of semaphores at Bromfield are to be replaced next.....not sure when though

That'll stop the messing around we had to do with the wire tensioner on the UP Section signal when the temperatures rose, and the "heavy pull" on another signal.

8A Rail

Established Member
St Helens Station and Crewe Steel Works have some shunt discs under the wires.
Here is another image of the shunt signal in action at St Helens Central along with a bus or two! :lol:
38424419271_64acaeafc9_z.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
A number (at least 3) of new semaphore signals (Lower Quadrant!) were installed at the southern end of Banbury's Down platforms in 2010. These were to enable trains to be diverted off the mainline at Didcot, up through Oxford to Banbury where they reversed to go down the Chiltern mainline. This was due to the blockade at Reading when they expanded that station. They lasted until 2016 when the whole area was resignalled and the 2 signalboxes at Banbury were demolished.
Ah yes - thank you! I thought the First Great Western diversions had something to do with it. Without wishing to derail the thread, I don't suppose you know if these were salvaged? They look like they could've been useful for a heritage railway or something.

Thanks for sharing this - if it wasn't for their good condition, I'd have said they were original (or close)!

-Peter

cin88

Castleton still has one semaphore main aspect controlling the exit from the Up and Down Through Sidings and a load of shunting disks dotted about.

Annetts key

Established Member
After all - even the 1970s mas signalling schemes are now coming up for renewal and often in a more parlous state than the much older semaphore installations.
The lack of a business case (i.e. money) will mean some 1970s and 1980s MAS ‘panels’ will live on for a while longer.

Even Gloucester looks set to be delayed again.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Yes, an impressive collection, along with some at the next box to the west, Bo Peep Junction. The layout at Ore to the east is all colour light signalled, fully track circuited and equipped with electrical point machines, but controlled by mechanical levers at Hastings signal box, using frame space liberated when the Hastings station layout was simplified.
I don't remember seeing any semaphores at Bo-Peep Junction: all colour light