• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Littleport to Brighton and an enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelnrail

I'm planning on making a day trip from Littleport to Brighton on either the 16th or 24th of July. Looking on National Rail, it seems all TSGN trains traveling between these 2 stations use anytime tickets, which are pretty expensive even if i do buy in advance. Is there an alternative to anytime tickets between these 2 stops?

And if the only option is anytime tickets, I would like to take the opportunity to ride on the Class 442 from Gatwick (or Brighton if they go that far) to Victoria in the afternoon/evening. I assume since Gatwick Express is operated by Southern, the tickets are valid on this service. Is that true?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
I'm planning on making a day trip from Littleport to Brighton on either the 16th or 24th of July. Looking on National Rail, it seems all TSGN trains traveling between these 2 stations use anytime tickets, which are pretty expensive even if i do buy in advance. Is there an alternative to anytime tickets between these 2 stops?

And if the only option is anytime tickets, I would like to take the opportunity to ride on the Class 442 from Gatwick (or Brighton if they go that far) to Victoria in the afternoon/evening. I assume since Gatwick Express is operated by Southern, the tickets are valid on this service. Is that true?

There's 10 different fares depending on your time(s) and day(s) of travel.

The cheapest, Super Off Peak Day tickets are only valid on Saturday/Sunday, so they are no good. (£29.00)

The next cheapest are Off Peak Day tickets - valid to depart Littleport on the 08:50 and later services, return any time that day after 09:30. (£43.10)

Anytime tickets are available for departures before 08:50 OUT / 09:30 RTN. (£62.90)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Great Northern currently have an on-line promotion where Super Off Peak Day Returns are available on weekdays. So £29 return for Littleport to Brighton. To be fair there are time restrictions - the earliest you can leave Littleport is 1017 and there are evening peak restrictions. You must purchase via Great Northern's website.

A normal Off Peak Day Return is £43.10 with which the earliest you can leave is 0850. There are no evening peak restrictions on the return.

If you need to leave Littleport before 0850 then an Anytime Day Return is £62.90.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I assume since Gatwick Express is operated by Southern, the tickets are valid on this service. Is that true?
Southern are required to accept tickets in accordance with the NRCoC, and there is no reason whatsoever why they should not accept your ticket.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Littleport - Brighton tickets are issued route:+Any Permitted so perfectly valid on the Southern operated Gatwick Express.

wheelnrail

Ah i see, now it makes more sense! Well at least i have a cheaper option. Thank you.

One last thing, for my return leg I plan on breaking off en route between Victoria and Kings Cross. Is it possible to break and resume at the same Underground station?

causton

Established Member
Ah i see, now it makes more sense! Well at least i have a cheaper option. Thank you.

One last thing, for my return leg I plan on breaking off en route between Victoria and Kings Cross. Is it possible to break and resume at the same Underground station?

No, if you leave at an Underground station you must either buy another ticket or make your own way to Kings Cross to continue the rail journey - you can only make one journey on the Underground per ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You get one cross-London transfer from a station on the approved list, and once you exit that's it, the end of your cross-London transfer. The cross-London transfer should be appropriate/reasonable. See London Underground & DLR

Status
Not open for further replies.