• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool City Region Franchising model (Echo 20/02/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, that's an example, they do exist but in Germany and the Netherlands they're at practically every set of lights. Made easier by their law allowing the use of tram signals for buses, something we should adopt, as then you don't need a traffic island.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
Yes, that's an example, they do exist but in Germany and the Netherlands they're at practically every set of lights. Made easier by their law allowing the use of tram signals for buses, something we should adopt, as then you don't need a traffic island.
I agree with that but Merseyside doesn't have trams. Therefore, the point stands that he removed bus lanes because he doesn't like buses and if he could, he would scrap them and make everyone drive into Liverpool.

ivanhoe

I agree with that but Merseyside doesn't have trams. Therefore, the point stands that he removed bus lanes because he doesn't like buses and if he could, he would scrap them and make everyone drive into Liverpool.
Where did you here this? Coopers Bar? The Globe? (Just opposite Central Station)Anderson has many detractors but I’ve never heard him say he hates buses. I agree he removed the Bus Lanes but the point that Bletchleyite has made is valid and a helpful input to the debate.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Where did you here this? Coopers Bar? The Globe? (Just opposite Central Station)Anderson has many detractors but I’ve never heard him say he hates buses. I agree he removed the Bus Lanes but the point that Bletchleyite has made is valid and a helpful input to the debate.
Ok, if he doesn't hate buses, he just really dislikes them. He wants to ban buses from the main city centre and stop all buses infront of Lime Street meaning bus passengers can't get where they want to go. He took away almost all bus lanes in Liverpool. He wants to extend the M62 into Liverpool to help non public transport passengers get into the city quicker.

All of his policies are car centric and anti bus! Just because he doesn't say 'I hate buses', it doesn't mean that isn't what he thinks. It's clear he is against buses when you look at what he does.

Bus lanes can be and are still useful when not complimented by bus priority. Maybe we should scrap all bus lanes in the UK which don't have bus priority signals!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Bus lanes can be and are still useful when not complimented by bus priority. Maybe we should scrap all bus lanes in the UK which don't have bus priority signals!

We should certainly do an audit of them and scrap any that don't bring any benefit to buses. The ones on Midsummer Blvd in MK are a primary example, all they do is cause accidents.

markymark2000

On Moderation
We should certainly do an audit of them and scrap any that don't bring any benefit to buses. The ones on Midsummer Blvd in MK are a primary example, all they do is cause accidents.
Every bus lane is different but I believe those in Liverpool did provide journey time benefits. In your example, part of the reason it causes accidents is the surrounding areas. It wouldn't change if the bus lane was taken up.

In Liverpool, most of the instances of where traffic had to cross the bus lane was signalled with a 'left only except buses' and the bus lane then continued past the lights.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Every bus lane is different but I believe those in Liverpool did provide journey time benefits. In your example, part of the reason it causes accidents is the surrounding areas. It wouldn't change if the bus lane was taken up.

No, the bus lanes have no benefit because there is no congestion on those roads. The only place where there is congestion is the set of traffic lights at the top, where a right-lane bus lane and traffic light overtake would provide benefit...this is not provided, naturally.

The accidents would be reduced or eliminated entirely if the bus lanes were removed as they are all caused by cars turning left across the front of buses. Without the bus lanes the cars would simply drive in the left hand lane, with the right hand lane only used by vehicles turning right or overtaking stationary buses, because, er, there's no congestion.

markymark2000

On Moderation
No, the bus lanes have no benefit because there is no congestion on those roads. The only place where there is congestion is the set of traffic lights at the top, where a right-lane bus lane and traffic light overtake would provide benefit...this is not provided, naturally.

The accidents would be reduced or eliminated entirely if the bus lanes were removed as they are all caused by cars turning left across the front of buses. Without the bus lanes the cars would simply drive in the left hand lane, with the right hand lane only used by vehicles turning right or overtaking stationary buses, because, er, there's no congestion.
Every bus lane is still different and the majority (some bus lanes were useless) were useful. I wasn't going to comment in depth about MK as this is a Liverpool tread!

Status
Not open for further replies.