• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime St remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Established Member
Hello

I understand that Lime Street main line station will close completely for 9 days, from 30 September 2017, to enable NR to realign the platforms & carry out work needed to increase capacity.

The NR website doesn't have much information about this at present, (understandable given its a way off & there is already a considerable bit of work being undertaken on the Wirral Line). That said, I was under the impression that for all the work to be done, there would need to be two separate closures of Lime St, one this year, with another early next year.

Does anyone know if a second closure will be needed & if so, when that's likely to happen?

I've seen some of the graphics so am up to speed with what the work entails, but I'm just looking ahead for planning my own diary as well as those of colleagues at work.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
An addendum to your question may also be whether there's any news on Network Rail's plans for the permanent repair of the tunnel/cutting wall that collapsed outside of Lime Street.

My understanding is that the repair done was to a degree temporary and there would need to be a full close of Lime Street at some point to complete the job - not sure if this is still the case, or if it can/will be tied into the remodelling closures?

pdeaves

Established Member
My understanding is that the repair done was to a degree temporary and there would need to be a full close of Lime Street at some point to complete the job - not sure if this is still the case, or if it can/will be tied into the remodelling closures?

I have been told by someone closer to the incident than me that the full repair should happen at the same time as the September closure.

They may, of course, be mistaken or the plan may change.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What's the building going up opposite the end of Platform 9-10?
Is it replacement facilities for those on the platforms to allow them to be moved/demolished?
That would be eg the Virgin passenger lounge, cash machines etc.
I see the ugly "big black box" has been demolished at the far end of P9/10.

Polarbear

Established Member
Is it replacement facilities for those on the platforms to allow them to be moved/demolished?

I can't say for certain, but I do know that the existing VT lounge does have to be demolished to enable the platforms to be re-aligned.

GW43125

Established Member
Does this remodelling mean the end of Lime St box?

jamesst

There still appears to be no plan as to where services will start/terminate.

Trains from the Wigan and Chat Moss direction will terminate at Huyton, trains from the south and the Cheshire Lines to terminate at Liverpool South Parkway.
Merseyrail to offer strengthened services between Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Central to offer a city centre link.

8A Rail

Established Member
You mean between Platforms 7 & 8 as there is no Platform 10 at present, although with the new layout there will be, with the "new" Platforms 7 & 8 will be between the exisiting Platform 7 & 8. Clear as mud eh! :lol:

GW43125

Established Member
Yes, and also Edge Hill, Allerton, Speke, Ditton, Runcorn and Halton Jn.
Control goes to Manchester ROC (which already controls the Huyton area).

That's a shame. Going to go down to only Maidstone EAst then.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a link for details on the works please? Just when I thought I had the entire layout all covered but for platform 6!

WatcherZero

Established Member
JS85384052.jpg

JS85384054.jpg

Centre sidings gone to allow platform widening and straightening, one platform split to form two additional platform faces, platform track next to the roof supports removed, platform 1 next to the staff buildings/goods entrance also removed.

In the car park area/former BTP office building behind platform one a supermarket will go in accessed from Lord Nelson street outside and the station concourse will be extended with 4 more retail units.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That is exceptionally handy, thanks for the low-down.

Making the platforms wider will certainly be a good thing, considering just how busy they get currently.

I'm not sure the removal of platform 1 will be a good thing, but hopefully allowances for it to go back in one day will be made. Overall it sounds like the scheme will make a big difference.

I just need to remember not to book a trip to Liverpool in September!

DJH1971

Established Member
Trains from the Wigan and Chat Moss direction will terminate at Huyton, trains from the south and the Cheshire Lines to terminate at Liverpool South Parkway.
Merseyrail to offer strengthened services between Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Central to offer a city centre link.

Wonder if there are plans to compensate season ticket holders for the inconvenience, as this will obviously increase journey times considerably especially as the roads into Liverpool will be chaotic.

adam9413

Virgin Trains are now using Platform 9 at Lime Street. The end of platform 7 has been closed off to passengers/staff and the ATMs near platform 7 are now unavailable.

Geeves

Established Member
I believe Edge Hill will be closed due to works on the signalling system and its transfer to Manchester ROC.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Virgin Trains are now using Platform 9 at Lime Street. The end of platform 7 has been closed off to passengers/staff and the ATMs near platform 7 are now unavailable.

Virgin still using P7 today, though there is very limited platform access as you describe.

M28361M

When Lime Street was inaccessible after the cutting collapse, Northern did turn some trains from the Warrington Central line at Edge Hill, but everything from the Chat Moss direction terminated at Huyton.

There is already a note on the Virgin Trains "planned improvements" page stating that from 30 September-22 October their Liverpool trains will terminate at South Parkway with Merseyrail connection onward to Liverpool Central.

Ploughman

Established Member
During the remodelling work I would think that some sort of access for engineering trains and plant will be needed.
Edge Hill area may be best for that and if the case then terminating stoppers there may get in the way of the works.
Possibly easier to turn round at Huyton.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Can only get 5 on at LPY so cant see virgin terminating there. There isnt any turnback at LPY for P1 and 2 where TPE and EMT services would terminate. At a guess I would suggest LM and Northern probably will run to LPY with virgin turning back at runcorn and TPE and EMT at either MAN or WAC with some peak extensions to Hunts Cross.

Of course the details are still being worked out so we will see

LowLevel

Established Member
Can only get 5 on at LPY so cant see virgin terminating there. There isnt any turnback at LPY for P1 and 2 where TPE and EMT services would terminate. At a guess I would suggest LM and Northern probably will run to LPY with virgin turning back at runcorn and TPE and EMT at either MAN or WAC with some peak extensions to Hunts Cross.

I was under the impression you can shunt from platform 2 to the down slow and back to platform 1 on the up fast via the dollies located for such a purpose?

jamess

Is South Parkway able to take a Pendo?

When Lime Street was inaccessible after the cutting collapse, Northern did turn some trains from the Warrington Central line at Edge Hill, but everything from the Chat Moss direction terminated at Huyton.

There is already a note on the Virgin Trains "planned improvements" page stating that from 30 September-22 October their Liverpool trains will terminate at South Parkway with Merseyrail connection onward to Liverpool Central.

jamess

A Virgin TM told me that they were going to run in via WBQ. is this possible?

fowler9

Established Member
I was under the impression you can shunt from platform 2 to the down slow and back to platform 1 on the up fast via the dollies located for such a purpose?

Indeed, after the landslip between Lime Street and Edge Hill I saw trains swapping platforms that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.