• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Lime Street & 390/1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Random One

Apologies if this has been discussed before --
My understanding is that Liverpool Lime St's long distance platforms (7 & 8) are 245 and 247m long, respectively, with an additional 4-5m before the starter signal available.
However, if therailwaycentre.com is to be believed, an 11-car 390/1 is in excess of 260m in length.
I'm aware that 390/1s can, and do, call in to Lime Street, so how do they do it without being in section for the running line from 7 & 8?
(I'm aware that SDO can be used to allow safe boarding/alighting)

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
They fit in the platform fine and are nowhere near the end of the platform, one of those measurements must be wrong?

Ploughman

Established Member
There is a mention of this in current Modern Railways.
Stating length limitations at Lime St. Cannot remember definate details.
Are the Liverpool sets the same length as other WCML sets? or are they shorter?

sprinterguy

Established Member
All the Pendolinos are in either nine or eleven carriage formation, and are used fairly indiscriminately across all Virgin's electric services, including Liverpool.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm more inclined to believe that the carriage length measurements are wrong (at 23.9m),
As The Planner essentially says, the carriage lengths are not wrong. Pendolino carriages are 23.9 metres long - The driving vehicles are actually longer, at 24.8 metres.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
There is a mention of this in current Modern Railways.
Stating length limitations at Lime St. Cannot remember definate details.

Wasnt that about extending Pendolinos to 12-car that Lime St was a problem?

Ibex

I can't remember the exact issue in the staff briefing issued when 11 cars first started running around (shall have a look tomorrow) but I believe only platform 7 can take 390/1 units.

507 001

Established Member
I can't remember the exact issue in the staff briefing issued when 11 cars first started running around (shall have a look tomorrow) but I believe only platform 7 can take 390/1 units.

AFAIK P8 can take them.

I've seen 9 car pendos in P6 before now, and they only just fit. I'm just waiting for the day soebody tries to put an eleven car in there.......

RailwayDan

I have also seen a 9 car 390 in Platform 6.

The 05.27 (M-F) is an 11 car and leaves from Platform 7.
The 06.05 (M-F) is also an 11 car and leaves from Platform 8.

There is also a 9 car 390 which usually appears in Platform 9 on Sundays (either the 15.48 or the 16.48 - I can't remember of the bat)

Status
Not open for further replies.