• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor1967

Just a quick question. I am visiting London soon and intend to spend some time on Livepool Street station. The last time I was there, it was before it was remodelled and 37/47s were taking the trains north and it still had an 08 station pilot. Happy days !!.
Since remodelling which is the best platform to observe all the trains from entering/leaving. Recent photos appear to show half the station under a big office/shopping centre ? so your help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SqUaShIe P

It depends on which trains you wish to observe.
for all the national rail services, its platforms 1-18. These 18 platforms are split into two seperate sections, platforms 1-10 on one said and platforms 11-18 on the other side.
As a generalisation of the platform uses, platforms 1-10 can be used for suburban services, platfroms 5-14 can be used for mainline services and platformd 13-18 are for metro services.
If you go onto the left-hand section (platfroms 1-10), you will probably see classes: 170, 315, 317, 360 and 90+Mk III
If you go onto the right-hand section (platfroms 11-18 ), you are likely to see classes: 315, 321, 360 and 90+Mk III (you could get a 170 on this side but i havnt seen one on this side yet)

**all the info above is off the top of my head, but i think its right**

Razor1967

Thanks for your replies, Im on quite a tight schedule as coming down from Stratford. I know Bethnal Green is a good spot before the lines seperate but no direct trains from Stratford to Bethnal Green. Ideally I would like to spend the time at Liv Street but it appears it is almost two seperate stations. Just to confirm there is no actual platform (longest ?) where you can see all the action. Basically I need all the Nat Express 90s and all the units so I would prefer to see it all without going back out to Bethnal Green.

Razor1967

Thanks for the replies , looks like a little tweak to my itinery and its off to Bethanl Green !

CCF23

You could get the central line from Stratford to Bethnal Green but then face about 10 minute walk (which is signposted) and at Liverpool Street the original platforms from 1 to i think around 9/10 are better than the modern ones for pictures as they give better light and are not underground. Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.