• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LM 12 Car 350s to Birmingham: How often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
Not related to me in any form, but quite interested anyways.

Does this happen often? Or at all? If so, what times?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Never as far as I'm aware. Most to Birmingham is 8 cars.

MCR247

Established Member
Generally most a 4 car by the time they reach Birmingham, with the rear 4/8 detaching at Northampton

J-2739

Established Member
Cheers.

I'm guessing its the suburban platforms in Birmingham that's the problem. If so, are they considering lengthening the platforms to accommodate the new supposedly 5 car trains as paired up?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I was once on a 12-car heading back from Euston to Northampton (and thence to Birmingham). When Northampton loop was blocked by something, train ran directly via Weedon, but with train splitting at Coventry to avoid sending 12-cars into New St.

ChrisHogan

Can any of the intermediate LM stations even hold 12 cars (bar Coventry/Birmingham International)?
Hampton-in-Arden can although part is disused now so its operational length is 184 metres.

All the others are between 168 and 185 metres in length except for Stechford on the Down Stour that's only 134 metres. 5x23 metres shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
Cheers.

I'm guessing its the suburban platforms in Birmingham that's the problem. If so, are they considering lengthening the platforms to accommodate the new supposedly 5 car trains as paired up?

I'm not sure its the problem, I don't think there's any need really. There is/was a morning service booked off New St with 8 cars with the rear 4 coming into use at Coventry, although I can't remember what time it was and i don't know if that is still the case

AndrewE

Established Member
LM class 350s to Birmingham... And there I was thinking "'Ive never seen more than 4!" - but that was from Liverpool of course!

louis97

Established Member
Hampton-in-Arden can although part is disused now so its operational length is 184 metres.

All the others are between 168 and 185 metres in length except for Stechford on the Down Stour that's only 134 metres. 5x23 metres shouldn't be a problem in the future.

...and Adderley Park where the Down is 96 metres and Up is 97 metres. Not quite long enough for 5x23 metres but not a problem for a lightly used station.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Around Christmas 2015 my family did get a LM service from Birmingham that was 8 cars until Northampton and 12 after there. All 8 cars appeared to be in use from Birmingham.

E_Reeves

Established Member
On another note, I've seen a 7-car 170 formation through Nuneaton. I'm surprised it fitted on the platform!

LowLevel

Established Member
On another note, I've seen a 7-car 170 formation through Nuneaton. I'm surprised it fitted on the platform!

7 car HSTs have called before as well during disruption or special events when the Sunday diversions via Leicester are on - the latest was this year some time..

HLE

Established Member
An unusual occurrence but it does happen from time to time.

SDO for most platforms between Birmingham and Northampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.