• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LM restructuring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
London Midland has announced a restructuring plan. The company says it is facing rising costs and the proposed changes will focus on head office and support staff.

Managing director, Patrick Verwer said, “The service to our passengers will not be affected by the changes. We have made good progress over the last year. Our train service is much improved and higher customer satisfaction scores tell us passengers can see the difference.

“Like every other business however, we have to keep our costs under control. Our proposal has been designed to increase efficiency and reduce our costs while continuing to improve trains and station services.”

London Midland will now begin its consultation with its employees. The proposals will reduce the number of posts in the company by about 150.

The quote from the page, it took forever to load for some reason. Maybe it's just my internet, maybe it's the load on their server, either way quoting the statement is probably a good thing.

Some of the guards at work were talking about this earlier, the ones who mix in RMT circles, and apparently the revenue protection team might be the ones who get hit once the gateline at Birmingham New Street becomes operational. Take that with a large pinch of salt of course. I'm not privy to any secret information.

LowLevel

Established Member
Apparently they want to displace all revenue protection inspectors, assistant ticket examiners and ticket checkers and replace the grades with a (lower paid, of course) jack of all trades revenue protection grade or automatic barriers.

the sniper

Established Member
http://www.londonmidland.com/about-...n-midland-announces-restructuring-plan-977159

Just an idea. What if some of the 150 staff were moved to staffing stations and on revenue protection, would that not give the LM balance sheet a better result?

LowLevel's said it... plus manning stations is already less of a priority than revenue protection, which can't be described as a high priority now, let alone in the future.

Apparently they want to displace all revenue protection inspectors, assistant ticket examiners and ticket checkers and replace the grades with a (lower paid, of course) jack of all trades revenue protection grade or automatic barriers.

And for the RPIs in particular, worse conditions, undoubtedly. Apparently they're getting rid of 50 jobs across the revenue department, the 80 remaining being in the new grade.

Last edited:

Qwerty133

Established Member
Some of the guards at work were talking about this earlier, the ones who mix in RMT circles, and apparently the revenue protection team might be the ones who get hit once the gateline at Birmingham New Street becomes operational. Take that with a large pinch of salt of course. I'm not privy to any secret information.

Can't say that's a bad thing, I don't need interrogating as to why I'm not at school... when there apologising for a shortage of drivers due to it being half term.
And on any other occasion I've been through either a bite card or just not showing anything has been sufficient.
Of course job losses are always a bad thing, but if turn over is as high for train crew grades as they make out, some affected staff will hopefully be able to move elsewhere in the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.