• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Train Driver - Kings Cross (14/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BlackAdam

I just did them with another TOC and passed with enhanced scores I believe, as the TOC wanted enhanced and I got through thankfully!
I passed enhanced with another TOC too. So i won't need to resit the test if successful with DMI?

BlackAdam

Hey guys! Is there anybody still awaiting the outcome of the video interview? I haven't heard anything back since this email below

"We are currently working through 1000's of applications. We appreciate your patience whilst we undertake this..." that was sent early March.

I've contacted the recruitment email No response been up to a month. Any advice or anyone else experiencing the same thing

RailwayMilitia

So I'm gonna give it a go - but what is the salary/t's and c's like upon qualification.

That £29k as an apprentice is going to be a right dip in pay for me (I'm on £37k ish at the moment) but I know it'll shoot up at some point.

I'm guessing it is apprentice rate for the entire 52 weeks?

TreacleMiller

So I'm gonna give it a go - but what is the salary/t's and c's like upon qualification.

That £29k as an apprentice is going to be a right dip in pay for me (I'm on £37k ish at the moment) but I know it'll shoot up at some point.

I'm guessing it is apprentice rate for the entire 52 weeks?

No.

29k for your first 16-18 weeks of rules and traction. 40k whilst out driving, until qualified.

71k + London weighting from the day you qualify.

golfsareus

No.

29k for your first 16-18 weeks of rules and traction. 40k whilst out driving, until qualified.

71k + London weighting from the day you qualify.
Very good considering what other TOCs pay tbf like GA where I work is 32k for the entirety of training until qualified then 52k

SGriffin

Hi guys just wanted to let everyone know I’ve had an email asking me to book a face to face interview for Friday. I hadn’t heard anything since I took my video interview in Feb. I have passed all psychometric tests and a CBI since that though so maybe that’s why but worth a check of your emails for anyone that is waiting

SGriffin

Hi all,

Does anyone know if avanti have a higher pass mark for the psychometric tests then LNER? I have passed with avanti and have been offered an MMI with LNER as the final stage but I’d rather not have to re do any tests too haha

BlackAdam

Hi all,

Does anyone know if avanti have a higher pass mark for the psychometric tests then LNER? I have passed with avanti and have been offered an MMI with LNER as the final stage but I’d rather not have to re do any tests too haha
Do it!! You in a win/win situation! The MMI only overrides CBI if you pass the MMI. If you fail it doesn’t effect your CBI at all it just means you’ll only have one more try with MMI to pass again. Confirm with OPC what I’m saying is accurate. But I was told this recently by an OPC assessor about this as I was put in a similar scenario.

SGriffin

I THINK if I fail the MMI, I lose the CBI. , as I passed with an enhanced pass already and avanti where happy with the score.

Last edited:

Class2ldn

Generally the mmi is the last part so if thats all they've asked you to take then I'd say that's all they require

SGriffin

Generally the mmi is the last part so if thats all they've asked you to take then I'd say that's all they require
Yeah they’ve sent me the generic email to say attend the psychometric test day, I’ve emailed LNER to find out what exactly I’ll need to take.

Chippychips

I THINK if I fail the MMI, I lose the CBI. I’m willing to take the risk I think.. but I don’t want to retake any of the tests again, as I passed with an enhanced pass already and avanti where happy with the score.

I just don’t know if LNER have a lower, or the same pass mark as avanti so I won’t have to re take them on the day. Was wondering if anyone knew.
Did you sit your assessments and CBI more than 6 months ago?

Chippychips

Nope it was under 6 months ago, roughly 2-3, I passed them all though.
I don't think you would be able to sit them. Even if you passed them... because a pass can mean anything from national standard upwards.

From OPC webpage:
"With the driver assessment process being a national process, all registered assessment centres will undertake checks on everyone that applies to ensure that these tests are only undertaken once within a 6 month period"

Maybe contact the OPC or LNER to double check if you might be able to sit MMI, but if its classed as a "structured interview" like the CBI, and is within 6 months then you are most likely going to have to sit this one out bud...

SGriffin

That’s interesting, I’ll double check. I did mention it was this year that I’d passed the CBI at my interview and they seemed to think I’d be able to take the MMI, but thanks for letting me know, I’ll definitely look into it

SA91

That’s interesting, I’ll double check. I did mention it was this year that I’d passed the CBI at my interview and they seemed to think I’d be able to take the MMI, but thanks for letting me know, I’ll definitely look into it
The CBI and MMI are different tests. So you can do both within 6 month period. The 6 month waiting period is only to redo the same tests.

I THINK if I fail the MMI, I lose the CBI. I’m willing to take the risk I think.. but I don’t want to retake any of the tests again, as I passed with an enhanced pass already and avanti where happy with the score.

I just don’t know if LNER have a lower, or the same pass mark as avanti so I won’t have to re take them on the day. Was wondering if anyone knew.
Avanti don't do MMI, they do CBI. So the standards for LNERs MMI have no bearing on Avanti's standards. If it is only the MMI you need to do, then they've accepted your passes with Avanti for the other tests.

Your main point of contention and thinking should be regarding your first couple of sentences in the above post. If you're willing to take the risk, go for it.

General1

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I was just wondering if anyone has had an update on their applications?

JWS

are people still in the dark regarding this drive? Bit strange if they haven’t cleared this recruitment drive before opening another?

SGriffin

are people still in the dark regarding this drive? Bit strange if they haven’t cleared this recruitment drive before opening another?
There’s a course starting this month that I’m on so the ball is rolling at least