• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER launching a mascot

azOOOOOma

Well at least a teddy bear can’t turn out to be a n*nce in 30 years time and tarnish the brand…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
And his wages would have been paid for by the taxpayer as well

Any sort of marketing, quirky promotions, branding etc never goes down well on here

Doomotron

They should have used Steamboat Willie, at least they won't need to pay anyone for it.

This is a joke, although I do think it would be funny if they used it.

Last edited:

Trainlog

So LNER joins these TOCs on the mascot bandwagon so far:

GA - Origami hare
TPE - Bucket & spade
SWR - Piegon & seagull (why?? The latter absolutely would tear to shreds & devour the former in real life!)
GWR - Famous Five
EMR - Miles the cat like muppet
You missed out Avanti's one: Turbo the Tortoise.

zero

Well I like it but it will have zero effect on my choice to travel with LNER.

azOOOOOma

Hmmm just seen it for the first time. It’s kinda annoying but from a marking point of view I think it’s quite effective. Catchy tune that gets in your head, mascot etc…

800Travel

Just see the advert - at least Miles is somewhat cute. I find the ad quite annoying tbh, especially given the many instances of recent disruption I’ve been caught up in I certainly don’t feel the freedom to roam around the aisles of full and standing LNER trains!

MrJeeves

Established Member
at least Miles is somewhat cute
I've said this a few times, but Miles looks like a psychotic mass murderer with its beady dark eyes to me.

I don't see this mascot as particularly enticing...

Nightmare fuel.

image.png

Somewhere

Oh goody. Another pointless gimmick mascot. The industry has far more important matters to resolve rather than wasting money on these things. Hopefully, it won't be as ugly as the East Midlands Railway (EMR) 'Devil from Hobbs End'.
There's operational staff in the real world. Then there's head office staff on a different planet

dorsetdesiro

Just seen the advert, it was indicated earlier on from the preview image that Eleanor would be a muppet sort character, I did think she'd be a LNER guard or hostess in uniform however she turned out to be an average rail user like most of everyone - so if LNER are trying to attract the budget conscious but Eleanor could be more likely be seen travelling on the likes of Grand Central or Lumo!

MrJeeves

Established Member
Is that real? I'm never catching an LNER train again if there's a chance that might be on it, it looks like it wants to eat me.
Not to worry: that's exclusive to East Midlands Railway.

Word of warning: don't head upstairs to the Midland Mainline platforms at St Pancras..

QSK19

Is that real? I'm never catching an LNER train again if there's a chance that might be on it, it looks like it wants to eat me.
That is Miles, EMR’s mascot.

I've said this a few times, but Miles looks like a psychotic mass murderer with its beady dark eyes to me.

I don't see this mascot as particularly enticing...

Nightmare fuel.

image.png
Also, with his arms folded, he looks like he’s stopping you get on the train like a bouncer would :lol:

Word of warning: don't head upstairs to the Midland Mainline platforms at St Pancras..
Very wise advice :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
this board is so utterly, utterly predictable! Po faced conservative responses to an, checks notes, advert. Interestingly there is less wailing about costs when trains are re liveried or when Branson rail did some PR stunt. Odd that.

It is a bit of PR fluff that will have zero impact on operations either practically or cost wise. You might as well complain about the free tea bags and milk in the office as this.

LowLevel

Established Member
EDIT - mind you that EMT mascot is quite frightening. Perhaps it is to keep children off the tracks!
Ironically the kids love it, they've just produced a Christmas book and all sorts. I got my niece (age 5) a cuddly Miles from work and she won't put the thing down when she's out travelling around, he has to come with in his little bag.

D365

Veteran Member
I got my niece (age 5) a cuddly Miles from work and she won't put the thing down when she's out travelling around, he has to come with in his little bag.
I purchased a "Miles" when EMR was doing a charity sale, but only to see how the cat would react.