• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER launching a mascot

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I just googled "LNER mascot" and it came up with this terrifying creature.

E-rCGJFXsAQ17iw

To be clear, that’s the Lincoln Imp football team mascot who happens to be beside an LNER train!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder what happened to the duck that, controversially, was going to form part of the Sir Nigel Gresley statue but was withdrawn following letters in The Times. If LNER wanted to change the mascot, maybe the sculptor would do a good deal. Maybe Eleanor could gain a duck sidekick to travel with (do LNER sell duck tickets?).

Indeed. I was just thinking that they've missed a trick by not having Marvin the Mallard as their mascot.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
LNER_Mascot_Eleanor.png

Here's the puppet. Looks alright, the ad is a green-screened puppet to some footage of people in a carriage along to the music. Shouldn't have cost the moon to produce and should help bring some income to LNER.
It looks like Sharon Osbourne pre-cosmetic surgery.

I particularly like the way you've managed to squeeze in a random moan about gender identity :lol:
So do I - brave, in this day and age! :lol:

ExRes

Established Member
Bravo, in a thread of largely grumpy responses, yours is the winner, I particularly like the way you've managed to squeeze in a random moan about gender identity :lol:

Thank you, I was considering giving Brexit a squeeze in as well but thought better of it :D

azOOOOOma

If they’re wanting to get people on then I’m amazed they didn’t show people in first class tucking into a chef prepared meal or their custom onboard beer. That’s what I was expecting when she moves from one carriage to another.

Established Member
Ironically the kids love it, they've just produced a Christmas book and all sorts. I got my niece (age 5) a cuddly Miles from work and she won't put the thing down when she's out travelling around, he has to come with in his little bag.

Which is proof to those naysayers in the thread that a) it has a place and b) EMR can even make some money out of it with the merchandise!

The EMR effort (which I admit I was very cynical about when it first appeared, and I still don’t like the look of!) does seem to have been a big hit, so clearly there is some value in this kind of thing.

Fairly predictable responses on this thread!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
snip

Virgin tried a heavily promoted cola product.
It appeared on the menu in Virgin Trains buffets, listed as 'Virgin Coke'.

After a short time, someone then had to go round with a ball point pen crossing out 'Coke' and writing (scrawling, actually) 'cola' on every one.

Perhaps not the best example of thought through branding, or understanding of trade names. Surprising, really - or not.

TheJester

In terms of expensive TV advertising promoting a broken and ineffective railway, I quite liked “This is the age of the train”.

GordonT

Back in the real world, passengers are dealing with an impending 5% increase in fares, continued ASLEF strike disruption & the DfT had to issue LNER with a breach notice (to be fair, for factors mostly outside of the TOC's direct influence) for breaching the permitted benchmark of service cancellations.
Arguably exactly the type of scenarios that the marketeers would cite as justification for invoking their dark arts!

D1511

As a regular Avanti WC customer, I can confirm that the introduction of a roller skating tortoise has had little impact on my levels of journey dissatisfaction. Had they spent the campaign funds on recruiting some train crew, or paying those they already have, perhaps they might have the odd service north of Preston to advertise in the first place.
LNERs customers' views and their ridership levels will be the ultimate judge of just how much of a waste of time and money this might have been, but I have formed my own opinion already.

43OO4

Point is you get the product right first before you promote it - LNER have not got their product right yet.
When has any TOC "got their product right"? Even with their satisfaction rates I personally hate using C2C. Their interiors are garish early 2000s colour vomit and aren't really the most pleasant of PXes.

GordonT

Virgin are a well-known international brand and its what they’re known for. That gives them some ethos to make a bit of a scene. LNER is quite literally the government’s last minute brand for a train company, and them making out like they’re a glitzy famous brand on the same level is weird. Especially as they haven’t even tried to establish a NEW identity, even riding on Virgin’s colour scheme.
Yebbut surely the current MD (David Horne) and some others in the team were running the show when it was Virgin East Coast so it's perhaps unsurprising that there are echoes of Virgin marketing in the operation? Contrary to widespread opinion a change of ownership doesn't equal a change in management style or the disappearance of key players.

Yebbut surely the current MD (David Horne) and some others in the team were running the show when it was Virgin East Coast so it's perhaps unsurprising that there are echoes of Virgin marketing in the operation? Contrary to widespread opinion a change of ownership doesn't equal a change in management style or the inevitable disappearance of key players.

superalbs

Established Member
Noticed this advert features different seats to what we normally see on LNER trains. Sign of things to come, or editorial decision?

I've attached a few pics showing what I mean, which clearly depict a different model of seat.

sheff1

Established Member
John Galloway, head of marketing, LNER, said, “We’re proud to unveil our new campaign, which reflects our new and improved customer experience."

Can someone let me know what this new improved customer experience is ? Clearly I have missed it ..... unless it relates to LNER Perks offering a catering discount on other operators's trains :o

Energy

Established Member
Noticed this advert features different seats to what we normally see on LNER trains. Sign of things to come, or editorial decision?

I've attached a few pics showing what I mean, which clearly depict a different model of seat.

7a88f8e8-9532-11ed-abb9-0210609a3fe2

Looks the same, definitely an 800/801 with the heater location. The seats look about right though there is an odd grey lump on the back.

The CAF order wouldn't be progressed enough to have a interior mockup yet.

superalbs

Established Member
7a88f8e8-9532-11ed-abb9-0210609a3fe2

Looks the same, definitely an 800/801 with the heater location. The seats look about right though there is an odd grey lump on the back.

The CAF order wouldn't be progressed enough to have a interior mockup yet.
It's definitely not the same. The armrest is differently shaped, the cushion is more rounded, and the seatback has a groove.

Just not sure whether it's a hint at a long overdue refurbishment, or just some random seats they found cheap for filming this ad.