• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER launching a mascot

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

At what point will they have gotten it right so should be allowed to advertise it? They must be one of the best thought of train operators in the UK. OK, there's issues, things like the seating are subjective, but generally speaking they are what other operators aim for.

LNER reminds me of British Airways, A once-loved British brand that still trades on its name and past reputation....

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
LNER reminds me of British Airways, A once-loved British brand that still trades on its name and past reputation....
Was it once loved? None of us were around when the original LNER was. I think a lot of people just love to romanticise the past, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s often not based on own experience.

occone

My take is that anything that tries to encourage more people to take the train is a good thing and if the general public think that trains are old and manky, they won't even consider it. The advert is entirely there to showcase their newish trains to people - without them falling asleep as trains are fantastically boring things to most people.

The actual content of the advert is that it shows the modern looking seats (yes, I know they are uncomfortable, but they do look decent), shows the legroom at the tables, and shows how different people use the train (some sleeping, some with partners, some in groups, families, business trips). The whole point is the viewer gets to see how they might use the train, and the mascot is just for attention - look at us all talking about it!

Let's just say we are not the target market; if we were they'd make something like a Class 800 Azuma faults and failures video with Paul Tyreman (which I would welcome).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Let's just say we are not the target market; if we were they'd make something like a Class 800 Azuma faults and failures video with Paul Tyreman (which I would welcome).
Thanks to him, I can never look at a window again without hearing “Don’t strike it in the middle, as the glass will just flex.” :lol:

It's inoffensive enough but the Fatboy Slim track and the fact the puppet character just looks like she's time travelled back from an all nighter with Bananarama in 1986 , is just strange.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Was it once loved? None of us were around when the original LNER was. I think a lot of people just love to romanticise the past, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s often not based on own experience.
British Airways was a very well liked company before your time, but then again most airlines were. It was quite a bit more glamorous in the 80s and 90s! This is a company which flew Concorde.

thomalex

7a88f8e8-9532-11ed-abb9-0210609a3fe2

Looks the same, definitely an 800/801 with the heater location. The seats look about right though there is an odd grey lump on the back.

The CAF order wouldn't be progressed enough to have a interior mockup yet.

Untitled copy.jpgUntitled-1 copy.jpg

Just looking closer at these the seats are certainly different. Just some differences:

1. The backs of the seats seem a darker grey
  2. The top part of the seat back is more pronounced and squarer in shape with a notable join just above the seat tray. It's almost as they part has been added to the existing seat.
  3. Borth the arm rest and tray have a different hinge design

Established Member
View attachment 149932View attachment 149933

Just looking closer at these the seats are certainly different. Just some differences:

1. The backs of the seats seem a darker grey
  2. The top part of the seat back is more pronounced and squarer in shape with a notable join just above the seat tray. It's almost as they part has been added to the existing seat.
  3. Borth the arm rest and tray have a different hinge design
In reality do you really think Joe Public who the advert is aimed at are going to notice the slight offence in the seat in the advert to what’s actually on the Azuma? I reckon not.

thomalex

In reality do you really think Joe Public who the advert is aimed at are going to notice the slight offence in the seat in the advert to what’s actually on the Azuma? I reckon not.

No. It's more curiosity as to why the seat's are different. Is there a train somewhere with updated versions being tested for example?

RAPC

No. It's more curiosity as to why the seat's are different. Is there a train somewhere with updated versions being tested for example?

More likely this is just a studio based mock-up of a carriage using some available seating. What's available may not represent the active seating in use.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
British Airways was a very well liked company before your time, but then again most airlines were. It was quite a bit more glamorous in the 80s and 90s! This is a company which flew Concorde.
I mean LNER, not BA.

lordbusiness

As a student of military history I always think the N of the LNER rather germanic and oddly similar to the divisional sign of a rather infamous SS Panzer Division.
Also simillar to the symbol used by Gen Zers (and has been seen apparently as a tattoo!)

Christmas

The senior management at LNER are still firmly in Virgin mode. I'd hoped that the company would have been run more like East Coast, but only two years of Virgin brainwashing was all it took.

The mascot is pretty inoffensive, but if they were serious about getting their brand out there, then they could make a start by applying the LNER logo to each and every one of their anonymous white carriages.

Established Member
I mean LNER, not BA.

Mallard was probably the equivalent of Concorde during the 1930s, when there were few motor cars, no motorways and virtually no commercial air traffic.

That’s the romantic and historical ethos the modern brand is intended to evoke. Whether the old LNER was *actually* any good or not is neither here nor there and, and as you say, hardly anybody alive today knows for sure. Hence why it’s a pretty effective piece of marketing.

Last edited:

James101

LNER had been running the ‘I am…doing it all on an LNER train’ ad campaign with the lady in a seat transitioning through different scenarios for most of the previous year or two. This didn’t seem to attract half as much criticism as demonstrated in this thread. Is this just because this campaign attempts at a bit of fun?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Noticed this advert features different seats to what we normally see on LNER trains. Sign of things to come, or editorial decision?

I've attached a few pics showing what I mean, which clearly depict a different model of seat.

I noticed this too. I think it's probably designed because they know the more upright, cheaper seat with thinner cushions which is actually on their trains is much less appealing for those features. These look like they'll be more comfortable - and after all the central claim here is that train travel is better because it's convenient and pleasant. This marketing campaign is primarily about quality, not low prices, so they need to embellish a bit. It's not new for LNER to do this either - in the past the marketing team have used the IC225 seats inside a digital clone of an Azuma to focus on quality.

LNER had been running the ‘I am…doing it all on an LNER train’ ad campaign with the lady in a seat transitioning through different scenarios for most of the previous year or two. This didn’t seem to attract half as much criticism as demonstrated in this thread. Is this just because this campaign attempts at a bit of fun?
There's nothing wrong with cost-effective, honest marketing.

superalbs

Established Member
The senior management at LNER are still firmly in Virgin mode. I'd hoped that the company would have been run more like East Coast, but only two years of Virgin brainwashing was all it took.

The mascot is pretty inoffensive, but if they were serious about getting their brand out there, then they could make a start by applying the LNER logo to each and every one of their anonymous white carriages.

Some people have managed to get offended by it, as this tweet shows. :lol:
Disappointed with @LNER's new mascot, Eleanor. Portraying a white girl with an afro & culturally significant black jewelry is insensitive and a clear case of cultural appropriation.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Perhaps they thought the actual seats looked as uncomfortable as they are.....
They do look poor in reality, and that's partly because they are. If they had the same cushions on them that Transport for Wales bought they'd have fewer "hard" areas and more rounded lines, just like the ones in the set for the ad do, although those frames are clearly differently-shaped.

Established Member