• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Trainee Driver Jobs (18/03/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

95Stock

The first day was enjoyable and good to put faces to some of the names on the forum. Moving forward through the course we are to anticipate done working from home days but not too many as the course is more suited to classroom based learning.
There are 4 on the course from kings cross and they have been put up in hotels.
Hope this helps.

Are the London Kings Cross guys external candidates? I had an email from LNER 2 months ago saying that London based applicants were being interviewed last...?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Davyhoogy

Been following this thread since I applied back in March. Last Tuesday I believe I passed my medical, just had to wait for drugs screen results (I know I'll pass that). How long did it take to hear from HR with results/start date after you guys' medical?

Applied for Newcastle.

heedfan

Been following this thread since I applied back in March. Last Tuesday I believe I passed my medical, just had to wait for drugs screen results (I know I'll pass that). How long did it take to hear from HR with results/start date after you guys' medical?

Applied for Newcastle.

I knew prior to my medical as there was a bit of negotiating needed with my current work due to a really long notice period. There is a course starting in January which people have been allocated on (not sure if it's full or not) and another starting in March. I would imagine they will let you know fairly soon and with plenty of notice.

Davyhoogy

I knew prior to my medical as there was a bit of negotiating needed with my current work due to a really long notice period. There is a course starting in January which people have been allocated on (not sure if it's full or not) and another starting in March. I would imagine they will let you know fairly soon and with plenty of notice.
They asked me before the assessment day how long my notice period is (4weeks) so they could plan ahead. I'm hoping to be on the January one as I can quit my job ASAP and have Xmas off haha

Gigmole

I appreciate that there are still people waiting for their teams interview, and I feel for you. Is anyone who had their teams interview still waiting to hear back? I had mine over a month ago now, and still not heard.

Coopes1710

I appreciate that there are still people waiting for their teams interview, and I feel for you. Is anyone who had their teams interview still waiting to hear back? I had mine over a month ago now, and still not heard.
Yes I am still waiting to hear back

MRIGuy

Does anyone know how many assessments there are as part of the online application? I've just completed the error checking but have received no indication whether I am now at the end of process or if there should be a third assessment.

**edit**

After reading previous postings it seems that a similar issue was experienced by applicants on the last posting. I've sent an email to [email protected] for clarification.

Last edited:

A lot smoother than last time, all 3 online assessments completed in quick succession. No waiting around or having to email recruitment this time. Very tough verbal reasoning questions at the end mind! Hopefully I’ve done enough :)

Cassy j

When did you apply and for what depo
A lot smoother than last time, all 3 online assessments completed in quick succession. No waiting around or having to email recruitment this time. Very tough verbal reasoning questions at the end mind! Hopefully I’ve done enough :)

Loco94

Gigmole who knows what’s going on for us that are awaiting DMI and results of one it’s almost like we’ve been forgotten... Plus I don’t know what others say but they never reply to me on email.. and now if they’re recruiting for another vacancy is that because they’ve given up on the remaining March applicants having filled the other location vacancies

Rocco 698

Hey guys, some advice sought re LNER recruitment; For the second time this year I have applied online for the role of trainee driver / apprentice driver and on both occasions I have not progressed beyond the 20 'Situational Judgement' questions.

I'm thinking 'driver responsibilities' and 'customer service' and 'passenger / train safety' when I apply my rationale to the answer options, so offering what I believe to be the "Most likely" and "Least likely" answers...but clearly getting them wrong!

For example, one question was "You are walking along the platform to your train. You have limited time before you need to depart, but an elderly passenger asks for your assistance with their luggage and finding their seat. There are strict policies and financial penalties for late running trains. If you stop to help, it is likely you will leave late, and the customer service staff you can see are at the other end of the platform. How would you respond in this situation?"

The options being:

1. Apologise that you cannot help and suggest they find a member of staff on the train to support them
2. Apologise, but explain you cannot help because you must get the train ready to leave on time
3. Even though it will likely result in the train leaving late, stop and help the passenger on the train
4. Apologise to the customer and direct them to a member of staff at the other end of the platform

I chose 3 as the most likely and 1 as the least likely.

Can I get some thoughts on what you successful guys and girls would answer, and why?

If anyone is willing to enter into private dialogue to discuss the other 19 in order that I can better understand what it is that TOC's are looking for in SJT's I would be most grateful, as I have an application in with another TOC.

StuM

Hey guys, some advice sought re LNER recruitment; For the second time this year I have applied online for the role of trainee driver / apprentice driver and on both occasions I have not progressed beyond the 20 'Situational Judgement' questions.

I'm thinking 'driver responsibilities' and 'customer service' and 'passenger / train safety' when I apply my rationale to the answer options, so offering what I believe to be the "Most likely" and "Least likely" answers...but clearly getting them wrong!

For example, one question was "You are walking along the platform to your train. You have limited time before you need to depart, but an elderly passenger asks for your assistance with their luggage and finding their seat. There are strict policies and financial penalties for late running trains. If you stop to help, it is likely you will leave late, and the customer service staff you can see are at the other end of the platform. How would you respond in this situation?"

The options being:

1. Apologise that you cannot help and suggest they find a member of staff on the train to support them
2. Apologise, but explain you cannot help because you must get the train ready to leave on time
3. Even though it will likely result in the train leaving late, stop and help the passenger on the train
4. Apologise to the customer and direct them to a member of staff at the other end of the platform

I chose 3 as the most likely and 1 as the least likely.

Can I get some thoughts on what you successful guys and girls would answer, and why?

If anyone is willing to enter into private dialogue to discuss the other 19 in order that I can better understand what it is that TOC's are looking for in SJT's I would be most grateful, as I have an application in with another TOC.
Hi Rocco,

I just done mine for the Newcastle one too and for that Q I answered 2 most likely and 1 least. The reasoning (for me) was the strict policies and financial penalties for late trains that a TOC would not want. I would assume also a knock on effect down the line if you are late in and out of busy stations, maybe delaying other trains too? Not sure but that's my reasoning and it's all about safety first and we have to remember no company wants heavy fines and penalties imposed on them.

Sklee

How long did it take from having the medical to getting a contact? Fingers crossed I passed, I had my medical on Tuesday (10/11) in Edinburgh. I’ve applied for Doncaster. I was provisionally offered a contract after I passed psychometrics last month. The start date of Jan was mentioned but it’s cutting it fine with regards to handing in my notice, I need to give 6 weeks. Just me being impatient! Thanks.

rachiie

Hi all! Just really looking for some advice from previous applicants as to time lines for hearing back etc.
So I have applied for the LNER trainee driver role. I then had to complete three online assessments and I have done all them last night, but how long roughly did it take any of you to hear back as to whether you had progressed to the next stage or not? Just really for a guideline to know! TIA!

train-safe

Hi all! Just really looking for some advice from previous applicants as to time lines for hearing back etc.
So I have applied for the LNER trainee driver role. I then had to complete three online assessments and I have done all them last night, but how long roughly did it take any of you to hear back as to whether you had progressed to the next stage or not? Just really for a guideline to know! TIA!
Was a few weeks before I heard anything last time around, good luck

Gigmole

Hi Rachiie. I think from experience, any negative results from the online assessments are almost immediately notified. If you haven't had that, take it as a positive. However, We all applied in Feb / March, and although some have just started their training, most of us still in the race are at various stages of waiting. Nothing has progressed quickly, but given the CovID pandemic, it is to be expected that things have slowed down.

Davyhoogy

How long did it take from having the medical to getting a contact? Fingers crossed I passed, I had my medical on Tuesday (10/11) in Edinburgh. I’ve applied for Doncaster. I was provisionally offered a contract after I passed psychometrics last month. The start date of Jan was mentioned but it’s cutting it fine with regards to handing in my notice, I need to give 6 weeks. Just me being impatient! Thanks.
Hi pal I had my medical then too, what time was yours?
I heard back on Monday, I emailed recruitment as I'm too inpatient and she replied within 10minutes saying great news etc and that theres space on January course to which I replied great thats perfect so on so on.
Since then I've not heard anything.
I too want to hand my notice in but worried they are cutting it fine. Do you know the start dates for that course?

NCL 2021

I think you are right here
Does anyone know what the pass score actually is at all ?
Is it a case of providing the "chosen" Likely answer & "chosen" Least answer set at 100% to progress ?

Hi

I’m quite new to the whole process of trying to become a train driver and reading through posts and guidance on these forums there appears never to be a rhyme or reason to these things (clearly there is - somewhere).

Onwards and upwards...
JonnyBoxer, did you find any further information with regards to this at all ?
I'm in a similar position & trying to gather as much fact as possible.

ST

The start date for the January course is 18th.

Last edited:

Ben Jammin

I heard back on Monday, I emailed recruitment as I'm too inpatient and she replied within 10minutes saying great news etc and that theres space on January course to which I replied great thats perfect so on so on.
I too want to hand my notice in but worried they are cutting it fine. Do you know the start dates for that course?
Hi Mate, I think you were at York with me in October, your medical was the day before mine last week ? I was at Doncaster on the 5th for mine. I take it your contract offer still hasn't come then?

Davyhoogy

Hi Mate, I think you were at York with me in October, your medical was the day before mine last week ? I was at Doncaster on the 5th for mine. I take it your contract offer still hasn't come then?
I was at york the 5th october, was that you? Just the 2 of us got through the morning. No not yet, I feel bad for keep emailing recruitment but they haven't been too informative of the next steps. Has yours come?

Sklee

Hi, my medical was only this past Tuesday at 12.30. I did email HR but the contact I have is on A/L until Monday. The course start date I was given was the 18th Jan. I need to give 6 weeks notice (nhs) and ideally wanted to finish before Xmas. By the looks of things I’ll be working right up until the Friday before the course....if I pass the medical!! Fingers crossed we hear something soon, I don’t want to be seen as badgering them.

Status
Not open for further replies.