LNER travel irregularity- no ticket onboard

Discussion in 'Disputes & Prosecutions' started by Skodakid, 24 Nov 2018.

1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

FWIW Northern *have* prosecuted people for walking out of the station at their destination without paying. It's generally quite hard to do, though, unless you have an exit known for it that bypasses the barrier, e.g. at Manc Vic.

2. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

But that isn't what happened here, so if anyone wants to discuss that further it's best done in a new thread.

3. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

I notice that the letter states that the "journey" was between Peterborough and Kings Cross. In fact the journey was actually between Whittlesea and Kings Cross. This although seemingly a trivial point could be material due to the lack of ticket issuing facilities at the origin station (Whittlesea).

I assume you stated that the single ticket you required was from Whittlesea?

4. Skodakid

Skodakid Member

Yes- I told the revenue inspector I had come from Whittlesey......
    It’s about the same fair to kx from Whittlesey or Peterborough anyway.

So - I think this thread is dead now.
    I am not a fugitive on the run from a miscarriage of justice.

5. Whistler40145

Whistler40145 Established Member

I'm sorry that we're not all perfect.

6. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

Is there a reason why throughout the whole thread you have failed to provide any timings for your journey?

7. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

Perhaps to keep his/her identity somewhat anonymous? It doesn't matter what the timings were, other than in respect of the correct fare for LNER to have charged.

8. robbeech

robbeech Established Member

I think this is the point being made. If they travelled at lunch time then at £57 they were overcharged.

9. gray1404

Yes, that is the point I am making and also the OP said that they didn't know what the fare should have been so therefore it would be wise to check. Along with if a return journey was made.

At this point though, if the correct amount has now been paid it is the end of the matter. However, due to the failings the OP is still quite within their rights to make a formal complaint to LNER given what happened and in the hope it will stop both them and other passengers having the same problems in future.

10. Marton

Marton Member

OP did provide times:
    But not a return - but that might not matter if it was a Peak return as an Off Peak Single + Anytime Single seems cheaper than an Anytime Return

11. gray1404

Sorry I overlooked the times.

So the OP has been charged for a Anytime Day Single at £57.00 by LNER when they travelled at a time when the Super Off Peak Single was actually valid.

If this is correct, they have been overcharged.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2018
  12. robbeech

I must have also missed the times.
    In this case you should get back to them and complain further tonsufgest you should have only been eligible for the super off peak.

If you didnreturn the same day then you should have been sold the super off peak return ticket at £23.90 (the single is £23.85).
    You should only have paid £23.90 in total if you returned the same day and both the outward and return journeys were made at times where the super off peak return was valid.

13. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Those fares are wrong. An Off Peak Day Return is £36.20 and Super Off Peak Return £47.80.

14. robbeech

I think one was mentioned with a railcard and I have (wrongly) assumed there was a railcard discount to apply. Either way, they may have been overcharged if they returned that day and at a time a super off peak was valid.