• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER / UK Fare System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt26

Hi all,

New here and hoping the community can help provide an answer.

We're all dismayed with LNER's proposals, but having lived happily in the Netherlands for three years I always wonder...what's to stop us having a nationwide role out of OV / contactless? It works in London, so why not UK / England wide?

Even in NL it works for longer journeys, so no over crowding, offers total flex at a reasonable cost and also everyone can buy a Railcard of some variety, meaning there's no 32 years old cut off.

So is it just politics that stop us having this system of total flex and discounts between 31-65? I struggle with the idea of trains being such a private sector commodity when they're so essential to getting about.

Thanks!:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The South East of England, which is about the same size as the Netherlands, is going to get Project Oval which is basically this (including the Network Railcard, though only on paper/e-tickets and with the minimum fare).

The Netherlands doesn't have any long distance services at all by LNER standards, the closest comparison is "Eurostar Red" if we can call it that (i.e. ex-Thalys) - and that, like LNER's proposal, has a self contained fare system with airline style pricing (and quite expensive too!) and compulsory reservation.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
We're all dismayed with LNER's proposals, but having lived happily in the Netherlands for three years I always wonder...what's to stop us having a nationwide role out of OV / contactless? It works in London, so why not UK / England wide?
Lots of things, as we do not have a fully gated system, and a fundamental part of such a system is having a maximum journey time.

The best we can hope for is Contactless on a regional basis, but even then I'd be careful what you wish for.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all,

New here and hoping the community can help provide an answer.

We're all dismayed with LNER's proposals, but having lived happily in the Netherlands for three years I always wonder...what's to stop us having a nationwide role out of OV / contactless? It works in London, so why not UK / England wide?:)
What fares do you propose?

See:
and

Matt26

The South East of England, which is about the same size as the Netherlands, is going to get Project Oval which is basically this (including the Network Railcard, though only on paper/e-tickets and with the minimum fare).

The Netherlands doesn't have any long distance services at all by LNER standards, the closest comparison is "Eurostar Red" if we can call it that (i.e. ex-Thalys) - and that, like LNER's proposal, has a self contained fare system with airline style pricing (and quite expensive too!) and compulsory reservation.
Would the long distance eg Edinburgh London trips be a blocker? I'm thinking Groningen to Utrecht is still 2 hours. Curious whether 2/4 hours makes much difference re reservations?
Perhaps irony is you can't get a seat with existing system anyway

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Would the long distance eg Edinburgh London trips be a blocker?

In pricing terms yes. While LNER are proposing the other way, I doubt people would be accepting of there only being one all-day fare of say £150 single.

I'm thinking Groningen to Utrecht is still 2 hours. Curious whether 2/4 hours makes much difference re reservations?

I think actual seat reservations are a red herring to be honest (as long as there's enough capacity).

Perhaps irony is you can't get a seat with existing system anyway

Can't you? I can't remember the last time I didn't.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Not required. Manchester Metrolink is now contactless, and that has precisely no (zero) gated stations.
As is the Docklands Light Railway, and plenty of stations in London, but the problem is greater as you go a further distance. That said, if someone is never completing their journeys, they will eventually be investigated.

Matt26

I suppose then, why can't we have a model that doesn't say the base price "would be £150". NL prices offer total flex but their price isn't what our flex on the day prices are. The model + availability of railcards provides a very affordable on the day service.

So, is that just political will + funding which distinguishes UK + NL?

We don't say bus or TFL journeys are advance or anytime etc, it's flat fee hop on, so I've never really understood why when it comes to trains it's X* price to have a modicum of flex.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As is the Docklands Light Railway, and plenty of stations in London, but the problem is greater as you go a further distance. That said, if someone is never completing their journeys, they will eventually be investigated.

I think to be honest you can handle it with escalating penalties and then permanently and irrevocably blocking the card.

Say:
£20 for the first failure to touch in/out
£50 for the second
£100 for the third
Then the card blocked irrevocably from all rail sales channels, contactless or not, so you have the faff of getting a new one from your bank. The block would also apply immediately if any of the above penalties "bounced".

That would rein in the majority of fare dodging. Perfection is the enemy of the good, you don't really need to be charging people Penzance-Wick fares or working out exactly what they should have paid. Indeed I doubt Oval will automatically charge Brighton-Bedford or Bletchley (I suspect that may be the most expensive fare) if you don't touch in/out.

Yes, you can go Penzance-Wick *once* for 20 quid that way if you manage to avoid any gateline or guard/RPI the entire way (not likely!) but I'm not sure how much of an issue this would actually be.

I suppose then, why can't we have a model that doesn't say the base price "would be £150". NL prices offer total flex but their price isn't what our flex on the day prices are. The model + availability of railcards provides a very affordable on the day service.

So, is that just political will + funding which distinguishes UK + NL?

I suspect Nederlandse Spoorwegen enjoys a considerably higher subsidy compared to the UK system.

Thalys/Eurostar "Red" fares do seem to be roughly in line with UK IC fares, notably, i.e. quite high.

Trainbike46

Established Member
I think to be honest you can handle it with escalating penalties and then permanently and irrevocably blocking the card.

Say:
£20 for the first failure to touch in/out
£50 for the second
£100 for the third
Then the card blocked irrevocably from all rail sales channels, contactless or not, so you have the faff of getting a new one from your bank. The block would also apply immediately if any of the above penalties "bounced".

That would rein in the majority of fare dodging. Perfection is the enemy of the good, you don't really need to be charging people Penzance-Wick fares or working out exactly what they should have paid. Indeed I doubt Oval will automatically charge Brighton-Bedford or Bletchley (I suspect that may be the most expensive fare) if you don't touch in/out.

Yes, you can go Penzance-Wick *once* for 20 quid that way if you manage to avoid any gateline or guard/RPI the entire way (not likely!) but I'm not sure how much of an issue this would actually be.

I suspect Nederlandse Spoorwegen enjoys a considerably higher subsidy compared to the UK system.

Thalys/Eurostar "Red" fares do seem to be roughly in line with UK IC fares, notably, i.e. quite high.
notably, the thalys is fully commercial and there is a cheaper alternative for travel to Antwerp and Brussels in the form of the NS&NMBS IC service (which is due to be improved significantly in the coming few years)

Benjwri

Established Member
NS pre covid did not receive subsidy, and has to pay the Dutch Government 80 million euros to run the franchise (Although it is a direct award, and NS is a government company. They have received a subsidy since Covid, however the size of it is sharply shrinking, at €274 million. The UK government paid nearly half that in management fees alone to TOCs under the Covid arrangements, and the government assuming the revenue risk.

Trainbike46

Established Member
NS pre covid did not receive subsidy, and has to pay the Dutch Government 80 million euros to run the franchise (Although it is a direct award, and NS is a government company. They have received a subsidy since Covid, however the size of it is sharply shrinking, at €274 million. The UK government paid nearly half that in management fees alone to TOCs under the Covid arrangements, and the government assuming the revenue risk.
Though I believe prorail receives some level of direct subsidy, that is no different from direct network rail subsidies

Status
Not open for further replies.