• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER's new CAF fleet: what should it be called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
As the LNER 80xs are named "Azumas" so the CAFs could be "Orientals" - Spanish (as Japanese for Azuma) for "Eastern" but not as catchy as Azuma? These may come with a entirely different Spanish name
The majority of users won't see a difference whether a train's called an Azuma or a Satsuma, they'll look much the same. Call them Azuma 2s.

YorksLad12

Established Member
"LNER White Rose", as I said in a different thread somewhere (there's a few now, I'm starting to lose track). They'll be used on services to/from Leeds, Wakefield and Doncaster (and Skipton, Harrogate & Bradford, I assume?).

CBlue

Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/lner-announce-caf-fleet.257426/

As the LNER 80xs are named "Azumas" so the CAFs could be "Orientals" - Spanish (as Japanese for Azuma) for "Eastern" but not as catchy as Azuma? These may come with a entirely different Spanish name

Giving you the benefit of the doubt here but I understand "Orientals" can be seen as a rather outdated term. Indeed I was told when working in the USA earlier this year that it can be considered racist abuse when applied to a person...definitely better names out there for the CAF fleet!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"LNER White Rose", as I said in a different thread somewhere (there's a few now, I'm starting to lose track). They'll be used on services to/from Leeds, Wakefield and Doncaster (and Skipton, Harrogate & Bradford, I assume?).
Flashbacks to the NoL Eurostars with that one!

Being honest, I'm sure the enthusiast community will come up with a suitable nickname... but I find some of the "official" nicknames that operators come up with rather cringeworthy. Azuma is bad, but the worst has to be SWRs "Arterio". (just imagine a vomit-smiley!).

Status
Not open for further replies.