• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Location Oyster readers at Surbiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

I wish to travel preferably using PAYG oyster with a senior railcard discount added on a Saturday between Rickmansworth & Esher, oyster single fare to Surbiton is either £2 via Willesden Jct / Clapham Junction or £3.50 viaWaterloo & an off peak return Surbiton to Esher £2.60 i.e. total £6.60 or £9.60. Off peak Paper ticket £13.15

Where are the Oyster readers located at Surbiton is it feasible to 'touch out' and 'touch in' for the return and re-board the same train as the service is only half hourly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
They're on the gatelines only; you'd need to run up the stairs, turn right and touch out, then back down. You'll be lucky to make it back on I think, the suburbans don't stop for long. Roughly the third coach from the front will give you the best chance.

You could of course get a slightly earlier train to Surbiton, touch out, then board the Esher train. (edit: for example the xx15 / xx45 Hampton Court trains which gives you a leisurely 9 minutes).

Last edited:

hassaanhc

Established Member
I wish to travel preferably using PAYG oyster with a senior railcard discount added on a Saturday between Rickmansworth & Esher, oyster single fare to Surbiton is either £2 via Willesden Jct / Clapham Junction or £3.50 viaWaterloo & an off peak return Surbiton to Esher £2.60 i.e. total £6.60 or £9.60. Off peak Paper ticket £13.15

Where are the Oyster readers located at Surbiton is it feasible to 'touch out' and 'touch in' for the return and re-board the same train as the service is only half hourly.

You'll have to use the barriers on the footbridge. The easiest option will be to take an earlier train to Surbiton and change there for one that stops at Esher, for example this.

Alternatively, take the K3 bus between Surbiton and Esher, this is a TfL service so Oyster cards are valid.

James Wake

From Clapham Junction the xx19 Basingstoke and xx00 Alton services stop at Surbiton on a Saturday, the Basingstoke gives about 15 mins for the next Esher train (xx44), the Alton service gives just 4 mins at Surbiton for the xx14 train, as they both leave Clapham Junction at a similar time (the direct Esher leaves at xx59 from Clapham Junction)

The train ticket out to Esher is less than two £1.50 bus fares, so I would advise touching out at Surbiton then boarding the Esher train.

John @ home

Established Member
The train ticket out to Esher is less than two £1.50 bus fares, so I would advise touching out at Surbiton then boarding the Esher train.
Off-peak fares are charged all day on Saturdays.

Rickmansworth is in Oyster zone 7, and the Daily Caps and Travelcards (2016) page on MikeWh's site Oyster and National Rail shows us that the Railcard Off-Peak Zone 1-7 daily cap is £7.85.

The route via Willesden Jn and Clapham Jn avoiding Zone 1 does indeed cost £6.60 in total using a £2.60 Railcard Off-Peak Day Return Surbiton - Esher, and that is less expensive than the £7.00 total using buses between Surbiton and Esher.

But the route via Waterloo (Zone 1) caps at £7.85 if using appropriate buses between Surbiton and Esher, saving £1.75 compared with the cost if rail is used between these stations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.