• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locations where rail traffic moves on the right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railsigns

Established Member
At Elgin, where the first train appears to arrive at the platform with the facilities and a second train running in the other platform could be one going in the opposite direction.

When two trains pass at Elgin, each must use the left-hand track, so I'm not sure that it counts. The same goes for Dunkeld, which was mentioned earlier.

Nairn is different: Passing trains must each use the right-hand track.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
When two trains pass at Elgin, each must use the left-hand track, so I'm not sure that it counts. The same goes for Dunkeld, which was mentioned earlier.

Nairn is different: Passing trains must each use the right-hand track.

I have witnessed on a couple occasions two trains crossing in Elgin station on the "wrong" side of each other, unless alternative method of working has been introduced since. Would be approx. 9/10 years ago.

Railsigns

Established Member
I have witnessed on a couple occasions two trains crossing in Elgin station on the "wrong" side of each other, unless alternative method of working has been introduced since. Would be approx. 9/10 years ago.

The signalling at Elgin doesn't permit crossing on the right. If you did see this happen, then there must have been exceptional circumstances.

Pigeon

Worcester Foregate Street though i believe its officially 2 single lines that just happen to be next to each other.

It is two parallel single lines with bi-directional working on both of them. It's been like that ever since the Rainbow Hill crossover, where the Droitwich and Shrub Hill lines diverge, was removed in the early 70s.

markindurham

At Hartlepool, up passenger trains cross to the downside to access platform 2 due to platform 1 being out of use. There was talk that Grand Central wanted to reopen platform 1 but haven't heard anything for a while :cry:
ISTR being told that Mark 3s (and presumably Mark 4s on 'drags') are out of gauge for P1 as it stands. It is quite a sharp curve through there.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just remembered, wrong station :oops:. Its Nairn that is the wrong way.

I've realised myself it was Nairn, travelling to Elgin to visit family.
What about the loop at Forfar which only has one platform but a crossing loop outside the station at the Aberdeen side where a train will wait. Wrong side dependant on the direction of travel of the 2 trains involved.

FOH

Departing from platform 14 and 15 at London Bridge regularly sees a fast belt along the viaduct keeping all the way right until near South Bermondsey where it swerves to the left.

me123

Established Member
No, it doesn't. The Down Loop is only signalled for Down direction running. Passing trains must therefore pass on the left.

Correct. Basically all Aberdeen trains use Platform 1. Inverness trains also use Platform 1 unless you're passing another train in which case it uses 2.

Nairn is the wrong way (right side running), which surprised me every time I passed through the station! As far as I know, everywhere else on the Aberdeen-Inverness line is left-side running at the loops in normal operation.

Railsigns

Established Member
Nairn is the wrong way (right side running), which surprised me every time I passed through the station! As far as I know, everywhere else on the Aberdeen-Inverness line is left-side running at the loops in normal operation.

Forres is a plain uni-directional crossing loop. Trains always take the left-hand track regardless of whether they're crossing another train or not.

Keith Junction, Huntly, Inverurie and Dyce loops are bi-directional on both lines. Trains can cross to the left or to the right of one another at any of those places.

carriageline

Established Member
Up and Down carriageline approaching Wembley traincare depot places trains on the right!

Established Member
The line to Forfar closed in 1981, and I suspect any need for a loop disappeared a long time before that. Was it perhaps Forres that you were thinking of?
Ha, totally irrelevant east of Scotland pedant's corner: the last train to Forfar ran on 5 June 1982!

Andyjs247

Between Oxford and Oxford North Junction down trains for Bicester run on the right of the formation. It avoids having to cross on the flat twice in the space of a mile.

Taunton

Established Member
I would also include the long distance departures from Euston from the low numbered platforms. These run onto the extreme right hand track which then leads to the adapted empty carriage line which by Camden tunnels under all other tracks to emerge on the correct left hand side merging into the Down Fast with the departures from the higher numbered platforms. This arises because there had long been a down empty carriage line, from the days when Euston had separate arrival and departure sides.

There was a similar arrangement at Paddington but it seems not to be used for regular service, whereas the Euston arrangement is used by many departing expresses.

Yabbadabba

Peterborough to Werrington Jcn for trains heading onto the joint line (down over the up slow)

Edward101

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for - a single track main line and a loop? I'm not so familiar with the WHL so this could be what's happening there too?

On the Highland Main Line for example, at Dunkeld northbound trains run 'right hand' but only in the circumstances of there being no crossing southbound traffic. If there is a cross then the northbound train is placed in the Platform 2 loop, and the southbound runs through or stops on the main line left hand. Platform 1 runs both ways, but the loop only northbound.

If you only ever used or passed through the station on non crossing northbound trains you'd be given the impression of RH running.

I believe most, if not all, passing loops on the Highland Main Line are in fact bi-directional so that trains not required to stop do not need to slow to negotiate the crossovers, but can run through either at or close to line speed. This is why the morning down sleeper, at Kincraig and Tomatin, appears to enter the loop wrong-line- allowing southbound traffic to pass seemingly wrong-line without needing to slow.

When making a station stop, unless crossing another train, trains always seem to use the track nearest the station building or main station entrance for the convenience of passengers- saving passengers the need to cross a narrow footbridge. This is certainly the case at Dunkeld, Kingussie and Carrbridge.

garose

Although Axminster was mentioned earlier, during most of the day only platform 1 at Honiton is used, for up services this is on the right.

Established Member
Although Axminster was mentioned earlier, during most of the day only platform 1 at Honiton is used, for up services this is on the right.

Taking another example like that, when the Chiltern Line was first modernised in 1991, off-peak up services used the down platform at High Wycombe because the service interval north of Wycombe was only every 30 minutes (one to Banbury and one to Aylesbury).

The central bores of Linslade Tunnel and Edge Hill Tunnel.

In both cases the up slow and down fast lines are in single track bores on the outside of the formation whilst the down slow and up fast occupy the double track central bore resulting in short sections of right hand running.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Still swaps on occasion - it was 'wrong line' on Thursday morning and I believe the previous day as well'.

Realtime trains suggests up trains use RH running whenever there is nothing in the down direction, especially in the early morning period. Is that when you noticed?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The throat of Platforms 1-7 at Euston effectively has right-hand running. Departures usually leave via Line X to gain the Down Fast, with arrivals off the Up Fast using Line A.

Similarly, trains starting at Welwyn Garden City via the flyover effectively run on the right for a short distance.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The throat of Platforms 1-7 at Euston effectively has right-hand running. Departures usually leave via Line X to gain the Down Fast, with arrivals off the Up Fast using Line A.

Similarly, trains starting at Welwyn Garden City via the flyover effectively run on the right for a short distance.

Surely ALL terminal stations will demonstrate this at times, at least until beyond the throat when "normal" running resumes... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.