• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lochmaben a layout in 7mm 31.5 gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Rick, got us some nice chairs printed from Off the Rails at Shapeways for some of the point chairs for the front of the layout, these are are the before and after primer photos.
BB 73 - Copy.JPG

BB 74 - Copy.JPG

A bit of work will have to be done to these as they are for a 1:6 point (these are to fit a 1:8) and are at 1.02mm flangeway (we are using 1.5mm). With a bit of luck it should be a cut and shut job, as the chairs' do look very nice.
First no paint.
BB 75.JPG

With red primer.
The paint was still a bit wet when I took the photo.
BB 76.JPG

ATB.

PS.

The next bit should show some track getting laid on the front of the layout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Rick, got us some nice chairs printed from Off the Rails at Shapeways for some of the point chairs for the front of the layout, these are are the before and after primer photos.
View attachment 109101

View attachment 109102

A bit of work will have to be done to these as they are for a 1:6 point (these are to fit a 1:8) and are at 1.02mm flangeway (we are using 1.5mm). With a bit of luck it should be a cut and shut job, as the chairs' do look very nice.
First no paint.
View attachment 109103

With red primer.
The paint was still a bit wet when I took the photo.
View attachment 109104

ATB.

PS.

The next bit should show some track getting laid on the front of the layout.

Very impressive I must say.

HSP 2

Hello all,

a bit of an up date on the trackwork for Lochmaben, we had to partly vacate the big club room as Swiss Pass needed to be erected for testing and making ready for Preston show 5th & 6th March. But we are still plodding on. Rick as been working on the tie bars on the points and is trying to work out the best way to do the double slip, for the point motors we're looking at using servos' to power them along with a micro switch for switching the power to the point vees.
BB 84.JPG

BB 85.JPG

When (if) he gets his sanity back he can start on these, two curved three way points at the station end of the fiddle yard then it's plain sailing with about five or six points to follow on with.
BB 77 - Copy.JPG

The same BBs from the other end showing some of the track that's in the platforms and in the yard. Yard to the left.
BB 78 - Copy.JPG

The trackwork is progressing towards the country end.
BB 83 - Copy.JPG

We were going to use these fishplates for most of the main line but the cost became prohibitively expensive. If you want to know the cost PM me.
BB 80.JPG

So we decided to use these from scale 7 stores at approx. 83p each a much better proposition. To the left of the fishplate is a C & L chair I must remember to have the key showing away from the fishplate .
BB 81.JPG

More to follow soon,

HSP 2

The second up date in a week (has the man gone mad) please don't answer that one.
First off a photo from December from the fiddle yard at the country end. Before we had to drop the boards for Swiss Pass.
bb 64 - Copy.JPG

The same BB on Monday (14/2/22) in my new workshop (the library/ N gauge room). As we can only get two BBs up at at time, as I was over the BBJ it was time to drop this board and fit the next one in place. You can just make out the bridge parapets, these and more cross braces are a retro fit to stop these deep board and all the scenic boards from flexing. Some of the cross braces couldn't be fixed in place until we had the Templot plan and sleepers in place.
BB 86 - Copy.JPG

BB 91 - Copy.JPG

A couple of photos showing the chairs that I'm using, on the main line (bottom & R/H side) it's 3 hole chairs and on the head shunt & yard it's going to be 4 hole chairs and 9' sleepers. You can make out the 9' sleepers by the way they overhang the sleeper positions on the Templot plan. Will anyone notice these? Spot the C & L chair.
BB 88 - Copy.JPG

BB 89 - Copy.JPG

Keep safe from a snowy Barrow,

PS. threading chairs on rail is not therapeutic, it's mind numbing. But it has to be done.

Peter C

Established Member
Quite how you've the patience to put all of that together by hand, I shall never know! Looks lovely. Just goes to show what levels of realism can be achieved in modelling.

-Peter :)

I’m really enjoying following the progress of Lochmaben and look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day. Keep up the excellent work!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It might be mind numbing threading the rail but it looks incredibly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.