• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

loco hauled service to minehead class 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Class 31s in top-and-tail mode will work six Mk2 aircons on 11.10 Minehead-Bristol (1345) and 1406 Bristol-Minehead (1625) on Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays this summer. Trains will be operated by Victa Westlink under a new open access agreement. The ex-Wessex trio 31452/454/602 are the designated locos apparently. Start is subject to Somerset County Council agreement.

Ta gwr4090.

Was on SWRG, not sure how true it was...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some have;
http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t06/t0729a.htm
67013 in this case throughout due to high fire risk the kettle was cancelled
and people actually put up with that? May as well cancel it. that's a joke.

Looks like Weymouth is going to be crap, after all! :( Nevermind, I'm told top n tail 31s are certain to run to Minehead, so there will be something worth doing from Bristol!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Was on SWRG, not sure how true it was...
A Victa employee says it is 100% true, and apparently National Rail tickets will be accepted.

Hentis

and people actually put up with that? May as well cancel it. that's a joke.

Looks like Weymouth is going to be crap, after all! :( Nevermind, I'm told top n tail 31s are certain to run to Minehead, so there will be something worth doing from Bristol!

At least it makes a change from seeing just Desiro and buses on Rails at Weymouth. Sometimes you have to take what you get. You people that see excusriosn, specials and freight in your neck of the woods every day have it made. Down here we take what we get!!

Hentis

Dennis

Established Member
Nevermind, I'm told top n tail 31s are certain to run to Minehead, so there will be something worth doing from Bristol!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

A Victa employee says it is 100% true, and apparently National Rail tickets will be accepted.

Should be Mainline Rail 31's (452, 454 & 601) with 6 mkIIs if the track access agreement is reached. Mondays and Fridays between June 29th and Sept 10th with Saturday services between July 14th and September 8th.

Depart Minehead 11.10, arriving BTM 13.46 with a return departing 14.06 arriving Minehead 16.25. Adult return fare = £21.95.

T

Tom

Already being discussed in the 67s to Weymouth thread.

T

Tom

The trains would be originating at Minehead though thefab444, so I doubt they'd do an ECS move that far...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've heard of much worse than that for an ECS move.

I daresay the WSR has fuelling points and the ability to do 'A' exams on the 31s and any light stuff on the MK2s. Major stuff would probably be done at the Marsh.

Main problem I see with these runs is that 1110 - 1345 will be fine to the enthusiasts, but is it faster to use conventional public transport? 1055d Minehead, 1200a Taunton, 1251d Taunton, 1325a Bristol Temple Meads. Of course, that assumes no delays anywhere on the 1151 off Taunton, or a hope for delays on the 1251 off Taunton.

Another issue will be refreshments. If the summer is anywhere near as hot as it was last summer, this will be a definite call for cold drinks! Hopefully these will be provided!

Coxster

Established Member
VWL dont even have 31s though :s I guess hiring will be in order.
I believe the three locos listed above are owned by Nemesis Rail in a pool named (I think) Mainline Rail. I'm sure someone can correct that if it's wrong.

1VWC

I believe the three locos listed above are owned by Nemesis Rail in a pool named (I think) Mainline Rail. I'm sure someone can correct that if it's wrong.

Nemesis and Mainline are two different companies, although they do share one certain key person of Fragonset and FM fame.

thefab444

Established Member
Just for the record locos in the MRLO (Mainline) pool are:

31452, 31454, 31468, 31601.

And NRLO (Nemesis):

31128, 33103, 45112.

Nat the Ned

Very sure:

"The proposed Minehead-Bristol service has had to be shelved.
The WSR Plc Chair, Chris Austin, writing in the WSR Plc's OnLine
publication, explains, "We have been working hard with a number of
other organisations to make the case for starting a through Minehead
to Bristol service from the end of June, running two or three days a
week. Good progress has been made in planning the service, but I am
afraid it has not been possible to make it stack up financially, and
we are not going to be able to run the train this summer. All the
parties involved, Network Rail, Victa Westlink Rail, and the WSR
worked hard to cut the costs, but running main line trains is an
expensive business, and it is clear that the service would have lost
money, at least for the first year or two. We did ask Somerset
County Council for support to close the gap between costs and
income, but at this late stage, that proved not to be possible, at
lease for this year. The basic idea remains a good one, however, and
I am determined to look again at this over the coming months, to see
if there is a better way of doing it for next year, and one which
could be profitable.".

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I want to know who was responsible for the costs being set too high...

For once, someone has their head screwed on and sets up a really useful initiative but gets shut down by excessive costs...

Only in the rail industry could such things happen...

Dennis

Established Member
Very disappointing news although I did wonder just how many people would have used it (apart from bashers).

gingerheid

Established Member
Shame. What the line really needs is a frequent service to Taunton. But that would mess with the WSRs trade too much :(

Jam

There's probably a good reason for it, and i'm probably don't know what im on about !

But why did 47832 work to the WSR from OC as mentioned in one of the other forum's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.