• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive frame & whhels at Didcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

fv43576

Today I went to Didcot railway center today, fantastic day meet the D9516 and the GWR 4144 with W231 Autocoach, I went around the back of Coal tower I saw a rust frame with wheels (see picture) I think it is GWR but the old man who work there told me is BR Standard class 5. But BR Class 5 have square box piston but this have half triangle box what is type? I could not find any record on the website

Attachments

• _MG_5669.jpg
    _MG_5669.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Couldn't be a BR Standard 5 could it?

It's most likely to be a GW 4-6-0 but I don't know which at the moment.

455driver

Veteran Member
Aren't Didcot helping with one of the conversions, these could be bits for the conversion or the spare parts left over.

Kinghambranch

Today I went to Didcot railway center today, fantastic day meet the D9516 and the GWR 4144 with W231 Autocoach, I went around the back of Coal tower I saw a rust frame with wheels (see picture) I think it is GWR but the old man who work there told me is BR Standard class 5. But BR Class 5 have square box piston but this have half triangle box what is type? I could not find any record on the website

It is definitely not a cylinder block from a Standard 5. The man who told you it was a BR Standard 5 was having a laugh. It will probably be a cylinder block from one of the "Barry 10" locomotives, 3 of which are GWR types which are being used as spares for new build locomotives.

I suggest that the cylinder block is from GWR 2-6-2T No 4115. The extension frames of this loco and its driving wheels have been used for the Churchward 47xx 2-8-0 locomotive which is based at Didcot but the loco is being assembled at Llangollen. This project also uses the cylinders from 2-8-0 No 2861 (but these have been shotblasted and painted) and the axleboxes from 2-8-0T No 5229 which you probably will have seen in "Barry" condition at Didcot. I presume it sits on wooden axleboxes as its own have been reclaimed for the 47xx project. The wheels may be from 2861.

alexl92

Established Member
Couldn't be a BR Standard 5 could it?

It's most likely to be a GW 4-6-0 but I don't know which at the moment.

I'm sorry, I mis-read OP's post and thought the bloke at Didcot had suggested it was a Black 5, not a Standard 5 - hence my suggestion was that he'd simply got mixed up. Agree that it's not either form of '5' though.

Kinghambranch

I have had another look at the OP's posted photo and I think that the driving wheels are from a 28xx (probably 2861) and the smaller wheels are from a GWR 6-wheeled tender of unknown origin. Looking at the remains of the frames that the cylinder block sits on, I'm pretty sure that the cylinder block is from 4115. It would be good to be able to go and have a close look myself but I'm not able to unfortunately. Always a good idea to look for numbers stamped on wheels etc but they don't always tell the truth as wheels and other fittings were often swapped around in the works.

Monty

Established Member
Aren't Didcot helping with one of the conversions, these could be bits for the conversion or the spare parts left over.

I was thinking that, looks to me to be the remains of Maindy Hall which was used as the basis for their Saint project. Failing that they simply be spares there have acquired over the years.

Edit: Didn't see Kinghambranch's posts, being a Southern man the GWR isn't my thing so I shall bow to your better knowledge. ;):D

Last edited:

Kinghambranch

I was thinking that, looks to me to be the remains of Maindy Hall which was used as the basis for their Saint project. Failing that they simply be spares there have acquired over the years.

Edit: Didn't see Kinghambranch's posts, being a Southern man the GWR isn't my thing so I shall bow to your better knowledge. ;):D

Indeed, I had forgotten that the Didcot - based Saint project had to make a new cylinder block to achieve an authentic transformation from "Hall" to "Saint", so the cylinder block in the OP's photo could indeed be from Maindy Hall (the "Saint" cylinder block was a different pattern I understand). A spare "Hall" type cylinder block would be a useful item to keep in store for Didcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.