• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London 60+ Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmt4ever

Hi Everyone

A friend of mine turned 60 last year, so we organised the 60+ bus Oyster pass for him.

He does not have any technology, except an old style non smart mobile phone. He does not have any credit or debit cards.

However I was able to use one of my email addresses to register him, with his full details. Print a sheet out, that he took with £20 cash to the PO along with his rent book, and he got the card.

Now it is renewal time (every year, really??) ... I got an email for him, and it says he needs further proof of address, along with a credit/debit card to pay £10.

It doesn't mention this time being able to do this at the PO. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Please see section 6 on pages 3/4 of the attached document:
6. The £10 fee must be paid online using a debit or credit card that is in your name. The billing address for
your payment card must match your current address.

Thanks

Attachments

• 60+ London Oyster photocard Terms and Conditions.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 24
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Hi Everyone

A friend of mine turned 60 last year, so we organised the 60+ bus Oyster pass for him.

He does not have any technology, except an old style non smart mobile phone. He does not have any credit or debit cards.

However I was able to use one of my email addresses to register him, with his full details. Print a sheet out, that he took with £20 cash to the PO along with his rent book, and he got the card.

Now it is renewal time (every year, really??) ... I got an email for him, and it says he needs further proof of address, along with a credit/debit card to pay £10.

It doesn't mention this time being able to do this at the PO. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Please see section 6 on pages 3/4 of the attached document:

Thanks
This is another case of (effectively), mandating that a bank card is a condition of travel on public transport. No doubt, somebody here will post that this is such a minority case that it's tough luck on them and by 'refusing' to comply with these rules which are for the convenience of business, will effectively prohibit themselves from using public transport.
It might be worth cotactiong his local councillor about this effective discrimination which denies access to an essential public service that presumably, your friend is contributing to via his council tax.

Snow1964

Established Member
It looks like you need a bank or credit card in your name.

That would probably exclude those prepaid cards that can be bought for holiday money etc.

I didn't even know rent books still existed, thought they died when landlords representatives stopped coming around every week to collect rent in cash, I assumed everyone insists on bank transfers these days.

It seems if want a 60+ oyster now, have to comply with their rules, even if don't like them, but concerning no provision (even if limited) for those that can't meet the rules.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
It looks like you need a bank or credit card in your name.

That would probably exclude those prepaid cards that can be bought for holiday money etc.

I didn't even know rent books still existed, thought they died when landlords representatives stopped coming around every week to collect rent in cash, I assumed everyone insists on bank transfers these days.

It seems if want a 60+ oyster now, have to comply with their rules, even if don't like them.
There are reasons why a few can't meet those rules, so that's OK then?

island

Veteran Member
The good news is there is no checking of the name on the card for Visa/MasterCard transactions. The address, or more precisely the door number and the numeric part of the postcode, are checked. I have no idea whether a prepaid gift card would pass such a check.

The 60+ Oyster photocard now has an annual verification that the holder is still resident in London.

The 60+ Oyster photocard is a travel concession provided by TfL and not an entitlement, and as such TfL can attach such conditions as they wish to its use. If someone chooses not to use a payment card, then they will need to reapply yearly from scratch for the card at the cost of £20.

rmt4ever

The good news is there is no checking of the name on the card for Visa/MasterCard transactions. The address, or more precisely the door number and the numeric part of the postcode, are checked. I have no idea whether a prepaid gift card would pass such a check.

The 60+ Oyster photocard now has an annual verification that the holder is still resident in London.

The 60+ Oyster photocard is a travel concession provided by TfL and not an entitlement, and as such TfL can attach such conditions as they wish to its use. If someone chooses not to use a payment card, then they will need to reapply yearly from scratch for the card at the cost of £20.

So basically a 100% surcharge for not having a bank card. How do TFL even get away with such robbery?

I will assist him to apply from scratch like last year. Assume using the same email address will not be an issue?

Haywain

Veteran Member
So basically a 100% surcharge for not having a bank card. How do TFL even get away with such robbery?
Granting a year's worth of travel throughout London for £20 can hardly be called robbery! And yes, it's a charge for not having a bank card which probably doesn't even cover the extra administration that is involved in handling the matter.

rmt4ever

Granting a year's worth of travel throughout London for £20 can hardly be called robbery! And yes, it's a charge for not having a bank card which probably doesn't even cover the extra administration that is involved in handling the matter.
Again the most vulnerable and poor in society are treated the worst.

island

Veteran Member
Again the most vulnerable and poor in society are treated the worst.
This has nothing to do with being vulnerable or poor, it's someone deliberately choosing not to have a bank account. He clearly lives at a UK property and presumably has some contact with either the tax or the benefits system, or both, and should be registered to vote. This is enough verification of identity for most high street banks. Service providers should not be obliged to maintain time- and staff-intensive processes for a tiny minority of refuseniks.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A better approach might be to help your friend set up a bank account. It doesn’t cost anything to set up a bank account, but it will make renewing the 60+ pass (as well as heap of other stuff) much easier in the future.

Snow1964

Established Member
I'm wondering how they obtain the cash? Do any banks still issue accounts without debit cards?

I don't think so for current accounts (obviously savings accounts don't get cards).

It is lot of extra effort (and usually higher prices) to want to pay utilities by anything other than via a bank. Don't think have been able to receive Government payments and tax rebates by cash for years (unless you are still on old scheme). So probably won't be able to receive pension without a bank account.

Therefore surely not opening bank account to be a rebel at 60+ oyster is just daft as probably not going to be able to receive a pension or certain benefits without it by time reach 66 or 67.

island

Veteran Member
I'm wondering how they obtain the cash? Do any banks still issue accounts without debit cards?
Savings accounts can receive benefits, pensions, transfers etc. and not have debit cards, and I expect some building society accounts also offer this option. Benefits can, in some circumstances, also be paid out in cash at the post office and/or PayPoint convenience stores.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
A better approach might be to help your friend set up a bank account. It doesn’t cost anything to set up a bank account, but it will make renewing the 60+ pass (as well as heap of other stuff) much easier in the future.
This. And of course they can just pay the renewal fee for them with their card as per @island’s advice the name can’t be checked.

Haywain

Veteran Member
And of course they can just pay the renewal fee for them with their card as per @island’s advice the name can’t be checked.
Evidently not, as the billing address must match the applicant's address.

Snow1964

Established Member
This. And of course they can just pay the renewal fee for them with their card as per @island’s advice the name can’t be checked.

They might do the remote selling check, where the postcode of cardholder is checked though. Presumably if didn't match, card would be rejected, or renewal stopped.

island

Veteran Member
Thank you for putting it more diplomatically than me.

Ediswan

Established Member
The OP does not say whether or not their friend has a bank account. They do say their friend does not have any credit or debit cards. Maybe they just dislike cards. We don't know.

Kumquat

If they're choosing not to use cards, then they can face the consequences.
However if there's a reason they can't cope with debit cards, then it may be worth investigating the Disabled Persons Freedom Pass which local councils administer.

Someone I know just renewed theirs (in April) at a Post Office, cursory check of address etc. and payment by debit card (with no address check). So is this a new 'TfL rule' that renewals have to be on-line, ie, they don't want to pay Post Office Counters to act as their agent for renewals any more?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.