• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bits 15/06

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I had a day out today testing out my new camera, and didn't want to use auto mode. However, it looks like I have made some mistakes, so comments would be appreciated on how I can choose better settings. The sun kept being obscured by clouds at the last possible second in the case of the unit picture and the tamper particularly <D

Anyway, shots of;

60022, 60024 and 90027 at Stratford
47816, 92031 and 37603 at Kensington

Shots @ http://rjhamilton.fotopic.net/c1303281.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Fuji FinePix S6500fd. I did my research and know the results its capable of, its just a case of me learning how it handles different weather conditions. I used the shutter priority mode yesterday for the convoy pic, but not best pleased with the camera's choice to leave the aperture wide open :(.

class 313

Established Member
Fuji FinePix S6500fd. I did my research and know the results its capable of, its just a case of me learning how it handles different weather conditions. I used the shutter priority mode yesterday for the convoy pic, but not best pleased with the camera's choice to leave the aperture wide open :(.

I can tell you something, the results arnt much if at all better than all the previous cameras! Although you have done better with the manual stuff this time.

RJ

Established Member
I have admitted the results aren't great already, have you got any comments which are actually constructive?

thefab444

Established Member
I've found having a fiddle with the Metering (I think) settings helped a lot in making the light meter more accurate so less under exposure.

Shutter Priority mode is useless I found, try Aperture Priority - or just full Manual.

RJ

Established Member
I agree, must find the trade off between a good depth of field and a wide enough aperture to get enough light into the pictures.

richa2002

Established Member
Shutter priority isn't useless at all, at least you know what shutter speed you're getting...

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I normally use shutter priority on my s5600

devon_metro

Established Member
I use the Shutter priority too, then I am able to set the ISO. My first outing with this cam brought back some very high ISO shots.

Established Member
Ramel your shots arent bad but is it me or is everyone getting the fuji S6500fd all of a sudden?:roll::???:

Fred

devon_metro

Established Member
Looks a tad under-exposed. Although a camera like this is easier to use once you get used to it.

PeterH

Your photos look ok to me . Maybe a bit dark but no camera can control the weather or Clouds .Try over exposing by +1.2 a stop or with Photoshop elements you could boost the shadows a bit if you just have dark skys you could put a new sky over the dark one ive done that a few times ..lol

JonG

I have one of the predecessors to the S6500fd, the S7000, which I usually use in either full manual or aperture priority mode, its not often I get the exposure significantly wrong on a shot, but if I do, I can usually correct it in Photoshop Elements 5 relatively easily.

class 313

Established Member
Would've been better on platform 10. Still is a good shot.

Nah, the platform was right, as he used the sun to his advantage but still, dont cut off the train with the camera. Let the objects around it to cut it off if there is any...

devon_metro

Established Member
Although sometimes its nice to see something different. Not every photo has to fit the same criteria and I can't imagine the stuff behind the 60 was very photogenic.

RJ

Established Member
I was on that platform to get my shot of 90027, ended up chatting with some people there and before long we see the thing sitting in platform 10 waiting for the peg, couldn't even see the self discharging wagons for all the clutter on that platform.. Next time this train runs (its a fridays only, if required, booked for a shed working), I'll find a better place to phot it :).

class 313

Established Member
Although sometimes its nice to see something different. Not every photo has to fit the same criteria and I can't imagine the stuff behind the 60 was very photogenic.

Still, let the objects show you cant see all the train. The camera cutting it looks awful IMO

RJ

Established Member
I took the first and last picture with Auto mode today. It came out very overexposed and depth of field was far from desirable. It was only a pair of Turbos mind.

PeterH

Hi RJ i looked at that photo yes its dark and the weather looks bad i cant see any thing wrong with it ive got loads of holiday photos with sky like that i dont think we have sunshine here in UK any more dont keep nocking your self there ok id be happy with them

Dennis

Established Member
I find auto mode on my Fuji 9500 often gives hopelessly overexposed images and tend not to use it.

There is always a compromise to be reached between shutter speed and aperture. Smaller apertures (higher f numbers) will give greater depth of field but at the expense of longer exposure times (giving problems with motion blur).

Use of zoom has the effect of reducing the aperture on the amount of light hitting the detector so longer exposure times or wider apertures will tend to be needed.

Also, for the best signal to noise ratio from the detector, which is required to minimise speckling, ideally the maximum possible amount of light needs to hit the detector, i.e. longer exposures and wider apertures - exactly the opposite of the requirements for imaging a moving object and it is for this reason that the very best results will only be obtained in good lighting conditions.

Obviously, with practice, better results will be obtained when using manual control (whether full manual, aperture or shutter priority). I would also suggest critically studying photos, referring to the EXIF data and learning from the mistakes made.

RJ

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments. I've realised that to get a sharp image all over, it is necessary to be quite far from the subject, as using more zoom overcomes the problem. In the case of the dark stars, I wanted to maintain the depth of field because they were quite far away, but the lighting would not permit this without a longer shutter speed. Its not always possible or even necessary to have such a depth of field, so its a case of adapting to each individual situation I don't have a SLR Peter, I have a normal digital camera :)

class 313

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments. I've realised that to get a sharp image all over, it is necessary to be quite far from the subject, as using more zoom overcomes the problem. In the case of the dark stars, I wanted to maintain the depth of field because they were quite far away, but the lighting would not permit this without a longer shutter speed. Its not always possible or even necessary to have such a depth of field, so its a case of adapting to each individual situation I don't have a SLR Peter, I have a normal digital camera :)

I find less zoom = a sharper photo.

devon_metro

Established Member
I don't. I find as there is so much scenery in Devon ;))) the camera decides to focus on something else and sometimes the whole image is not sharp and as long as you can hold the camera steady zoomed stuff seems sharper.

Status
Not open for further replies.