• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

Mikey C

Established Member
Nice photo. The mirrors and front panels look weird, unfortunately the front panel seems to be a new TfL requirement to hide the wiper ends I believe
The end result is horrible looking!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Nice photo. The mirrors and front panels look weird, unfortunately the front panel seems to be a new TfL requirement to hide the wiper ends I believe
As I understand it in pedestrian collisions contact with wiper mountings causes a disproportionate amount of injuries. Of course it wouldn't be an issue if the wipers were top-mounted as per ADL and Wrightbus. Optare's bizarre efforts to try to blend in the cameras only draws attention to them!

Established Member
The 7s new Wright Streetdeck hydrogen buses are to receive branding in addition to their LED destination displays, as seen here (not my photo):

Metroline have also taken in the two Vanhool hydrogen buses (one can be seen behind the Streetdeck in the photo linked above) that used to operate on former Tower Transit route RV1 before its withdrawal in 2019. These will also operate out of Perivale (PV) garage as the garage has hydrogen fuelling facilities now, initially to begin with on selected school day journeys on route 226 between Ealing Broadway and Golders Green so I've been told. The main 226 service will still be from Willesden Junction and use the existing Enviro 200s. These have been numbered VSH2748 and VSH2749.

The 7s new Wright Streetdeck hydrogen buses are to receive branding in addition to their LED destination displays, as seen here (not my photo):

Metroline have also taken in the two Vanhool hydrogen buses (one can be seen behind the Streetdeck in the photo linked above) that used to operate on former Tower Transit route RV1 before its withdrawal in 2019. These will also operate out of Perivale (PV) garage as the garage has hydrogen fuelling facilities now, initially to begin with on selected school day journeys on route 226 between Ealing Broadway and Golders Green so I've been told. The main 226 service will still be from Willesden Junction and use the existing Enviro 200s. These have been numbered VSH2748 and VSH2749.
I'm surprised they still use the "leaf" vinyl; I thought they done away with them.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm surprised they still use the "leaf" vinyl; I thought they done away with them.
It tends to be used for "first batch" stuff. Eg it was used for the first hybrids and the first first electrics.

That hydrogen logo does not go at all well with the leaf vinyls and the orange band looks like an after-thought.

Mikey C

Established Member

That'll be interesting to see, such "exotic" buses operating on a relatively low profile route!

matt_world2004

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:
It tends to be used for "first batch" stuff. Eg it was used for the first hybrids and the first first electrics.

That hydrogen logo does not go at all well with the leaf vinyls and the orange band looks like an after-thought.
Yes I'm not keen on the hydrogen logo it looks too. I do remember the HWs and the first generation HVs at Arriva that had them.

Snow1964

Established Member
Next weekend sees final closure of RATPs Epsom garage (freeholder wants the land back)

Route 413 and S1 are novated to GoAhead, link shows details in non-pictorial readable format (sorry but moderator has insisted on the full link, even though it has lots of text per rule 33)

The 413s CitaroK will be retained by RATP, refurbished, recoded MCM class and will form part of the 117 allocation from September

(this comes from multiple links, but the links would contain lots of irrelevant info as well, so not including as would be messy to read, when above sentence summarises concisely)

The S1 uses Metrocities, and these are transferring to GoAhead

The 413 will use single deck buses from 80, which becomes fully double deck, using buses from 200. The 200 is currently getting new electric Optare (switch mobility) Metrodeckers

Go-Ahead London has placed an order with Optare for a batch of 17 battery-electric Metrodecker EV double-deckers. They will operate from Merton depot. The deal is the fifth Metrodecker EV order placed to date. It will take to 108 the number in service by May 2021.

Optare has worked closely with Go-Ahead London since the Metrodecker EV was in development. The operator trialled a demonstrator in 2018, during which time “a lot” was learned about the bus and its zero-emission heating system. That feedback played a significant part in the final design of the production bus, which was launched later in 2018.

*Mod note* Relevant quotes from the sources you link to. This is a requirement of forum rules. Thanks.

I was looking at the London Bus finder today for Route 23 and I was surprised to see that OE34038 was in use today for the first time, I was under the impression that only 37 new Optare MetroDecker EVs were required for Routes 23 and C3, any ideas anybody?
At present I have not seen OE34034/6-7 to appear in service.
OE34038YJ21EXW07:3008:52

Snow1964

Established Member
I was looking at the London Bus finder today for Route 23 and I was surprised to see that OE34038 was in use today for the first time, I was under the impression that only 37 new Optare MetroDecker EVs were required for Routes 23 and C3, any ideas anybody?

I suspect it is some sort of data setup error with a new bus
OE34034 entered service for first time today at 07:30

As start time is same, my guess is data was corrected manually at 08:52 when your mystery bus vanished

busesrusuk

Next weekend sees final closure of RATPs Epsom garage (freeholder wants the land back)

Route 413 and S1 are novated to GoAhead, link shows details in non-pictorial readable format (sorry but moderator has insisted on the full link, even though it has lots of text per rule 33)

The 413s CitaroK will be retained by RATP, refurbished, recoded MCM class and will form part of the 117 allocation from September

(this comes from multiple links, but the links would contain lots of irrelevant info as well, so not including as would be messy to read, when above sentence summarises concisely)

The S1 uses Metrocities, and these are transferring to GoAhead

The 413 will use single deck buses from 80, which becomes fully double deck, using buses from 200. The 200 is currently getting new electric Optare (switch mobility) Metrodeckers

*Mod note* Relevant quotes from the sources you link to. This is a requirement of forum rules. Thanks.
The Metrocities have transferred to Croydon Garage and have received GAL Metrobus fleetnames - pic here:
GAL OM14 Jul21 | Sutton, Jul 2021 | Keith Wood | Flickr

The 413 is in the hands of a motley selection of SE/SEN E200's whilst the 80 continues to see a mix of both single and double deckers. The WHV's which are supposed to be allocated to the 80 are mixed in with the Sutton D/D fleet so basically anything goes in terms of D/D's on the 80; today for instance saw a couple of DOE's as well as SOE and SE single deckers.

galwhv69

I think that they have been refurbished as well - the one in the photo appears to have Go-Ahead London moquette - I think Epsom Buses used a red moquette.
Yep, refurb started a few months ago, so they have been carrying Go Ahead moquette for some time before transfer yesterday

Snow1964

Established Member
2 more London tender awards have been announced today

route 13 retained by Tower Transit (but PVR cut from 31 to only 22) using existing hybrid buses (effective 2nd April 2022)

route 204 retained by Metroline (PVR remains 15) with new electric buses (effective 30th April 2022)

Confirmation is in the news section of attached link (but is in a table, not plain text), so I converted to sentences

Mikey C

Established Member
2 more London tender awards have been announced today

route 13 retained by Tower Transit (but PVR cut from 31 to only 22) using existing hybrid buses (effective 2nd April 2022)

route 204 retained by Metroline (PVR remains 15) with new electric buses (effective 30th April 2022)

Confirmation is in the news section of attached link (but is in a table, not plain text), so I converted to sentences

Wow, that's a massive cut for the 13

Why have TfL have such a downer on the Finchley Road corridor, first axing the "proper" 13 route down to Aldwych (and renaming the 82 as 13 as a sop) and now slashing the frequency?

chopperman21

Why have TfL have such a downer on the Finchley Road corridor, first axing the "proper" 13 route down to Aldwych (and renaming the 82 as 13 as a sop) and now slashing the frequency?
The 13 and 113 are both expected to get frequency cuts within the next few months

Robertj21a

On Moderation

I think many people expect the pvr on routes into much of the central area to be significantly reduced over time.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Wouldn't it just be better to provide better blinds to provide via points of the route, rather than just the terminus? Perspective passengers would then be able to see exactly where the bus was going. You would not need to have different colour buses for that so t would be more practical with no 'wrong-route' buses.
I never understood why the "via points" blinds were dispensed with in London. They were so useful...

Snow1964

Established Member
I think many people expect the pvr on routes into much of the central area to be significantly reduced over time.

Prior to Covid, TfL were losing about £600m on buses each year, and they announced a 4% overall bus cut. But that was more like 14% in central area and 1-2% in outer London, with a few local increases in development areas.

It now seems that Covid has caused a rethink, along with the need to find savings of £900m as part of their bailout. Many buses in the centre of London are being little used so it seems much more savage cuts are on the cards for central routes. Already have the 507 and 521 (red arrow) routes being roughly halved (as it has been announced about half their fleet are being upseated and redeployed to other routes), the recent tender awards for contract renewals on 148 and now 13 have seen cuts.

Last week Heidi Alexander (deputy mayor for transport) indicated frequency could be cut without consultation (but shortening or altering a route needs consultation), and they need to move fast. The latest Government bailout requires a bus plan by end of July. So clearly things are moving fast.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Prior to Covid, TfL were losing about £600m on buses each year, and they announced a 4% overall bus cut. But that was more like 14% in central area and 1-2% in outer London, with a few local increases in development areas.

It now seems that Covid has caused a rethink, along with the need to find savings of £900m as part of their bailout. Many buses in the centre of London are being little used so it seems much more savage cuts are on the cards for central routes. Already have the 507 and 521 (red arrow) routes being roughly halved (as it has been announced about half their fleet are being upseated and redeployed to other routes), the recent tender awards for contract renewals on 148 and now 13 have seen cuts.

Last week Heidi Alexander (deputy mayor for transport) indicated frequency could be cut without consultation (but shortening or altering a route needs consultation), and they need to move fast. The latest Government bailout requires a bus plan by end of July. So clearly things are moving fast.
Yes, precisely. I can't see central London having anywhere near the volume of buses that we have seen in recent years. Less fewer, more bikes....

Mikey C

Established Member

What we don't know though is how much bus usage will return

a) when people start returning to the office
b) when people start feeling more confident about travelling on public transport full stop (especially when masks are no longer compulsory)

TfL have spent the last year telling us not to travel, it's hardly surprising that as a result the buses are empty.

Snow1964

Established Member

All 37 of the Optare MetroDecker OE 34001-37 with Tower Transit are now in service.

OE34038 doesn’t appear to exist, so presumably was a rogue data setup that has now been sorted.