• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Euston (OR Watford Junction) - Glasgow Central splits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trc666

What would be the best split for me travelling on a priv from either Euston or Watford to Glasgow Central, preferably using off-peak / super off-peak combinations where possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Unless you are willing to use an LM only ticket for part of the journey, I don't think you are going to beat the through fare.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Unless you are willing to use an LM only ticket for part of the journey, I don't think you are going to beat the through fare.
Assuming off-peak returns, splitting at Oxenholme for a grand saving of £5.70 (£1.45 PRIV) looks to be the best option. Using LM Only tickets as far as Crewe (circa £7.50 on PRIV) would bring the cost down a fair bit.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Assuming off-peak returns, splitting at Oxenholme for a grand saving of £5.70 (£1.45 PRIV) looks to be the best option. Using LM Only tickets as far as Crewe (circa £7.50 on PRIV) would bring the cost down a fair bit.

And increase the journey time a fair bit as well.

calc7

Established Member
Do you really consider the £33 Off-Peak Return to be in need of being reduced?!

causton

Established Member
Oh yes,.........

................... is there any reciprocal free travel you can get to bring the price down?

As SWT, the closest I could see is using EMT to Sheffield (then via Manchester to pick up a TPE/VT service en-route to Liverpool), limited service to Leeds (then via York and so forth)... so not the quickest routes!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Reciprocal travel on EMT does not help a great deal in this case, unless the OP prefers a much longer journey time, which may or may not be appropriate.

Let's investigate the cheapest fares (undiscounted fares):

London - Glasgow: £130.60 (Off-Peak Return priced by VT)

100 miles later

Leicester - Glasgow: a whopping 10p less at £130.50 (again Off-Peak Return priced by VT but is not time-restricted)

65 miles later

Sheffield - Glasgow: a slightly reduced £113.60 (Off-Peak Return priced by XC)

40 miles west later

Manchester - Glasgow: a much better £76.40 (Off-Peak Return priced by VT)

but 40 miles north is much better

Leeds - Glasgow: £54.10 (Anytime Return priced by Northern)

but then there is only a limited number of EMT services to/from Leeds at unsuitable hours going north, so it may be better to pay for a £13.50 Anytime Return between Sheffield and Leeds.

So, I think if the OP can put up with a longer journey time, using reciprocal travel to Sheffield, then buy a ticket to Leeds, and a separate ticket to Glasgow on the Settle & Carlisle route would be the best option.

If time is of essence, then I think the Off-Peak Return from London offers good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.