• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Euston - Southport split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trc666

I'm likely to be travelling up to Southport next week, are there any decent splits for this with Anytime fares? I have a PRIV and the SOR Anytime Return EUS - SOP (Any Permitted) with discount comes to £71.75

I know I could use London Midland Only tickets and change at Crewe or use my SWT staff pass on EMT from St. Pancras and change somewhere in the Midlands but these both take too long, would much prefer to use Virgin where possible as it's a much quicker journey.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
London Terminals - Chester 60.25 Anytime Return
Chester - Southport 1.90 Anytime Day Return (1.85 single)

RJ

Established Member
I'm likely to be travelling up to Southport next week, are there any decent splits for this with Anytime fares? I have a PRIV and the SOR Anytime Return EUS - SOP (Any Permitted) with discount comes to £71.75

I know I could use London Midland Only tickets and change at Crewe or use my SWT staff pass on EMT from St. Pancras and change somewhere in the Midlands but these both take too long, would much prefer to use Virgin where possible as it's a much quicker journey.

How brave are you with regards to using combinations? Splitting options are a bit limited if you only want to use places where the train stops. Also, are you returning on the same day?

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Slightly longer journey than changing at Wigan:

London Terminals - Stafford SOR £49.25
Stafford - Liverpool Lime Street (VT Only) SOR £6.25
Liverpool LS - Southport 2xSDS £2.80 (day return then SDR @£1.50)

Total: £58.30 (or £57.00 if day return)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The cheap options are going to be the ones you have ruled out.

Virgin don't call at many stations so it shouldn't take too long to find places to split, and with brfares.com looking up a fare is quick (you can also specify PRIV discount).

However have you tried trainscanbecheaper.info? This is less useful for PRIV holders as you can't specify the PRIV discount, but it can offer useful suggestions on places to split. The same applies to MSE's Tickety Split, however that only offers singles and will only do one "split" (ie, 2 tickets and no more), but still worth a look.

kieron

Established Member
Have you specified anytime tickets because you need the flexibility, or because that's all you can get with priv? Off-peak tickets are only a little more than 1/4 the price of anytime ones, and there are plenty of cheaper advance tickets for next week at various times.

gnolife's suggestion is cheaper, but it does mean travelling via Liverpool, and so adding at least half an hour to your journey.

You can replace the Chester-Southport ticket with an Earlestown-Southport via Wigan one for an extra £1.10 or so if you'd prefer to use that route, and change from one ticket to the other in Warrington.

Travelling on tickets which are valid by virtue of condition 19(c) could work out cheaper, but there are dozens of stations to consider en route.

Urban Gateline

Established Member

If you leave quite early in the morning (between 5/6am) then taking EMT to Sheffield and then from there to Liverpool, it's not too bad. Then from there to Southport is only £1.40 SDS PRIV! Is time really that much of an issue? If it were me I would be seeking the cheapest option even if its slower!

Established Member
I used to use the Priv 3in7 Heart of England rover a lot for this one when it was a Euston crew working it.

Status
Not open for further replies.