• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Folkestone Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

Hi all.

I'm trying to figure out the Cheapest route to FKC (Folkestone Central) from any London Station (inc. SE High Speed) on Thursday.

My starting station will be NSG (New Southgate), but I wasn't going to include this in the search due to varying conditions.

I will be travelling from London after 1500, leaving the next day around midday, and have a PRIV & YP Railcard.

I am happy to change trains as many times, and buy as many tickets needed.

So far the best I've found is from CHX (London Charing Cross) direct at roughly £14 for a PRIV Open Return, but wondered if anyone could do better?

Many thanks for your help in advance. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I doubt you will get it much cheaper than that, bearing in mind that within the ex-NSE area only a selected number of flows have period return fares, meaning to use PRIV you will need to buy an SDS for each day.

Using YP the discount is much smaller and you also rely on period returns being available.

£14.25 is a good price considering that you're not returning on the same day.

Dave A

Thought that might be the case. Thanks anyway. :)

Would you (or anyone else) know where Boundary Zone 6 would end/start on this journey. Am wondering if it would be worth getting a YP Travelcard at £5.30 (to get me from NSG through London), then a PRIV ticket from there?

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Did Mojo send you a PM or did you just refer to me as Mojo? Look at the cake, it says different. :lol:

Wouldn't save you any money with Boundary Zone 6 tickets though as you need two SDSs. Boundary Zone 6 - Folkestone Central SDS with PRIV is £5.05, so you need two of these together with two Off-Peak Day Travelcards with Y-P which is £5.30, totalling £20.70.

New Southgate - London Bridge Route Not Underground with PRIV is £1.

Dave A

:lol::lol: Sorry mate. I'll blame it on a long day...

Cheers for that bb21! :D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also, depending on whether you pay for travel within London, it could save you a few more pence by doing

New Southgate - Lewisham
Route Not Underground
Anytime Day Single
£1 PRIV

Lewisham - Folkestone Central
Route Not London
Anytime Day Single
£6.35 PRIV

Obviously you need to buy the same on the way back, which means a total cost of £14.70 (which is cheaper than splitting at London Bridge / Charing Cross). Your train needs to call at Lewisham so I'm unsure whether this excludes you from certain itineraries.

So returns are not always cheaper.

Dave A

Hmm, for the sake of a couple of £ it seems silly not to take HS1!

Thanks for the help. :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
In that case, I would just buy two SDS for New Southgate - Folkestone Central. They cost £7.50 each Route +Not Valid on HS1 or £8.70 each for Route +Any Permitted so is cheaper than paying for an SOR then paying for the journey from New Southgate separately.

Edit: Btw the High Speed supplement is £1.20 each way with PRIV so it makes no odds whether you upgrade onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.