• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland 172 staff briefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atsf_fT

good photo brov:)

wall to wall 172s out again today ,and even better a renumberd 150

chiltern / Bombardier staff special

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-3.jpg

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Great photos there.

172339 was out today and 4 172s were also at Worcester LMD. I think it was 172211, 172213, 172215 and an unidentified 172/3.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It appears to have lost two carriages or if not that they've ploughed into the station concourse! :)

Well, why are Chiltern using one on a flyer. Probably jealous, as 168003 looks pretty dated there!!!!

fgwrich

Established Member
Well, why are Chiltern using one on a flyer. Probably jealous, as 168003 looks pretty dated there!!!!

Dated? Id say batterd...Out of the two designs, id still prefer the 168 (Designed to appear more akin to the 166 / 168 original build design) than the bizarreness and overgrowness of the 172 - the exhuast pipe arrangement still looks odd!

saltley 1394

It appears to have lost two carriages or if not that they've ploughed into the station concourse! :)

That's because the class 172 is moving down the platform and was photographed when level with the class 168, they do look the same length in the photo

Voyager 2093

I agree, I prefer the original Class 168/0 design to the LM172 design, its original. I like the fact that there is no gangway blocking half the cab. I'm sure drivers must take a while to adapt to that.

MCR247

Established Member
The 168/0s look horrible IMO! Like an overweight networker really! The 170 style cab is soo much better! :)

TEW

Established Member
Gangway connections are very useful though, especially when LM run lots of trains on the Snow Hill lines as two, two-car trains joined together.

fgwrich

Established Member
The 168/0s look horrible IMO! Like an overweight networker really! The 170 style cab is soo much better! :)

Oh i know! I just mean in terms of the picture - i prefer the design inheritated by Chiltern / ABB / ADtranz, than the bizarre and cluttered look of the thing next to it...

As for the later 168/170 Designs - the last versions the better looking of the ADtranz / Bombardier effort...It just looks far better than the Monocle type as found on the earlier efforts, like this LM Example!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/170506_at_Worcester_Foregate.jpg

Regarding the design of the 172s - I Have to admit that whilst the gangway connection dosent particually help the aesthetis, its everything else that looks odd - from the attempt at the Scallop shaped light clusters - something that looks smarter on CAFs 4000 Class, to the exhaust pipe arrangement sticking out of the side to the way the livery sits around the front end...It just looks aesthetically odd, almost a jumble of design...But it does it's job i suppose...and as you say, the corridor is there for a purpose and a fairly usefull one at that!

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Regarding the design of the 172s - I Have to admit that whilst the gangway connection dosent particually help the aesthetis, its everything else that looks odd - from the attempt at the Scallop shaped light clusters - something that looks smarter on CAFs 4000 Class, to the exhaust pipe arrangement sticking out of the side to the way the livery sits around the front end...It just looks aesthetically odd, almost a jumble of design...But it does it's job i suppose...and as you say, the corridor is there for a purpose and a fairly usefull one at that!

Do you think any of it is actual original design? I suggest they just copied whatever happened to be that week's light cluster straight off the 378s, and fitted the normal Electrostar gangwayed cab...

atsf_fT

172,217 left derby with Bombardier staff on board, then went to stourbridge jct. ( chiltern sideings ) it then left at 13-30pm and was meant to run non stop to banbury ,but somehow stopped at moor st ( may be to show us all)

it then left moor st (with chiltern driver, Bombardier staff )
@ 14-20 pm , stop@ lemington 14-48pm, arrive banbury 15-06pm terminate.

the chiltern driver was then takeing it back to derby !

maybe chiltern would like some more 172s ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
driver told me 2, 172s failed today , not shure whitch ( or if its true)
i saw also 333-337-341-345 in passinger service, 214 stratford line ,test.
211 -213 - 215 has mentioned , worcester test .

wicked run on one , from 1 driver. i even got him to pose for a photo

tornado is now at the, SVR

fgwrich

Established Member
Do you think any of it is actual original design? I suggest they just copied whatever happened to be that week's light cluster straight off the 378s, and fitted the normal Electrostar gangwayed cab...

As this is Bombardier, then no, not really...It its mostly, as you say a mix and match of Derby Parts - Bit like several meecano sets - just use the stock parts, as long as it fits...

As for the lights - what i was thinking of at the time was the pre production design shots of CAFs 4000 Class - which from the pre production stage seems to have had those shapped lights from the start...The 172 - Had the earlier electrostar / turdostar type face...

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I still don't think there are any weekend diagrams, yet alone on the Dorridge line.

Well. The 172s are now out today, a Saturday, including 172340 to Dorridge, which I've just been on for the first time and the 172s are excellent. Seats are comfy, they are incredibly smooth and quiet. They are perfect and whizzed up old hill she did. Long live them.Has anyone got any photos of it going through Tyseley as there were people there, as I was on it and also any pics of 001 behind, also going to Dorridge, on 2:25 from Stourbridge. I did sacrifice my journey on 001 but I did get on 125 and 340, so that's good, and I'll get on 001 very soon, I know!!!!

anthony263

Established Member
Someone on the FGW coffer shop forum has posted that 1 of the class 172's suffered a small fire at Worcester shrub hill on thursday night which staff were quickly able to put out.

Some to do with the components of the drivetrain

newtownmgr

172341 Suffered problems with a hot axle box between Droitwich & Worcs SH
on the 21.31 Dorridge - Great Malvern on Thursday night.

Not bad as one of the other 172s. It has been gratified at Tysely in the sidings, on one of the centre cars. It is terrible why people do this. My Dad suggested having security patrols with Alsations to protect them! So that has to be cleaned now. And 150003 was held up on the 12:25 at Dorridge due to a medical emergency which was hurrying by at 1:11 just before Olton. I have got to say 150012 was great today and the guard very friendly and keen on the 11:25 to Stourbridge.

fgwrich

Established Member
Originally Posted by 150001
Not bad as one of the other 172s. It has been gratified at Tysely in the sidings, on one of the centre cars. .... So that has to be cleaned now.

Ooo-er. I'm not saying anything! ;)

:lol:

I was going to suggest then, perhaps it was a small Bombardier party on how they've produced something that works?...Oh...

172341 Suffered problems with a hot axle box between Droitwich & Worcs SH
on the 21.31 Dorridge - Great Malvern on Thursday night.

:lol:

trainspotter

Better late than never!!!!!:D

Yesterday was the fist time i bashed a 172, well 3 infact!!!!!:D

I have to say how plesent it was to have a quite ride and have a conversation and not have to talk loud! :lol:

I think each driver was different in the way they handeled the new unit! Give them time and they have loosened up a bit they will be quick of the mark! We must remember they are new and the driver have to get used to them!

We have to like or put up them cause come next time table that all we will have!!!!

shaun

I had my first ride on one Friday evening. I didn't intend to as i was getting off a 150 on my way home, but i have a season ticket and thought 'what the hell', and boarded it. Obviously i'm quite a fan of these trains as visually they are basically 377s which i've always been a fan of. They even have the same onboard automated announcing system, not to mention the similarity between the Southern and London Midland liveries. Other than that, despite being DMUs you could easily be mistaken by thinking you're on an EMU as they're so quite inside! The seats are fine for the type of journeys they operate, they are quite hard but then they're brand new you expect that. Legroom is again fine, but the best thing is the overall feeling of space when you're onboard. A huge progression from the cramped conditions of 3+2 seating on the 150s, hopefully the trains will cope with the peak loadings.

All in all my favourite DMU since the 175s/180s.

172s out in force today! Had the pleasure of 341 to Moor St from Dorridge, then a Chiltern 218 back then met with 340 at Dorridge. I saw another 172 working from Whitlocks end or Stratford through to Worchester. Awful lot of 150s having a rest today as a result!

Status
Not open for further replies.