• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland 350 Birmingham to Euston Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryansimmons323

Hi,

I'm taking the family to London next week and I'd love to know if anyone could tell me, which LM services from New Street to Euston use the much better class 350/1's over the commuter-style class 350/2's?

The diagrams or just anyone with knowledge of the services would be a great help.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
350/1s are prioritised for the Euston-Crewe services, so the majority of Birmingham-Northampton-Euston services will be 350/2s - if there are any 350/1s on that route they'll be picked pretty much at random (certainly before 110mph running, you'd never know what you were going to get from one day to the next on any given train)

MCR247

Established Member
I think the xx49? service ex Euston that uses the fast lines until somewhere or the other has to be a /1, but I could be wrong

ryansimmons323

Thank you for your speedy and informative responses! I'll be sure to use the site again if I need any more info!! :D

DarloRich

Veteran Member
However, operational fexibility means that any unit can turn up on any diagram (with the expecption of the 110 mph services!)

I have had 350/2 to Crewe and 350/1 to MK many times.

plastictaffy

Bear in mind, that even on the Crewe (110mph) services, LM can and do swap a mark 1 for a mark 2. If the bogs are full, or one of the units is needed for exam they will swap them out. I know, coz I was going into Euston the other day and the unit was pilfered for a Crewe service, and it was a mark 2.

I've been on the Birmingham fast lines service, it was a /1 and we did 110. However, Realtime trains said it was booked for a 100mph EMU so as others have said, anything can work it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MCW

what's wrong with the /2's??? i think they are a lot better and more comfy seat wise than the /1's

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bear in mind, that even on the Crewe (110mph) services, LM can and do swap a mark 1 for a mark 2. If the bogs are full, or one of the units is needed for exam they will swap them out. I know, coz I was going into Euston the other day and the unit was pilfered for a Crewe service, and it was a mark 2.

I thought only the 350/1 had been cleared for 110mph running. Interesting.

I've been on the Birmingham fast lines service, it was a /1 and we did 110. However, Realtime trains said it was booked for a 100mph EMU so as others have said, anything can work it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I am not sure you did...............

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This is the relevant section in the original TAA:

LM presently holds rights to two paths on the Fast Lines out of Euston in the standard hour pattern, departing at xx13 and xx46 for Northampton, with the xx46 service going forward from Northampton to Crewe via Rugby and the Trent Valley. LM proposes that the path departing Euston at xx46 for Crewe via the Trent Valley will operate at 110mph and run direct to Rugby via Weedon with an intermediate call at Milton Keynes.
This acceleration of the existing xx46 train path allows the operation of a further 110mph train path “flighted” in the same manner as used for other Fast Line departures from Euston in the standard pattern hour. It is therefore proposed to operate an additional LM departure from Euston at xx49, timed at 110mph, with a destination of Birmingham New Street and making intermediate calls to Northampton as the present xx46 departure.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...er 2011/lm 30 sa - s.22a application form.pdf

They'd meet that spec by running fast as far as Hanslope Jn, then via the Northampton loop.

notadriver

Established Member
I had the pleasure of travelling on one of the xx49 services as far as Rugby. They do indeed attain and sustain 110 mph but I think acceleration from 100 to 110 takes some time. I didn't record 110 mph until well past Harrow and Wealdstone.

The Planner

Veteran Member
They will be timed as 110mph to MK only. You cannot switch timing speeds on the move so the last stop before the lower speed is will be where it changes.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I suppose this is a silly question but can a 350/1 do 110mph where it likes if the line speed allows?
For instance on a late-running Birmingham-Liverpool service (been plenty of those lately) between Bushbury Jn and Weaver Jn.

notadriver

Established Member
I suppose this is a silly question but can a 350/1 do 110mph where it likes if the line speed allows?
For instance on a late-running Birmingham-Liverpool service (been plenty of those lately) between Bushbury Jn and Weaver Jn.

Yes I would think so. Can't think of any reason unless in multiple.

plastictaffy

I thought only the 350/1 had been cleared for 110mph running. Interesting.

It is only the mark 1's that are passed for 110. But they'd rather lose time and have bogs than run to time and have no bogs, especially on the rather long Crewe run. Quite understandable, I think you'll agree.

Re a comment further up about 110 running on the Crewes only - not true. If a limited stop Northampton/Brum service is routed out on to the fast it will run at 110 if line speeds permit it.

Re notadriver's comment - they do take quite a while to get from 95ish up to the full 110. A reliable source informs me this is because of the slightly differently geared traction motors.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
swt_passenger - it's not uncommon to drag them off the fast at Ledburn on occasion, although that does depend quite a lot on the stopping pattern.

Last edited:

dvboy

Established Member
what's wrong with the /2's??? i think they are a lot better and more comfy seat wise than the /1's

The seats are smaller, and three across pointless because no-one wants to sit that close together, they would rather stand than fill a bay of 6 seats!

plastictaffy

You wanna try making your way through one in a hurry when someone pushes the help button in the bog instead of the flush. You have to do a half kinda sideways trot, coz if you go forwards you WILL almost dislocate your hips on the grab handles.

oversteer

The seats are smaller, and three across pointless because no-one wants to sit that close together, they would rather stand than fill a bay of 6 seats!

Er, in the peaks, all 6 seats are full AND people stand in the aisles !

But I don't know how anyone could prefer a 350/2 over a 350/1 .. I'd take a /1 any day, arm rests and tray tables for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.