• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland assessment day

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN

Anyone heard anything yet? Komma, I was wondering how you got on with the medical? I've got mine next week, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flimes

I've got email yesterday to say I failed the assesments :(

Didn't say which of the assesments I did badly on so have emailed asking about some feedback.

Good luck and well done to everyone that has gotten through.

flimes

I think I was on the same one as you - 17th October 1:15 (actually started about an hour late)

mksting

I'm still waiting SJN.

Had test and interview same days as you but heard nothing since.

Komma

I had my medical today,all good. Passed with 6 year certificate fit to work.

SJN

Great news for you Komma. Is it just eyes and ears and then the alcohol and drug screening. I think I should be ok for all of it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry to hear that Flimes. Hope you manage to get some feedback so you can work on that for next time.

Komma

Great news for you Komma. Is it just eyes and ears and then the alcohol and drug screening. I think I should be ok for all of it.
Sorry to hear that Flimes. Hope you manage to get some feedback so you can work on that for next time.

Cheers for that.
It is all of the above + bp.It took about 40 minutes, plus 10 minutes filling in forms.

SJN

Thanks Komma. I've been walking around for the past week seeing how far away I can read clearly lol. Havent had a proper eye test for ages. Did you manage to get all of it? Not worried about my hearing, bp or drug and alcohol test.

Komma

Got to the last line with both eyes,but I did use to be a photographer.

MKN86

Take it still no news for anyone who attended 16/10 onwards? Also anyone from 15/10 actually been offered a job yet?

RAPIDO

I attended on 15/10 @ 11.45 (which started 1 hour late) and still have not heard anything...

sd0733

Established Member
I would think they would wait at least until all the medicals from the first are done before offering any jobs, they run until at least wednesday as that's when mine is, they have got a maximum of 3 weeks though now to offer jobs to people as that will then be 4 weeks before the 7th Jan

Roverman

I've just heard from LM by email. I passed the assesments but they've filled the current slot of vacancies from the 'unprecedented demand' and therefore I am 'on hold' until at least the end of January.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

plastictaffy

I did my assesment on October 16th at 1315. I turned up for the wrong one (they said) but they let me in as some people didn't turn up. Passed the assessment as expected (done several before, knew it was a doddle). Had the interview the following Monday, and had a conditional offer (pending medical) last Tuesday (6th). Phoned them back on the friday to make sure I hadn't mis-heard and they were actually offering me a job. All I've been told is that they'll be in touch to offer me a medical. (which my father tells me he used to do in London)
I've had no date for my medical yet (I'm cacking myself about it, too) but if I've not heard by friday (23rd) I'll ring them and see if I can chop-chop them along a bit. I need to get my notice handed in to my current employer by the 7th December to start in Jan, so hopefully they'll get a wriggle on. They know the crack with when I need to hand my notice in, so just have to sit tight I guess. Didn't know the money to start was only 20300 though. They told me 23000!!! Although that prolly was 20300!! Gonna be taking a pay cut to take the job for 12 months then. *sigh*

BHXDMT

I've just heard from LM by email. I passed the assesments but they've filled the current slot of vacancies from the 'unprecedented demand' and therefore I am 'on hold' until at least the end of January.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement.

I received this email too. I'm just pleased I'm at least past the first hurdle!

monty9120

I received this email too. I'm just pleased I'm at least past the first hurdle!

i have had the same thing. its a bit gutting that because we went last all the jobs are gone. doesnt seem fair to me :|

i suppose one good thing is i managed to pass the tests, does anyone know if we get the scores?

monty9120

we know through this forum that people had had there interviews before i even did my assessment. i asked the guy there and he said no one had been contacted.

seems a bit out of order unless they have a plan they did say positions were arising soon

i would have thought everyone who passed would have been offered a interview to keep it fair

plastictaffy

Monty - as far as I am aware, a pass is a pass. If you fail I think they will tell you where you failed. I'm not sure, I've sat around half a dozen and not failed yet. You should be able to use that test pass for three years with just about any UK based TOC. That knowledge is based on the recruitment lady asking in my test group if anyone had passed within the last three years. I believe the results get logged into a central computer, so if you apply within the timescale, they can look back to see if you passed before. Hope this helps. I did hear that First Capital Connect were taking on again.

Komma

I heard through an instructor at London Midland that they are training a group at the moment with the next group starting in Jan,with another lot starting 2 months later .

SJN

Hi Komma. Have you heard anything yet following the medical? I have mine tomorrow morning. My friend who works there told me some people are starting in December.

cobbler

ive just been invited to assessment got the email today lol i have to answer by the 23rd of nov

ive allrdy passed in march , made loads of calls to ensure that people were aware of that and emails etc etc and now ive got to make another call to tell them i dont need to do this lol

crazy

plastictaffy

Welcome to the crazy world of London Midland, Cobbler!!! I was told that some are starting next Monday, then there will be an intake in Jan, and another intake in February. I'm assuming you're talking about the same jobs we are?? As in, Trainee Senior Conductor??
I'd turn up for the assessment anyway. Is it at New Street?? It's 2 mins from the station if it is. You go, then they'll look through the records and tell you that you don't need to be there, or they'll make you do it again. Gonna cost you a couple of hours and the train fare to get up there, that's all. Their recruitment team are almost always flat out in my experience, and prolly haven't got the time or the inclination to sift through all the records just to see if you have or not.

Last edited:

cobbler

Welcome to the crazy world of London Midland, Cobbler!!! I was told that some are starting next Monday, then there will be an intake in Jan, and another intake in February. I'm assuming you're talking about the same jobs we are?? As in, Trainee Senior Conductor??
I'd turn up for the assessment anyway. Is it at New Street?? It's 2 mins from the station if it is. You go, then they'll look through the records and tell you that you don't need to be there, or they'll make you do it again. Gonna cost you a couple of hours and the train fare to get up there, that's all. Their recruitment team are almost always flat out in my experience, and prolly haven't got the time or the inclination to sift through all the records just to see if you have or not.

probly a very good idea mate , and yea same job ,

im used to the merry dance of lm by now lol i did nearly ten years back in the 90,s , the tests never end lol i remember my by annual rules exams well

earlier in this thread i said they had filled the roles before people had even had assessments , i applied the day the vacancy opened and its only today that i got my first response

its luck and your own merits if you can get to interview

but i think ill go again no issues ive passed them all before

plastictaffy

Strange that hey only just contacted you. I've been given a conditional offer, just got to pass their medical.
Do you have to go to Birmingham for your assessment?? They didn't supply travel warrants, no biggie for me, only 13.50 from Northampton, but some people had come from as far away as Derby, Sheffield and all places like that!!! Gonna cost them a bit in fares!!

Jatos

So i'm not the only person who will have come to assessments from Derby?

I recently went to a Travel Advisor position interview with EMT, tell me, would that be better to take over an LM post if offered, despite been lower paid!

cobbler

Strange that hey only just contacted you. I've been given a conditional offer, just got to pass their medical.
Do you have to go to Birmingham for your assessment?? They didn't supply travel warrants, no biggie for me, only 13.50 from Northampton, but some people had come from as far away as Derby, Sheffield and all places like that!!! Gonna cost them a bit in fares!!

im in northampton aswell and yea its bham , allthough not at the new street office its in a hotel in bham , ill make a call tomorrow and see if they want me to travel or not , dont worry about the medical mate , its just to see if your alive :)

i hope i get back on at some point , still have alot of mates at bletchley and northampton , still feel like a railwayman even now , although the jobs changed alot since my day ,, anyways i digress lol

ill let you know how i get on and good luck mate , maybe see you at the booking on point oneday :D

Status
Not open for further replies.