• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland Trainee Drivers @ Bletchley

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
So I'm sitting the first part (of 3) for the new assessment process on the 12th December 2013 for London Midland Trainee Train Drivers @ Bletchley, just curious if anyone knows what routes and traction LM drivers @ Bletchley actually sign? What is the company like to work for? Roster etc? Any information from anyone who knows anything at/about LM would be greatly appreciated! Do Bletchley drivers sign the St Albans abbey line?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kukua

So I'm sitting the first part (of 3?!?) new assessment process on the 12th December 2013 for London Midland Trainee Train Drivers @ Bletchley, just curious if anyone knows what routes and traction LM drivers @ Bletchley actually sign? What is the company like to work for? Roster etc? Any information from anyone who knows anything at/about LM would be greatly appreciated!

Yes i got the same email and was wondering the same thing...

SPADTrap

Established Member
Yes i got the same email and was wondering the same thing...

When are you taking your assessments, Kukua? Best of luck!

Does anyone have any idea on potential start dates?

Last edited:

Kukua

When are you taking your assessments, Kukua? Best of luck!

Does anyone have any idea on potential start dates?

Thank u and best of luck to you too...im taking mine on the 23rd of Jan...the practise papers that they sent us, are they in any way similar or will they be extremely harder?

SPADTrap

Established Member
Thank u and best of luck to you too...im taking mine on the 23rd of Jan...the practise papers that they sent us, are they in any way similar or will they be extremely harder?

Excellent stuff - Thanks a lot!

I've taken some of the tests before via the old system with another TOC, I sat the Bourden, TRP, DFFT and the ATG, from my experience the TRP part 2 was slightly more complex but not majorly, only a few other aspects added in! Bourden I found to be much easier written and dots were easier than the SCAAT version with characters! With regards to the new bits - no idea! Experience tells me they will be similar but with subtle differences. Do you know if we will sit every test mentioned in the practice material? Does the 'Vienna Test System' encompass the WAFV Vgilance test, ATAVT Perception test and 2 hand the coordination test?

Kukua

I have no idea lol i am so lost...but i believe we have to do all tests mentioned and if passed them then the interview and then the rest of the tests...

SPADTrap

Established Member
I have no idea lol i am so lost...but i believe we have to do all tests mentioned and if passed them then the interview and then the rest of the tests...

Yeah first phase at LM Academy is the Group Bourden, TRP 1+2, DFFT and the Tee-Occ (Which I am pretty unsure about!)

Then the Manager's interview

Then the final assessments which includes the Vienna Test System and the Situational Judgement Exercise and the Multi-Modal interview!

:shock:

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
New Bletchley drivers sign from Northampton to euston and 350s only

Thanks for the information, do you add the Bletchley - Bedford branch and the 150/153 later on? What about the 321s? Sure I've seen them around Bletchley.

spurs4life

There on different links so only after along period of time and the 321s won't be staying to much longer according to the latest talk

plastictaffy

Newly qualified drivers sign ONLY NMP-EUS to start. The depot itself actually covers the whole route from Brum to London, the Bedford line, and the Willesden Relief. The "Old" line via Weedon should be on almost everyone's route card as well. Not too many sign as far as Brum, but it is on one of the links. Some drivers also still sign 321's, and some of those that do, do indeed cover the Scabby Abbey.
As an aside, the 321's that are left (411-417 inclusive, if you wanted to know) are supposed to be staying for the lifetime of the franchise. They'll always have to have at least 2, as the Abbey is currently unable to accomodate a 4 car 350 due to the length of the platforms on that route. Also, 321's are only diagrammed during the week, apart from the one on the Abbey. They usually run in a 12 car set and an 8 car set. The 12 works in to London first thing (the 0620 ex MK is the usual one) and the 8 car set follows a little later, which then stays on the Trinternational terminators all day. Anyway, I digress.

With reference to the other questions you asked...... As far as I am aware, the drivers work very similar hours to the Guards. So that means; earlies/lates rotating with some nights thrown into the mix. But an early can start as early as 0330, and a late can finish around the same time. They also work a four day week (same as Guards) and have a long weekend (fri-sat-sun-mon-tue) every three. LM on the whole aren't too bad to work for (in my admittedly short career so far) and, as long as the work is covered, and people don't take the p***, management seem to leave you alone.

Anything else you wanna know??

Last edited:

Kukua

Great...Thank you
Do you know when this intake is supposed to be starting?

SPADTrap

Established Member
Newly qualified drivers sign ONLY NMP-EUS to start. The depot itself actually covers the whole route from Brum to London, the Bedford line, and the Willesden Relief. The "Old" line via Weedon should be on almost everyone's route card as well. Not too many sign as far as Brum, but it is on one of the links. Some drivers also still sign 321's, and some of those that do, do indeed cover the Scabby Abbey.
As an aside, the 321's that are left (411-417 inclusive, if you wanted to know) are supposed to be staying for the lifetime of the franchise. They'll always have to have at least 2, as the Abbey is currently unable to accomodate a 4 car 350 due to the length of the platforms on that route. Also, 321's are only diagrammed during the week, apart from the one on the Abbey. They usually run in a 12 car set and an 8 car set. The 12 works in to London first thing (the 0620 ex MK is the usual one) and the 8 car set follows a little later, which then stays on the Trinternational terminators all day. Anyway, I digress.

With reference to the other questions you asked...... As far as I am aware, the drivers work very similar hours to the Guards. So that means; earlies/lates rotating with some nights thrown into the mix. But an early can start as early as 0330, and a late can finish around the same time. They also work a four day week (same as Guards) and have a long weekend (fri-sat-sun-mon-tue) every three. LM on the whole aren't too bad to work for (in my admittedly short career so far) and, as long as the work is covered, and people don't take the p***, management seem to leave you alone.

Anything else you wanna know??

Great post thanks a lot! Any ideas as asked about the course start dates would be great but I doubt even LM know that! Is the classroom training done in Birmingham? Making the move to Bletchley when we start traction/route learning I suppose?

Sam.

branchline

I'm in the middle of my driving hours at Bletchley. We did all our training at Bletchley but I believe the group that started last week are at Northampton which is better as you would be classed as a Bletchley driver so would be able to claim overtime for traveling!

I believe LM are looking to run the next course in jan and then again in May next year.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I'm in the middle of my driving hours at Bletchley. We did all our training at Bletchley but I believe the group that started last week are at Northampton which is better as you would be classed as a Bletchley driver so would be able to claim overtime for traveling!

I believe LM are looking to run the next course in jan and then again in May next year.

Thanks a lot Branchline, PM'd you!

SPADTrap

Established Member
Just curious, did anyone take their assessments this week at 102? Best of luck to those who did! :)

Sam.

Last edited:

Kukua

Heyyy how was it? How long did it take, im not sure how to book my train tickets lol.

Good luck x

SPADTrap

Established Member
Haven't had mine yet they're next month! When are yours? Where you travelling from?

svrdan

Hey,

Ive got an Assessment with LM on the 12th In Birmingham, im just curious to know exactly where 102 New Street is? I know whereabouts it is but which building houses the LM Academy where the assessments are taking place.

Im going to have look for it when i can find a bit of spare time but i wandered if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

wills

Its a bit weird really. The entrance to the building is inbetween the Boots store and the Coventry bank. See...

http://goo.gl/tKdnRQ

It's got a big 102 above the entrance and its where there are a group of people standing outside. You go in and there is a security guard who you speak to. You advise him of where you need to go and he will tell you what floor as there is more than just LM in the building.

HTH :)

plastictaffy

Come out of the new Entrance, (the one that looks like a silver Pacman), and as you come out, you'll see a wide footpath in front of you. Head up that, you'll see a Tesco. Turn left, walk about 80 yards up the road, and you'll come to 102. In the lift, up to floor one. Come out, left, and immediately left, you'll be faced with two more lifts. Up to the 5th floor, present yourself at the reception. Then they'll take you up to the "Swirl" and into the coffee area. Then you'll sit there, a bit awkward like, until they call you through for your assessments. Piece of cake.
The lady that's coming up from Fareham - you might find the Saver return more suitable to your needs, depending what time of day you gotta be there. Even if you have to go up the day before and pay for the hotel, it might be cheaper than the open return.

svrdan

Well, im happy to say im in the hat for the next stage.

Didnt think i was going to pass but then everybody says this.

How has everyone else got on???

Status
Not open for further replies.