• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - New York flight options

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I’ll use London-Frankfurt as an example.
If you want to take one bag with you, the cheapest fare I could find is £65.

If I were getting fed, I wouldn’t mind.

But I’m not.

That's quite a reasonable fare, given that it's from Heathrow.

If I take LGW - Barcelona, then BA are actually £2 cheaper than EasyJet for a similar departure time (0640 vs 0700)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
For the dates I'm looking at, about £420 return for Norwegian or £490 for BA (which includes a hold bag and food/drink on board).

Thanks for all the info above, lots to consider there.

Try to avoid B.A, they have tumbled down the value register, cut back on food and snacks, cabin staff can be 'offish' too (but not all !)

V.A. you won't be sorry, albeit not quite as good if its a Delta flight

DenmarkRail

Just going to add this in, after I was in NYC last month... I hope the OP had a nice trip / is looking forward to their trip. We flew AF/KLM as they are our house airline (We're Platinum members). AF/KLM is a member of Skyteam, and coordinates heavily with DELTA on transatlantic flights, and will soon expand this cooperation to VS from (most likely) early 2019. We were initially booked to fly BHX-AMS-JFK-CDG-BHX but the AF strikes meant we were rerouted via AMS (GOOD! My favourite airport!)

The flight cost in total for 2 something like £800, which included the flight (BHX-AMS-JFK-AMS-BHX), a check in bag each (2 each for Plat), free seat selection (free comfort+ for plat), free food and drink on ALL flights (REAL COKE CANS! NOT THOSE TINY ONES!!), and the chance of an upgrade to Business (for everyone, although bigger chance for Plat)

Flights were on time (as usual), good crew who memorised our names, and came to check up on us throughout the AMS-JFK leg. The seats were good (again, as usual). The 737 (BHX-AMS) are in a 3x3 cabin throughout the entire aircraft, with power plugs in all seats in Business and Comfort+... Comfort+ has the same legroom / recline as business, as they use the standard EU curtain mover on shorthaul flights.

Once in AMS, we headed straight to Lounge 52 (Sadly, 25 is my favourite, but no booked domestic EU flights until JULY!!). We headed to the gate after about an hour (I'd say you'd only need an hour in AMS without the lounge) and boarded the 747 aircraft - My first time on a KLM 747, usually only 777s or 787s.

The KLM 747-400 is laid out in a 3x2 in Comfort+ and 3x4x3 in economy. Meals were served, an hour or so after take off, and a snack was served before landing. Drinks were served with meals, and every hour. You could also get snacks and drinks from the galleys... This is fairly standard on KLM flights.

Getting on the 747 was QUICK, due to the skypriority status (Skyteam Elite+, and Business only in AMS, but Comfort+ included at Delta airports), and exiting was VERY quick, as the door is at the front of the comfort+ cabin. It is worth noting that the 747 aircraft are the only aircraft in KLMs fleet to offer Comfort+ in a seperate cabin.

As a platinum member, comfort+ is free, but I'd reccomend paying the extra for it, if your aircraft is going to be a 747.

-----------------------------------------

Returning was the same, although due to the AF strike, I missed out on my 3rd A380 trip, but I got another 787 in. Luckily there were still Comfort+ seats free, so the guys at KLM/Delta were great to put is into them, with only 2 days before the flight!

At Delta handled airports, Comfort+ gains skypriority status, regardless of FF status. Standard seats board in zones based on fare class. Sadly Business passengers board before SkyPriority, which is a little harsh, as this does not happen at AMS, instead SkyPriority is for FF Gold and Plat (Elite+) and Business.

The 787 doesnt have a dedicated Comfort+ section, just a few extra rows at the front of the cabin, which are in a 3x3x3 layout, the same as economy. Wouldnt pay extra on the 787/777/A330 fleet for comfort+ sadly.

Same service offering as the outbound flight.

As always, I reccomend KLM/AF, although possibly VERY bias, since they've been my main airline for years now!!

Hope this helps everyone else looking to book. Soon you'll be able to earn and spend FB miles on VS flights :))

Clip

Established Member
BA will be having a sale very shortly with round trips to jfk from £293

Status
Not open for further replies.