London - New York flight options

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by telstarbox, 22 Jan 2018.

1. takno

takno Established Member

I haven't been regularly for a couple of years, but the United international flights always went into terminal B as well. There are immigration and customs facilities in terminal C, but the one time we used them the staff seemed to be mostly bewildered at the fact that some passengers had turned up to see them.

2. robk23oxf

robk23oxf Member

The last time I landed at JFK it took over two hours from gate to baggage reclaim as they had the bare minimum of staff at border control. My experience of Newark however is largely positive and I'm more likely to consider flying there over JFK.

3. Royston Vasey

Royston Vasey Established Member

You're absolutely right, most of them do go into B, my mistake. Used to sit looking at them from the BA lounge, should have remembered!

Last edited: 26 Jan 2018
  4. button_boxer

button_boxer Established Member

It depends where your final destination is in Manhattan - the one time I flew into JFK I took the A train from Howard Beach as it was direct to where I needed to go (north of Central Park).

5. takno

takno Established Member

True. I was thinking of Penn specifically. It might actually be quicker from Newark to the financial district / village if you switch to PATH at Newark Penn. The point is that there's a fast regular service into Penn from JFK. Give it another 5 years and it should call grand central as well

6. Vectron

Vectron Member

My advice is not to go in August with anyone - it's hot and humid (both can be in the 90s).

7. BluePenguin

BluePenguin On Moderation

There are some ridiculously cheap tickets available. I have been browsing on jetcost and been offered fares as low as £300 return. Norwegian appear to be a good cheap and cheerful option that might be worth looking at

8. DenmarkRail

DenmarkRail Member

Norwegian is cheap, but BA is a little more expensive, yet you get more for what you pay.

9. BluePenguin

BluePenguin On Moderation

Is BA worth the extra money? I have not used them much before. Having baggage included is definitely a benefit

10. atillathehunn

atillathehunn Established Member

You get free dinner and a chocolate bar (!) and a stingy crack at the booze trolley, and of course luggage.

I would say the biggest advantage of going with someone like BA (or other flag carrier) is alliance protection. Norwegian have a daily (I think) flight to JFK and if it goes Pete Tong you have 24 hours or more to wait depending on availability. With BA they basically run an hourly bus across the Atlantic to New York.

11. Royston Vasey

Royston Vasey Established Member

BA have a worldwide sale if you book by end of Tuesday 30th. New York from £366 return, 3 night holidays from £449 per person.

12. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben Member

Norwegian operates twice daily from Gatwick to New York (JFK) I believe one flight is an early morning departure (before or around 06.00am) & the other one is a late afternoon departure (17.10pm)

Cheers

Ben

13. atillathehunn

Thanks for the correction! Higher frequency than I thought.

14. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

Jesus wept - $70 for cabin baggage..!

15. baz962

baz962 Established Member

Btw tuesday's are quite often the best day pricewise to both book and travel.

16. atillathehunn

I asked her: it was actually more. It was $69 for cabin baggage (tiny rucksack included for free). Hold baggage was $100+. Absolute daylight robbery. Did I also mention that these prices were one way? Amsterdam - Baltimore via KEF

17. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben Member

Just a thought - I flew to Philadelphia in May last year (spent 4 nights there) and then went to New York via Amtrak (90 min journey). OP could consider doing this instead of flying to JFK/EWR as an alternative if they so wished to.

Cheers

Ben

18. GW43125

GW43125 Established Member

I don’t know if you’ve already booked, but I’ll add my tuppence worth and say the food on BA can be a bit hit-and miss. I’ve recently done a nine-hour flight, on which we got a rather nice meal two hours after taking off, then nothing for six hours, then two finger sandwiches and a tiny toblerone (which we weren’t allowed to eat!) about an hour before landing.

However if it goes Pete tong you can’t really call how long it’ll be.

Our 747 got cancelled back in 2013 and it was a day before we were on another flight (though we were still in London so we stayed at home for a day), though for a the sake of a day the compensation paid for the flights.

19. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

I haven't booked yet but thanks for all the advice so far!

20. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Why weren't you allowed to eat the chocolate?

21. GW43125

The
    It had almonds in it so I’d assume someone on the plane was allergic to nuts. However, having been served nothing more than two tiny sandwiches in six hours, my response could well have been “up yours”. I didn’t eat it and elected for the dessert I hadn’t eaten earlier.

22. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Why would they even hand it out if there was anyone with an allergy on board if they were then going to say don't eat it?

23. GW43125

My thoughts exactly. though judging from how one of the FAs marched up to the PA with a worried look on his face, I think they forgot.

24. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben Member

The service on BA has become so poor IMO. You pay a premium to fly with the carrier yet you don't get the level of service your paying for. I will look elsewhere for long haul flights in future and may well give Virgin Atlantic a try again as not flown with them in years.

Cheers

Ben

25. GW43125

I agree, BA have become a budget airline at flag carrier prices.

26. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Fixed that for you (well for SH anyway)
    I don't think that they're that bad, their pretty much on par with Virgin for LH

27. GW43125

The only thing that lets them down IMO is the food. It’s gone downhill over the past couple of years. And you don’t even get fed on SH anymore.

28. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

If only they charged LCC prices, nobody would really mind about the constant cost-cutting.

29. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

From what I've seen they are very close to LCC prices, especially from Gatwick.

30. GW43125

I’ll use London-Frankfurt as an example.
    If you want to take one bag with you, the cheapest fare I could find is £65.

If I were getting fed, I wouldn’t mind.

But I’m not.