• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I'm rather annoyed because after looking online the only seats on the VTEC train I want to get on (first class) are backwards!!!! I always go forwards, and I'm really hoping it doesn't ruin the experience to go backwards. But does it make much difference - maybe I've just never given backward seats a chance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
You also take your life in your hands having a drink on some of the trains. I'm trying to type this on the train and can barely keep focussed because it is bouncing around so much. I'm surprised that more people don't end up with hot coffee in their laps (or laptops):(

There is a bit between Drem and Dunbar that has almost left me soaked in tea a few times.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
More likely you've had "the shakes" due to EC's sometimes parsimonious distribution of the free scotch :p

Shame, I won't be getting many freebies. Saturday travel :(:(:(

Oh well, I'm not legally allowed to drink scotch anyway, not that I would want to! :?

Chrism20

Established Member
More likely you've had "the shakes" due to EC's sometimes parsimonious distribution of the free scotch :p

If it were happening northbound I'd be inclined to agree. It's worse southbound than north - possibly due to the reasons you mention :oops:

Shame, I won't be getting many freebies. Saturday travel :(:(:(

Oh well, I'm not legally allowed to drink scotch anyway, not that I would want to! :?

All the more for me and Butts

dave87016

Established Member
Is this on a Class 91 + MK4 set or an HST? I've been on the ex-EMT HST's before in the Kirkstall area of Leeds where pacers are less bouncy!

Can't be HST as I've done Edinburgh - York plenty of times always book myself on HST love em I do !! And I've never come close to being soakerd maybe im just lucky

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
Is this on a Class 91 + MK4 set or an HST? I've been on the ex-EMT HST's before in the Kirkstall area of Leeds where pacers are less bouncy!

Both.

This morning about three or four minutes after Drem on the 0626 was quite shaky. A good gulp out the cup at Drem solves the problem.

Veteran Member
Finally sampled the evening menu on the 1830 down. Rear of coach M rather rough (despite the fancy seats) and being sat there I was last to be served. Next time I'll go for coach K....

Crisps then drinks, main at 1915 and dessert at 1945 followed promptly by coffee and a second drink before Domcaster. Fish and cheesecake were very nice, veg and sauce slightly tired I thought but ok. The food having travelled through 3 coaches could have been a little hotter.

Friendly staff, and an apology for the delay on the main course.

So decent enough and I'd certainly pay for the upgrade again at the right price - admittedly I'm a Railcard holder, but I thought KGX-DON for £37 was good value.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Amazing! Today I did Newcastle to Inverness in first VTEC kept offering me things to get me full up! 5 cokes, 2 teas, 1 hot chocolate, 4 bags of crisps, 4 duck hoisin wraps, 2 lemon drizzle cakes, 1 blueberry yoghurt, 5 cookies, ham and piccalilli sandwiches, pretzel packets, a pain au chocolate and chocolate truffles were offered to me today! Oh, and a banana. I accepted it all happily - it would be rude not to surely!

Chrism20

Established Member
it would be rude not to surely!

Definitely rude not to, however I hope you haven't scoffed all the things that were wrapped (Pretzels/Coke etc) as they need to go in your backpack as emergency supplies because with VTEC it's only a matter of time until you encounter either the "We've ran out of everything" line or worse still - the toast rationing.

Hope you had a good trip though, haven't done the Highland Mainline in a while now even though I'm in Inverness four or five times a year.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Definitely rude not to, however I hope you haven't scoffed all the things that were wrapped (Pretzels/Coke etc) as they need to go in your backpack as emergency supplies because with VTEC it's only a matter of time until you encounter either the "We've ran out of everything" line or worse still - the toast rationing.

Hope you had a good trip though, haven't done the Highland Mainline in a while now even though I'm in Inverness four or five times a year.

I know it isnt rude im joking! :D

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Amazing! Today I did Newcastle to Inverness in first VTEC kept offering me things to get me full up! 5 cokes, 2 teas, 1 hot chocolate, 4 bags of crisps, 4 duck hoisin wraps, 2 lemon drizzle cakes, 1 blueberry yoghurt, 5 cookies, ham and piccalilli sandwiches, pretzel packets, a pain au chocolate and chocolate truffles were offered to me today! Oh, and a banana. I accepted it all happily - it would be rude not to surely!

Have you since, perhaps
built a small house, called a cocoon, around yourself and intend to stay inside for two weeks then emerge as a beautiful butterfly?

Some on here will pick up the reference

trainophile

Established Member
I'm rather annoyed because after looking online the only seats on the VTEC train I want to get on (first class) are backwards!!!! I always go forwards, and I'm really hoping it doesn't ruin the experience to go backwards. But does it make much difference - maybe I've just never given backward seats a chance?

So how was it? I find it depends on the type of train - most IC ones are pretty well balanced and you hardly notice which way you're facing, unless you look out of the window of course. I would make an exception for Pendolino Standard Class, which are not to be recommended in any direction, if travelling for more than half an hour!

However the ubiquitous Pacers, Sprinters and the London Midland ones that I use, whatever they are (170s?) seem to thrust you back against the seat if you're going forward, which is fine, but if going backwards the movement of the train at any speed makes you lean a bit forwards, so it's not very comfortable.

I always carry a Kindle these days, so if I am forced to travel backwards I read that and avoid looking out the window, which I find rather disorienting and visually uncomfortable.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
So how was it? I find it depends on the type of train - most IC ones are pretty well balanced and you hardly notice which way you're facing, unless you look out of the window of course. I would make an exception for Pendolino Standard Class, which are not to be recommended in any direction, if travelling for more than half an hour!

However the ubiquitous Pacers, Sprinters and the London Midland ones that I use, whatever they are (170s?) seem to thrust you back against the seat if you're going forward, which is fine, but if going backwards the movement of the train at any speed makes you lean a bit forwards, so it's not very comfortable.

I always carry a Kindle these days, so if I am forced to travel backwards I read that and avoid looking out the window, which I find rather disorienting and visually uncomfortable.

There was a forwards seat after all :D

Chrism20

Established Member
First time in a while that I've been on a VTEC service that isn't a breakfast train.

Have the sausage rolls shrunk?

Still tasty but I'm pretty sure they were bigger than this one today.

Butts

Veteran Member
First time in a while that I've been on a VTEC service that isn't a breakfast train.

Have the sausage rolls shrunk?

Still tasty but I'm pretty sure they were bigger than this one today.

Sometimes they give you (or a least used to) two of the "fun sized" variety.

How is the "Scotch Count" ?

Chrism20

Established Member
Sometimes they give you (or a least used to) two of the "fun sized" variety.

How is the "Scotch Count" ?

I remember they used to have to sit longways on the plate, this one came side-on on the plate, it's dinky.

Two scotch. One leaving Waverley and another leaving Berwick. I'm off to a leaving do tonight so pacing myself.

Chrism20

Established Member
Either that or the VTEC crew are putting me on a diet.

Attachments

• 5365A7E0-B195-40CC-B1DC-03E521DA72E5.jpg
    5365A7E0-B195-40CC-B1DC-03E521DA72E5.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 82

Chrism20

Established Member
It's maybe just me bein a greedy guts but I'm sure they wouldn't sit that way on the plate before.

Incidentally does anyone know how much they charge for these at the foodbar?

The James Martin kiosk at Manchester Piccadilly sells them and they are about £4 each. I almost needed resuscitation when I saw the price of them.

Chrism20

Established Member
According to the foodbar menu a Sausage Roll (Hot) is £3.00.

No idea if it is the same one.

Certainly taste the same. Two of them, a coke, a tea, a sandwich and one cake was over £20 at Piccadilly. Lessons were learnt that afternoon.

LowLevel

Established Member
Certainly taste the same. Two of them, a coke, a tea, a sandwich and one cake was over £20 at Piccadilly. Lessons were learnt that afternoon.

Station entrance ramp has a Greggs for all your cheap dubious pastry needs :)