• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Help me out here please.

Man sitting across the aisle gets on at York. They come round and take orders. “I’ll just have the toast and jam” he says.

So along they come and serve him two slices of toast, a croissant, yoghurt and a little pot of jam.

The man just looks on in disbelief.

Surely this cannot be right.

Surely this is nothing but a positive? Might need more jam though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Tonight's sticky toffee pudding went down well. I was even able to secure a second unclaimed portion.

Iskra

Established Member
I'm travelling Sheffield-York-Inverness on the Chieftain in mid January.

Is anyone able to comment on the current reliability/availability of the food offering in first please? It's a very long time to go without anything, so just need to know whether I need to take something onboard with me as a back-up.

Marton

Is anyone able to comment on the current reliability/availability of the food offering in first please? It's a very long time to go without anything, so just need to know whether I need to take something onboard with me as a back-up.
Getting better I think. No cancelled food in the past month on my weekly trip York to London.

tago

Very likely to be hungry as I have had the full offer one journey in the last 10, I think.

FQTV

See Post #6653

fraser158

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I've just booked a first class single from York to Inverness in May 2018 and on the booking confirmation it says:
"Virgin Trains food pre-ordering isn't available on this service."

Is this a new service they will be trialling?

Established Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I've just booked a first class single from York to Inverness in May 2018 and on the booking confirmation it says:

What, no food available? No they've been trialling that for months now. LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself there.

Chrism20

Established Member

Ordering via an app was a feature that was mentioned when they won the franchise but nothing has been mentioned about it for a while. I also thought it was more a standard class thing.

Iskra

Established Member
Ordering via an app was a feature that was mentioned when they won the franchise but nothing has been mentioned about it for a while. I also thought it was more a standard class thing.

I thought that was on the new 80X stock.

Chrism20

Established Member
I thought that was on the new 80X stock.

Possibly why we haven’t heard anything about it then lol.

Personally I think if they are going to do it they would be better starting it now rather than wait till the Azumas are here. It would give them sometime to iron out the flaws.

Then again circa 80% of the time they don’t have the crew to run a trolley through standard so how the hell are they going to deal with at seat?

TheAdelante

Possibly why we haven’t heard anything about it then lol.

Personally I think if they are going to do it they would be better starting it now rather than wait till the Azumas are here. It would give them sometime to iron out the flaws.

Then again circa 80% of the time they don’t have the crew to run a trolley through standard so how the hell are they going to deal with at seat?

I'm really dreading to see what first class will be like on the azumas. They're awful trains. The only decent thing is the kitchen size, which hints to me that the first class hot food options will remain.

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm really dreading to see what first class will be like on the azumas. They're awful trains. The only decent thing is the kitchen size, which hints to me that the first class hot food options will remain.

I’ve been in London for the weekend and was intending to nip over to Paddington to check the IEP out but I had a bit too much to drink on Friday and Saturday and things didn’t quite go to plan.

The fact that there is full kitchens even in the smaller sets is highly encouraging. I had visions of a voyager style kitchen in the five cars.

I can thoroughly recommend the duck on the new menu though. It’s very tasty.

Attachments

• 4807FEF1-ADCC-4438-B5C3-87D910148A63.jpeg
    4807FEF1-ADCC-4438-B5C3-87D910148A63.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 45

TheAdelante

Another advantage of the Azumas for first class catering is hopefully service may be faster. After all, they don’t have to share the kitchen with the Standard class FoodBar!

westv

Established Member
The mere fact a meal is marked as "vegan" or "vegetarian" is enough to out me off. :lol:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Hi guys, I'll be on the 1030 from Edinburgh to Darlington in First tomorrow, and as it's before 11am I'm expecting the festive breakfast menu, however dare I say that there is a chance I'll receive the daytime menu too? Does anyone have any experience of travelling on a train that crosses the transition between breakfast and rest of the day?

dave87016

Established Member
Hi guys, I'll be on the 1030 from Edinburgh to Darlington in First tomorrow, and as it's before 11am I'm expecting the festive breakfast menu, however dare I say that there is a chance I'll receive the daytime menu too? Does anyone have any experience of travelling on a train that crosses the transition between breakfast and rest of the day?

Might change to daytime menu from Newcastle if same crew you might get offered it depends on the pax loading at Newcastle if it's crew change at Newcastle then 90% chance you will be offered the full refreshments again from the menu they are using

westv

Established Member
Not quite sure the menus often don't seem to be put out.

Edit: and shortly after I post they turn up!

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just as an aside, have the EC staff been given a pep-talk on being nice to customers. All the EC staff today seemed to be on 'best behaviour'.

I think Virgin are on a PR offensive at the moment, given the statement from Richard Branson. The thinking is probably to make sure no ammunition is given to those looking to further attack Virgin.

westv

Established Member
The deserts are always so nice I feel it makes a good start to the weekend the rare times I can wangle a second helping.