• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Iskra

Established Member
Is anyone able to clarify the current London Kings Cross lounge access rules please? I'm travelling on a Friday evening on an advance and also a Bank Holiday Monday morning also on an advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DeverseSam

I am looking at the cost of a first class ticket on LNER and am wondering about the red wine which is described as Tempranillo Tinto.

Is there a way of getting more info on what they serve on LNER and also hiw much they serve per customer?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Cheap plonk basically and you'll get a few small glasses if you head up to Edinburgh from London. I wouldn't be basing my decision to upgrade based on what wine is available in first class, put it that way.

westralian

Cheap plonk basically and you'll get a few small glasses if you head up to Edinburgh from London. I wouldn't be basing my decision to upgrade based on what wine is available in first class, put it that way.
A few glasses would be generous! I'm on the 10:00 from Edinburgh, it's been almost an hour since 11:30 and there has been no cold drinks served so far. At this rate I would be surprised if I get a beer before Doncaster...

marks87

Established Member
A reasonable enough round(ish) trip from Edinburgh to Durham, then Newcastle to Dundee today.

Bacon roll served promptly after leaving Edinburgh, with a couple of coffee runs.

Two cold drinks runs coming north, with the second giving me two Diet Cokes (car is waiting, so no booze for me...). No hot drinks though, because of an issue in the kitchen (but available free from the buffet if you trek there and show them your ticket). Two food runs as well on the "Deli" menu, so could have had two fairly nice tuna crunch rolls (but stuck with one). No toasted teacake on offer, for the same reason as no hot drinks apparently.

The Azumas on diesel are a far nicer experience than Voyagers (my closest reference point). I guess nearly 20 years of advances in underfloor engine technology helps there?

Bungle73

On Moderation
What do you think the chances are of them increasing the amount of trains with a cooked breakfast at the next menu change? I used to look forward to it on what have become my yearly trips to York for a couple of nights. I catch a fairly early morning train to maximise my time there, and it used to be available on every train. Now it seems to be about one train a day stopping at York northbound which has the relevant menu, and that one is far too early to be doable for me.

I'm having to make do with the bacon roll, which, while nice, isn't quite the same. I'm tempted by the sausage sandwich, but would have preferred real meat. Anyone know what that's like?

D6130

Established Member
I'm tempted by the sausage sandwich, but would have preferred real meat. Anyone know what that's like?
Both the bread roll and the pea protein sausage slice are terrifyingly hot following a full-power blast in a microwave. Beware of burning your lips, mouth, tongue, throat, etc. If you can wait about half-an-hour until it cools down a wee bit, it's actually quite tasty and slightly on the spicy side.

Bungle73

On Moderation
None

Although I do hope I menu change is coming soon, the current one is largely unappealing to me
That's what I thought.........
Both the bread roll and the pea protein sausage slice are terrifyingly hot following a full-power blast in a microwave. Beware of burning your lips, mouth, tongue, throat, etc. If you can wait about half-an-hour until it cools down a wee bit, it's actually quite tasty and slightly on the spicy side.
Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a try then. I'm not travelling (in the early morning at least) until December.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I've gone and got me a a £75 first advance on the 1500 off kings cross on Sunday coming, principally killing two birds with one stone. Getting home and playing with the Tyne valley diversions at the same time. My screen reader isn't grated interpreting the LNER website so has anyone got any idea if I'll got dish or Delhi on my service?

Butts

Veteran Member
Excellent. Appreciate that, thanks. And hopefully giving the length of journey a catering restock at Newcastle. Wonder if I should contact their social media team and pre warn them to get extra whiskys

They only do that when I'm expected onboard.

Most of my recent trips are par avion so stocks should be okay..

Was that £75 fare with a Railcard ?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It was indeed and I had to move extremely fast as there was only one left at that price. I I do hope that the hospitality on this train is good as it's a long journey and unlike at the start of the year when I also did an azooma on toure on the Durham coast Line it's not going to be breakfast time on a Saturday so I will wish to take full advantage of the licenced service

Blindtraveler

Established Member
White wine provided almost instantly, managed to also have a post lunch cup of coffee and a couple of whiskies before being unceremoniously evicted at Newcastle in favour of a lengthy wait before a unwanted and unplanned bustitution

Butts

Veteran Member
White wine provided almost instantly, managed to also have a post lunch cup of coffee and a couple of whiskies before being unceremoniously evicted at Newcastle in favour of a lengthy wait before a unwanted and unplanned bustitution

Oh dear, at least you qualify for delay repay as a result ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The chicken, despite what I would say was a slightly unappetizing description on the menu is actually rather nice. The lemon posset dessert it is good to and I hope they have this on a future menu
Yes I had the chicken yesterday as well. Thought it was very tasty and I was impressed by the amount of chicken. No padding out with cheap vegetables and sauce!

The lemon posset is okay but they did a chocolate version about six months ago which was devine. I really miss that. The sort of thing you could eat far far too much off.

Also for the benefit of @Butts on my journey from London to Darlington there were three offers of cold and hot drinks ;)

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Is anyone able to clarify the current London Kings Cross lounge access rules please? I'm travelling on a Friday evening on an advance and also a Bank Holiday Monday morning also on an advance.

A random YouTube video popped up on my 'feed' the other day, where the creator somehow got access into the LNER First Class lounge at Kings Cross at 10:20am despite his ticket actually being a First Class advance (a Seatfrog upgrade at that by the looks) for the 23:33 Kings Cross to Doncaster service(!)

takno

Established Member
A random YouTube video popped up on my 'feed' the other day, where the creator somehow got access into the LNER First Class lounge at Kings Cross at 10:20am despite his ticket actually being a First Class advance (a Seatfrog upgrade at that by the looks) for the 23:33 Kings Cross to Doncaster service(!)

I can't imagine wanting to spend more time in there than it took to drink a coffee. With the possible exception of United Airlines lounges in the US I've never known anywhere to be so lifeless and so uncomfortably busy at the same time.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I can't imagine wanting to spend more time in there than it took to drink a coffee. With the possible exception of United Airlines lounges in the US I've never known anywhere to be so lifeless and so uncomfortably busy at the same time.

It used to be much nicer. I had two annual LNER lounge passes when they were available for points. I doubt I'd go for that again, though I still usually pop in when I've a while to wait for my train.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The York lounge is very good these days. Kings cross he is not my favourite and and Leeds was a bit drab when I was there at the start of the year. Have not managed a visit to the Edinburgh lounge since refit either because it's been shot when I wanted it or because living locally I tend to turn up about 15 minutes before

takno

Established Member
The York lounge is very good these days. Kings cross he is not my favourite and and Leeds was a bit drab when I was there at the start of the year. Have not managed a visit to the Edinburgh lounge since refit either because it's been shot when I wanted it or because living locally I tend to turn up about 15 minutes before
The one in Edinburgh is alright post-refit. Not quite as nice as it was before the refit, as it's a bit heavy on "design" as done by somebody with no real relevant skills or taste. It's quieter and less shabby than kings cross though