• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
From experience of travelling Newcastle to York and v/v in First they'll usually do food orders and drinks runs after each station - after all they're major enough with a fair turnover.

Being offered absolutely nothing is highly, highly unlikely - as is being told you can't have something as you're only going to York (unless they're doing food orders somewhere like passing through Thirsk)

It used to be in the days of VTEC that it depended on whether the staff could actually be bothered (had some truly nasty experiences of staff back then having expletive-ridden rants within earshot about how they didn't want to serve at York on a Newcastle terminator) but nowadays it's a fair bit more consistent.

xotGD

Established Member
You can also use the First Class Lounge before departure and after arrival. Tea, coffee, biscuits and crisps.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm thinking about going to York from Newcastle in a couple of months time (on a Sunday) and the 2nd class fare (with railcard) is £13.30 but 1st class is only £14.25, so I'll obviously pick that.

Is there coffee and tea provided ?

Anything else ?

I remember years and years ago travelling to London with my parents and we had full English breakfasts on the train ... even as a kid, I thought that was dead cool
At what time, and what day?
I'm just puzzled how 1st class can be cheaper than 2nd .. probably an error
Not an error; sometimes Standard tickets sell out at a quicker rate than 1st. It's quite rare on LNER though.

YorkC

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if you didn't get given choices from whatever the full offering is at the time. IME they're pretty quick to come around at the more major stations on the ECML. It usually isn't long in coming if you ask for a hot food option either.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Experiences vary, but between York and Newcastle you’ll almost certainly get a coffee and a biscuit, and it’s very likely you’ll get food too. You may be better asking for cold food- the salad bowl is fantastic- as they bring that with them on the trolley, rather than it being brought from the galley.

Alcohol will often be offered if daytime, but it’s a bit more hit and miss, especially if the train is busy.

greyman42

Established Member
Experiences vary, but between York and Newcastle you’ll almost certainly get a coffee and a biscuit, and it’s very likely you’ll get food too. You may be better asking for cold food- the salad bowl is fantastic- as they bring that with them on the trolley, rather than it being brought from the galley.

Alcohol will often be offered if daytime, but it’s a bit more hit and miss, especially if the train is busy.
The train is likely to be busy as it is a Sunday and Newcastle United are at home.(kick off 1400)

johnr57

Simple answer to the thread title

At 6ft 7” - a comfortable journey in an airline seat

RGM654

The NR journey planner shows some trains between London and Leeds or Bradford with the knife-and-fork symbol. If you hover the pointer over that it says "Restaurant car for First Class passengers". Does it really mean that or does it mean at-seat service from the catering vehicle? And how reliable is it? I'm planning a possible trip to Bradford, out on a Friday, back on the Sunday. How great is the risk of getting on the train and finding limited food availability or none? Is there any difference in these respects between the Azumas and IC225s?

Veteran Member
The NR journey planner shows some trains between London and Leeds or Bradford with the knife-and-fork symbol. If you hover the pointer over that it says "Restaurant car for First Class passengers". Does it really mean that or does it mean at-seat service from the catering vehicle? And how reliable is it? I'm planning a possible trip to Bradford, out on a Friday, back on the Sunday. How great is the risk of getting on the train and finding limited food availability or none? Is there any difference in these respects between the Azumas and IC225s?
First class is always at-seat service, whatever the unit.
Details of the FC menus are on the LNER website.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Are LNER expanding the number of Dine trains at the next menu change?

I've been catching the 08:00 KGX to YRK once a year for the past few years. The last couple of years it's been without the Full LNER, but I just did a dummy booking for as far ahead as I can (September, but I'm actually next travelling in December) and it's stating the Dine menu with that train, which is the one with the cooked breakfast.

Veteran Member
Are LNER expanding the number of Dine trains at the next menu change?

I've been catching the 08:00 KGX to YRK once a year for the past few years. The last couple of years it's been without the Full LNER, but I just did a dummy booking for as far ahead as I can (September, but I'm actually next travelling in December) and it's stating the Dine menu with that train, which is the one with the cooked breakfast.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes, particularly if business is good and staffing is OK - the current list runs Sept to May.
I can't find the info on the website though.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes, particularly if business is good and staffing is OK - the current list runs Sept to May.
I can't find the info on the website though.
I guess there is a chance it could be an error? I hope it is true. As I missed having the breakfast on my last two trips. I was considering having breakfast in the St. Pancras Wetherspoon on my next trip, but if the breakfast is back on the train that would be great!

route101

Established Member
Im on the 8:30 LNER from Edinburgh to York this Saturday. What can I expect in first? Are soft drinks served in the morning? Rather not have a tea or coffee.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Im on the 8:30 LNER from Edinburgh to York this Saturday. What can I expect in first? Are soft drinks served in the morning? Rather not have a tea or coffee.
With breakfast service there's usually the choice of water, apple and orange juices.

Bungle73

On Moderation
With breakfast service there's usually the choice of water, apple and orange juices.
There's nothing on the menus on the website to suggest that you can't have a Pepsi or something in the morning, only alcohol, so are we sure they won't give you one if asked?

Not sure I'd fancy a sweet, fizzy drink first thing in the morning, mind...... I always go for the orange juice.

route101

Established Member
I never asked for a soft drink. I may of fancied one later in the journey as it was after 10am.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There's nothing on the menus on the website to suggest that you can't have a Pepsi or something in the morning, only alcohol, so are we sure they won't give you one if asked?

Not sure I'd fancy a sweet, fizzy drink first thing in the morning, mind...... I always go for the orange juice.
They didn't for me yesterday when I asked for a Pepsi a little before 0800 (trying to wake up, but don't like coffee).

route101

Established Member
They didn't for me yesterday when I asked for a Pepsi a little before 0800 (trying to wake up, but don't like coffee).
Strange, I would of thought the soft drinks would be stored somewhere. Perhaps its a service agreement, they cant offer anything that's not on the breakfast menu.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Strange, I would of thought the soft drinks would be stored somewhere. Perhaps its a service agreement, they cant offer anything that's not on the breakfast menu.
But they're listed along with all the other drinks. The only text mentioning menu restrictions relates to alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veteran Member
Stored on a different trolley, with the alcohol which isn't served at breakfast time - and possibly not on the train?

BTW 8.15 ex Leeds yesterday, in K, the full breakfasts came last but still by Doncaster - and I could have had 4 coffees before Stevenage. Decent enough IMO though I miss toast and marmalade.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Stored on a different trolley, with the alcohol which isn't served at breakfast time - and possibly not on the train?

BTW 8.15 ex Leeds yesterday, in K, the full breakfasts came last but still by Doncaster - and I could have had 4 coffees before Stevenage. Decent enough IMO though I miss toast and marmalade.
Then it's a bit disingenuous to list them along with all the other drinks, implying that they're available all the time isn't it.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Quick question. Does the dine menu operate North of Edinburgh? Twice before it has reverted back to Deli North of Edinburgh. There doesn't seem to be a change of menu indicated in the timetable

westv

Established Member
New menu from the 24/5. The "spinach and tomato fritatta with posh baked beans" sounds interesting and is something different for the mean "dish" breakfast.

Our brand new menu celebrating 100 years of LNER will become available from Wednesday 24 May onwards.

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
New menu from the 24/5. The "spinach and tomato fritatta with posh baked beans" sounds interesting and is something different for the mean "dish" breakfast.
The new addition looks intriguing.

I see black pudding and mushrooms have made a return to the Full LNER! 8-)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blimey! I think that takes us back to the early days of VTEC for the full breakfast when it reached its previous complimentary catering height!