• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

StrollerEd

just completed the Edinburgh/Newcastle leg of my journey South to London.

the surprise bonus was the attractive young lady who sat opposite with whom I enjoyed pleasant conversation for that part of the journey - she was only travelling to Newcastle so now I have chance to report.

Coffee came round promptly after we left on time at 08.00 hrs, with reminder to look at the menu.

Then the trolley - I selected brown toast, butter & marmalade; new found companion pain aux raisins, as she of that type of gal :)

Orders was taken: companion opted for fruit bowl, I went for full breakfast.

Delivery took a while - so was glad of the toast to nibble on - but then fruit bowl arrived, and then quite a bit later the chef delivered the cooked breakfast for me: companion had waited on that before she started on her fruit - she was class in several respects.

The meal was really good - no black sausage as remarked but no complaints at all and my plate was clean.

re-fills of coffee offered thrice before Newcastle.

Passengers now being asked whether they have just joined the train and whether they have already eaten - I said no as I'm well fed as it is (and its now gone 9.30).

Wifi seems to be managing, so fingers crossed as I click the button

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
just completed the Edinburgh/Newcastle leg of my journey South to London.

the surprise bonus was the attractive young lady who sat opposite with whom I enjoyed pleasant conversation for that part of the journey - she was only travelling to Newcastle so now I have chance to report.

Coffee came round promptly after we left on time at 08.00 hrs, with reminder to look at the menu.

Then the trolley - I selected brown toast, butter & marmalade; new found companion pain aux raisins, as she of that type of gal :)

Orders was taken: companion opted for fruit bowl, I went for full breakfast.

Delivery took a while - so was glad of the toast to nibble on - but then fruit bowl arrived, and then quite a bit later the chef delivered the cooked breakfast for me: companion had waited on that before she started on her fruit - she was class in several respects.

The meal was really good - no black sausage as remarked but no complaints at all and my plate was clean.

re-fills of coffee offered thrice before Newcastle.

Passengers now being asked whether they have just joined the train and whether they have already eaten - I said no as I'm well fed as it is (and its now gone 9.30).

Wifi seems to be managing, so fingers crossed as I click the button

Did you get her phone number ?:oops:

StrollerEd

on re-reading that she does seem to have featured more than the scrambled egg and mushroom ...

... but an essential part of the experience, a splendid brief encounter to share breakfast together

and some things a gentleman does not disclose, but we do live in nearby neighbourhood ...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
an update at 11.30am

trolley came through and was offered choice of sandwiches - cheese ploughman or tuna salad.

decide on the cheese and was about to be given 4 slices - still not that hungry after cooked breakfast (reported above) I asked for only 2, and with Burts crisps that will surely do.

all in all, I'll accept this all-in-ticket at-seat food provision for this 8am start from Edinburgh. I miss the treat of the silver service 'full 2 course breakfast" of fruit/cereal and salmon&scambled (with black pud on side) but what I've been served is sufficient.

Its not a crowded train - I'm now the only one in the bank of six seats acros - so I did not have to put up with the random food smells and interuptions of others. Had it been busy I may have other attitude.

Have to see what the evening meal experience is like, as that is when I really enjoyed - and thought my long workday deserved - the freshly cooked 2 (or 3) course meal.

Last edited:
Dread to think what it was like before!

- better juice. A first class service really shouldn't be serving "from concentrate" juices in my opinion, particularly not in cans (still cant quite believe that). Those fresh orange juice makers would be a really great touch, but obviously cost and logistical implications.

It isnt from concentrate mon-fri, thats why its better than the crap GNER/NX had before. The cans of course are from concentrate but are only served on a weekend. No chance of the juice makers.

StrollerEd

OK, my chance to taste the delights of the 'hot meal' - have ordered the 'sausage & mash' and have a cup o'tea and a banana while I wait

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It isnt from concentrate mon-fri, thats why its better than the crap GNER/NX had before. /QUOTE]

Ah fair enough, I saw the carton on the trolley and it looked suspiciously like it might be, so I went for the lovely Red ;)

StrollerEd

OK, my chance to taste the delights of the 'hot meal' - have ordered the 'sausage & mash' and have a cup o'tea and a banana while I wait

I enjoyed what was clearly a popular choice of 'sausage & mash' - reasonably tasty and filling, especially with the glass of red wine.

Didn't think much of the oversweet lemon tart, and wish I'd had the cheese, but it filled me with calories so I'm not hungry on my return trip.

Again, I miss the splendid steak as seen on sig. I looked forward to it as reward for a day that had be leave home at 7.30am and return at 11pm. But hey ho.

I had a second glass of red, with water on the side, to go with my 'supper' of two ham sandwiches and crisps, so feel mellow towards EC for this FC long-distance experience.

(They have run out of red, so accepted the white which is also a bit sweet for my taste.)

This has changed my viewpoint in that I dont feel as hostile to the new arrangements as I did before. But still I might muse that by plane I could have left home at 10am or later to get a flight that would have got me to my meeting at 2pm, and had I arranged to get the 7pm flight I would have been home by now (9.20) and now still have 90 mins of travel still to do.

Probably more relaxing - and I've time to write this - but I've used up a lot of my own time for a cooked breakfast in the morning and bangers and mash in the evening.

knife edge ...
forgot to add, the staff were OK on way down and very friendly and helpful on way back. But that might have been my perception rather than reality - afterall it was 8am on the way down, and I was on the juice on the way back :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I go in search of one of the elusive hot all day 'meals' (or snacks as most normal people would call them) tomorrow on the 17:56 from Darlo to Kings Cross, wish me luck :lol:

I also promise to ignore the fact that this service used to offer at-seat dining which would have meant I could have enjoyed a proper meal like a burger/chips or fish cakes or various other proper meals

Dine and Go

I enjoyed what was clearly a popular choice of 'sausage & mash' - reasonably tasty and filling, especially with the glass of red wine.

This has changed my viewpoint in that I dont feel as hostile to the new arrangements as I did before. But still I might muse that by plane I could have left home at 10am or later to get a flight that would have got me to my meeting at 2pm, and had I arranged to get the 7pm flight I would have been home by now (9.20) and now still have 90 mins of travel still to do.

Probably more relaxing - and I've time to write this - but I've used up a lot of my own time for a cooked breakfast in the morning and bangers and mash in the evening.

knife edge ...
forgot to add, the staff were OK on way down and very friendly and helpful on way back. But that might have been my perception rather than reality - afterall it was 8am on the way down, and I was on the juice on the way back :p

I do think a lot has to do with the perception an value for money. If I'm on an advance ticket then I'd be over the moon with this complimentary offering but when paying well over £300 for first anytime tickets (used to be dine & go which were the same price with their long running 'All the extras at no extra cost' promotion) I feel like it's a severe downgrade for the same price.

Has the first class market being reduced to catering primarily for those who buy cheap tickets and see 'ooh it's only £20 extra to upgrade this time, let's do it'?

As a mostly full fare passenger (and therefore have the original East Coast rewards card that required £1800 spend in 3 months) I feel totally let down.

There's no redeeming feature whatsoever about this new service for me.

Still I'm sure those on the cheap fares love it!

StrollerEd

for the record, I was travelling on a Scottish Exec ticket - not an Advance Bargain.

And with that used to come a voucher for the sit down restaurant car meal - so I feel your pain and sense of loss.

Its now morning and in cold light of day, I must admit that a complementary 'sausages and mash' served at my seat is nowhere near of the same experience, but at least this time around I did get fed and was not hungry on a 4 and a half hour journey.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I do think a lot has to do with the perception an value for money. If I'm on an advance ticket then I'd be over the moon with this complimentary offering but when paying well over £300 for first anytime tickets (used to be dine & go which were the same price with their long running 'All the extras at no extra cost' promotion) I feel like it's a severe downgrade for the same price.

Has the first class market being reduced to catering primarily for those who buy cheap tickets and see 'ooh it's only £20 extra to upgrade this time, let's do it'?

As a mostly full fare passenger (and therefore have the original East Coast rewards card that required £1800 spend in 3 months) I feel totally let down.

There's no redeeming feature whatsoever about this new service for me.

Some good points there I think. I am disappointed from a personal point of view that there is no option to even buy a decent hot meal as there was previously.

Bon Accord

Some good points there I think. I am disappointed from a personal point of view that there is no option to even buy a decent hot meal as there was previously.

That's the crux for me, that and the virtual loss of at seat service - if you want something else you have to go to the buffet car.
The Scotrail sleepers must be one of the few services around with a reasonably full drink and food menu, thankfully I'll be partaking of some of that tomorrow night - EC's loss.

I think this is in the main the thinking behind it all, given the cheaper advance tickets are 100% EC revenue and goes nowhere near ORCATS they want to incourage people to upgrade from standard advance to first advance, the difference in price in general been much more than it costs per person to provide the complimentary service. I think they take passengers like yourself for granted on the full fare tickets, thinking you will travel first whatever the catering offering.

G123T

for the record, I was travelling on a Scottish Exec ticket - not an Advance Bargain.

Ah! No wonder you're not happy that at seat dining has gone. You were effectively receiving what us cheap skates now get but to a higher standard. Although isn't the Scottish Exec ticket £199 - fairly cheap anyway and not a great deal more than it usually costs me to get to Durham and back. Scottish Exec ticket was/still is really good value - I completely forgot about this ticket but it all makes sense now. I wondered why so many were unhappy about comp food - a lot of you were already getting it!

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Before I start this report let me just say no matter what else may be disliked about the complementary offer you can't complain about the free alcohol :lol:

Anyway onto the food side of affairs. It seems that I am destined to never sample one of the all day hot options for yet again it was unavailable. Traveling on the 17:56 from Darlo to The Cross and this time I got as far as ordering the beetroot risotto (I was told that it was the last available) unfortunately five minutes later the CSA comes back to tell me that they had miscounted and in fact there was no risotto available for me! However he instead offered me either a ham & cheese or tuna melt panini, I opted for the ham and cheese and was given it with a side of salad. It was a very nice panini and top marks to the CSA for offering it to me as on previous experience I've never been offered a panini instead of the risotto. It's a shame my fellow first class passengers couldn't avail themselves of this option as they used to be able to before May.

So on the whole not a bad trip catering wise (though a burger with chips would have been nice ;)) and hopefully I will get to try the risotto tomorrow on the 20:16 from Peterborough to Darlo. However I'm starting to wonder if the fates just don't want me to try one :lol:

StrollerEd

Ah! No wonder you're not happy that at seat dining has gone. You were effectively receiving what us cheap skates now get but to a higher standard. Although isn't the Scottish Exec ticket £199 - fairly cheap anyway and not a great deal more than it usually costs me to get to Durham and back. Scottish Exec ticket was/still is really good value - I completely forgot about this ticket but it all makes sense now. I wondered why so many were unhappy about comp food - a lot of you were already getting it!

True is was v good value as a ticket, but I still miss the proper meal and would be prepared to pay for it.

Dine and Go

Before I start this report let me just say no matter what else may be disliked about the complementary offer you can't complain about the free alcohol :lol:

Oh yes we can :)

We used to have a choice of wines, now reduced to red or white. Served in proper wine glasses.
Beer in full sized cans.
The ability to have as much or as little as you wanted.

The only good thing is the range of complimentary non alcoholic drinks has improved for alcohol I'd rather pay and be served at seat.

Unfortunately if I want to pay for alcohol at seat then it's standard class trolley. If I dare ask for two mini cans of beer in first I'm greedy, ask for 4 regular cans of beer in standard it'll be 'certainly sir' (they're even running a promotion on where you get a discount if you buy 2 cans).

rmt-driver

oh yes we can :)

we used to have a choice of wines, now reduced to red or white. Served in proper wine glasses.
Beer in full sized cans.

The only good thing is the range of complimentary non alcoholic drinks has improved for alcohol i'd rather pay and be served at seat.

exactly

Bungle73

On Moderation

We used to have a choice of wines, now reduced to red or white. Served in proper wine glasses.
Beer in full sized cans.

The only good thing is the range of complimentary non alcoholic drinks has improved for alcohol I'd rather pay and be served at seat.

Unfortunately if I want to pay for alcohol at seat then it's standard class trolley. If I dare ask for two mini cans of beer in first I'm greedy, ask for 4 regular cans of beer in standard it'll be 'certainly sir' (they're even running a promotion on where you get a discount if you buy 2 cans).
Do they do beer in bottles as well?

Butts

Veteran Member

Beer in full sized cans.

To me the fact the alcoholic drinks are complimentary should not be an issue with regard to the quantity you request.

If it is stated somewhere one per customer fair enough but otherwise -

The staff are there to serve you not judge you and if you request two cans thats what they should hand over without question.

amcluesent

What controls are in place to stop rogue staff slipping a miniature into their pocket when operating the drinks trolley?

snail

Established Member
How closely do they stick to the 70 minute rule? I'm in Newcastle next week and have booked a couple of FC Advances to York and back for a day out at the NRM. 57 minutes there (0956) but 71 back (1535)...

Butts

Veteran Member
How closely do they stick to the 70 minute rule? I'm in Newcastle next week and have booked a couple of FC Advances to York and back for a day out at the NRM. 57 minutes there (0956) but 71 back (1535)...

Sit as close as you can to where they are dishing up from and you should be okay or at least be in with a fighting chance.

This works out ok on Virgin.

amcluesent

How closely do they stick to the 70 minute rule?

There's a 50:50 chance you'll be asked for your destination. Your conscience must decide how you answer :) Or you say 'I'm going all the way!".

Last edited:

On the way down dont sit in your reserved seat or if you do remove the reservation, if they ask well its up to you (you could always be breaking your journey and heading to Kings X later;)). It will only be bacon toastie or porridge at that time though. Should be fine going back as it is over 70mins due to the padding because Newcastle is where the train finishes. A bit stupid how you could be refused the offer on a scottish service but get it on a Newcastle terminator, but there you go:roll:

StrollerEd

this illustates very well the flaws in the 'complimentary' offering for travel that is not point-to-point (as is air travel). The USP of FC should be comfort and quiet plus catering arrangements that ensure that long distance travelers do not go hungry - and perhaps can delight in good food given that they have not opted for the quicker plane.
the latter can be achieved by asking the customer to pay for their food - as they would ordinarily (some airlines do provide but the cheaper ones dont) - or by including a voucher in some types of ticket*.

* the bargain hotel prices come without breakfast

snail

Established Member
this illustates very well the flaws in the 'complimentary' offering for travel that is not point-to-point (as is air travel). The USP of FC should be comfort and quiet plus catering arrangements that ensure that long distance travelers do not go hungry
Yes, I'm more used to Virgin on the West Coast but I've largely given up on their food offering as it's not much more than a snack and changes too often.

the bargain hotel prices come without breakfast
It's not just the bargain places. I'm staying at Malmaison, which ain't exactly cheap but is room only. A bacon toastie on the train will be a good substitute for the overpriced hotel offering!