• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground Boxing Day

rmt4ever

I have never know the NLL or any other Overground operated lines operate a service on Boxing day, in line with 99% of UK Rail routes on this day.

But this year tfl seem to be indicating that they are running a RRBS on LOTS of overground lines. Is this new? And WHY are they doing it? The way the service and RRBSs are described on the tfl website isn’t the best:

LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, Wednesday 27, Thursday 28 and Friday 29 December, no service between Highbury & Islington and New Cross Gate / New Cross / Clapham Junction. Replacement buses operate.
Replacement buses operateBoxing Day, Wednesday and Thursday only:service S: Camden Road - Holloway Road Underground station - Highbury & Islington - Canonbury (St Pauls Road) - Dalston Junction (for Dalston Kingsland) - Hackney Central - Homerton - Hackney Wick - Stratford;All days:service X: Dalston Kingsland - Dalston Junction - Haggerston - Hoxton - Shoreditch High Street - Whitechapel (for London Buses route D3 to Shadwell and Wapping) - Tower Gateway DLR Station - Bermondsey Underground Station (for London Buses routes 381 and C10 to Rotherhithe) - Canada Water (for London Buses routes 381 and C10 to Rotherhithe) - Surrey Quays - Deptford Bridge DLR Station - New Cross - New Cross Gate.Wednesday, Thursday and Friday only:service M: Canada Water - Surrey Quays - Queens Road Peckham - Peckham Rye - Denmark Hill - Clapham High Street - Wandsworth Road - Clapham Junction
LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, Wednesday 27 and Thursday 28 December, no service between Sydenham and West Croydon. For Norwood Junction, use Southern connections to/from Crystal Palace. Use local buses for Penge West, Anerley and West Croydon.

LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, no service between Liverpool Street and Chingford. Please use local London Buses and London Underground services.

LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, no service between Liverpool Street and Enfield Town / Cheshunt. Please use local London Buses and London Underground services.

LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, no service between Romford and Upminster. Please use local London Buses routes.

LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, no service between Richmond / Shepherds Bush and Stratford. Use District line between Richmond and Gunnersbury and local London Buses routes 220 and 228 between Shepherds Bush and Willesden Junction. Replacement buses operate.
Replacement buses opearte:service R: Gunnersbury - South Acton (Acton Lane) - Acton Central - Willesden Junction - Kensal Rise - Queens Park (for Brondesbury Park) - Brondesbury - West Hampstead - Finchley Road Underground Station (for Finchley Road & Frognal) - Hampstead Heath - Gospel Oak (Agincourt Road / Southampton Road) - Kentish Town West - Camden Road;Service S: Camden Road - Holloway Road Underground station - Highbury & Islington - Canonbury (St Pauls Road) - Dalston Junction (for Dalston Kingsland) - Hackney Central - Homerton - Hackney Wick - Stratford;
LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, no service between Euston and Watford Junction. There will also be no BAKERLOO LINE service between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone. Special Bus Service 718 operates between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone. Please use local London Buses services for stations north of Harrow & Wealdstone.
Special Bus Service 718:Queens Park - Kensal Green - Willesden Junction (Harrow Road) - Harlesden Town Centre (for Harlesden station) - Stonebridge Park - Wembley (Park Lane) - Wembley Central - North Wembley - Preston Road (for Metropolitan line and South Kenton) - Kenton - Harrow & Wealdstone
LONDON OVERGROUND: Boxing Day, 26 December, no service between Gospel Oak and Barking Riverside. Please use local London Buses and London Underground services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
I have never know the NLL or any other Overground operated lines operate a service on Boxing day, in line with 99% of UK Rail routes on this day.

But this year tfl seem to be indicating that they are running a RRBS on LOTS of overground lines. Is this new? And WHY are they doing it? The way the service and RRBSs are described on the tfl website isn’t the best:
Not new at all. I'm an ex Overground driver and I worked boxing day in I think 2020. It started I think in 2019.

rmt4ever

But it seems like the only actual trains running is the tiny section between S Bush and Clapham. And then lots of RRBS’s. What is the point??

Waste of time and money and we keep hearing TFL is skint!

Crossrail is, as one would expect, completely closed today (no RRBS’s). so what is TFL’s logic? People who live in South Acton deserve a RRBS service but people in say Acton ML dont?

Just close the lot and have done with it. Its only two days a year!

Jan Mayen

Here in GTR land, the trains from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria are full and standing, despite 12 carriages per train and two per hour. Perhaps people want/need to travel today?

Meglos

But it seems like the only actual trains running is the tiny section between S Bush and Clapham. And then lots of RRBS’s. What is the point??
Also running services between Camden Road and Stratford. I believe these are deals TFL have in place with the Westfield Shopping Centres due to Boxing Day sales.

baz962

Established Member

Waste of time and money and we keep hearing TFL is skint!

Crossrail is, as one would expect, completely closed today (no RRBS’s). so what is TFL’s logic? People who live in South Acton deserve a RRBS service but people in say Acton ML dont?

To be fair the year I worked it we were doing Clapham to Gospel Oak.

As the one bit of the Overground I'd use is shut - YET AGAIN - I don't begrudge anyone else that actually needs to get somewhere for work/leisure a service that allows them do so .......tis the season after all.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's not a waste at all; the crowding just demonstrates how if you run services then people will use them (quelle surprise!).

You'd barely believe it was Boxing Day from how busy the trains are where I am at the moment.

thedbdiboy

Here in GTR land, the trains from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria are full and standing, despite 12 carriages per train and two per hour. Perhaps people want/need to travel today?

It's not a waste at all; the crowding just demonstrates how if you run services then people will use them (quelle surprise!).

You'd barely believe it was Boxing Day from how busy the trains are where I am at the moment.
Trains also full and standing on the East Croydon - Victoria stopping service, yet pretty much all of England and Wales has no service whatsoever - the demand is clearly there for more than that!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Lots of routes are also closed due to engineering works; Elizabeth line (Crossrail) for instance has nothing east of Paddington and there’s no access to the main depot. A skeleton service could run in some places and maybe it - and other routes - will in future if the infrastructure is available.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Lots of routes are also closed due to engineering works; Elizabeth line (Crossrail) for instance has nothing east of Paddington and there’s no access to the main depot. A skeleton service could run in some places and maybe it - and other routes - will in future if the infrastructure is available.
I was wondering why the Elizabeth line central section was closed on Boxing Day. The explanation makes perfect sense.

Master29

Established Member
Makes good sense given there is demand. Traditionally boxing day was a day of sales anyway but punters have been less in recent years. Perhaps the black Friday deals might have a lot to do with this.

bicbasher

Established Member
I imagine the 2tph shuttle service between New Cross Gate and Crystal Palace was barely used yesterday? (It continues until Thursday and then goes up to 4tph with those going to West Croydon on Friday).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I was wondering why the Elizabeth line central section was closed on Boxing Day. The explanation makes perfect sense.

Well I mean to say east of Ealing Broadway for 4 days. Shenfield and Abbey Wood trains are/were terminating at Paddington.
Boxing Day was planned maintenance / standard shutdown. Not sure TfL Rail ever ran a Boxing Day service.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not sure TfL Rail ever ran a Boxing Day service.
TfL Rail would been unlikely to have run on Boxing Day given it ran exclusively on NR tracks. On the other hand Paddington - Abbey Wood is TfL. However, I imagine getting the trains from Old Oak and back again would be the issue.

TfL has a policy of running a Sunday service on Boxing Day on everything it can. So buses, DLR, trams and the cable car all run.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
TfL Rail would been unlikely to have run on Boxing Day given it ran exclusively on NR tracks. On the other hand Paddington - Abbey Wood is TfL. However, I imagine getting the trains from Old Oak and back again would be the issue.

TfL has a policy of running a Sunday service on Boxing Day on everything it can. So buses, DLR, trams and the cable car all run.

Yes it would have been an issue, and Plumstead would hold enough trains for maybe 4 trains an hour, which might not be enough.