• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground - Trainee Train Driver - New Cross Gate (15/11/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Applepie356

Been invited to take the online VSE, any tips or guidance to prepare for it? Any decent material available online?
All the info you need is in the email. It offers a practice paper and the tests have a practice run before they start (not the final stage though)

Make sure you use a PC with a mouse.

I got rejected from the start, they asked me to complete a few survey questions and then rejected me based on either distance or OPC testing history (which I have 1 life left on)

Emailed them explaining that I can make it to New Cross Gate within the hour and waiting a response

Neonburger

Just taken the VSE, I don’t know if it was just me, but I believe my part 1 seemed far too easy and possibly glitched.

Had exactly the same 2 errors on every single loop, purple dot and skipped one at the same locations every time…
It was a replica of the practice test 7 times.

Unless I suppose I missed some?

Applepie356

Just taken the VSE, I don’t know if it was just me, but I believe my part 1 seemed far too easy and possibly glitched.

Had exactly the same 2 errors on every single loop, purple dot and skipped one at the same locations every time…
It was a replica of the practice test 7 times.

Unless I suppose I missed some?
Yeah I had the same for part 1, exactly the same errors each time.

I haven’t taken the test before so I can’t comment as to whether it’s supposed to be different or not.

Samzino

Been offered First stage assessment centre dates in Jan! Good luck to everyone.
Congrats

I just realized this would be for April 24 which is interesting, does anyone have contact details for arriva as I assume we can't reply to the address sending us the emails? Thanks

NVM just found it: [email protected]

Last edited:

Applepie356

Congrats

I just realized this would be for April 24 which is interesting, does anyone have contact details for arriva as I assume we can't reply to the address sending us the emails? Thanks

From experience I struggled to get any replies from that email address.

The email that got sent out was from someone within the company with a non-so generic email address so I assumed replying to their email would have sufficient.

Samzino

From experience I struggled to get any replies from that email address.

The email that got sent out was from someone within the company with a non-so generic email address so I assumed replying to their email would have sufficient.
Dang, pretty poor that from the recruitment team if you can't contact one of them directly. I do remember the last personnel's email I saw in the old campaign was for a Ms. Alexandra Flemming.

I'm asking as a Pal of mine today received:

Thank you for your recent application for the Trainee Driver role with Arriva Rail London.

Unfortunately, you did not meet the required criteria for a Trainee Driver with ARL, follwoing a check with the OPC.

We encourage you to visit the careers site frequently to apply for suitable positions that are of interest to you in the future.

We wish you all the best in your job search and future endeavours.

For now, thank you for your application and interest in this role.

Best Regards,
Arriva Recruitment Team

Problem is that he's recently sat assessments for Avanti Stage 1 but it yet to hear back, if the email above(which is very vague) is referring to the online VSE he sat with Arriva then that is fine but if its referring to the OPC Assessments he sat in the assessment center then that would explain. However OPC apparently when he called just said refer to Arriva.

Applepie356

Dang, pretty poor that from the recruitment team if you can't contact one of them directly. I do remember the last personnel's email I saw in the old campaign was for a Ms. Alexandra Flemming.

I'm asking as a Pal of mine today received:

Problem is that he's recently sat assessments for Avanti Stage 1 but it yet to hear back, if the email above(which is very vague) is referring to the online VSE he sat with Arriva then that is fine but if its referring to the OPC Assessments he sat in the assessment center then that would explain. However OPC apparently when he called just said refer to Arriva.
It could be possible that he failed the VSE. It’s worded poorly but that’s what I presume the “check with the OPC” refers to.

Interestingly the email sent out says: “If you have previously sat and passed/failed the OPC, you will still need to attend. The assessment will take place at…” which leads me to believe he didn’t get a high enough mark for the VSE.

Samzino

It could be possible that he failed the VSE. It’s worded poorly but that’s what I presume the “check with the OPC” refers to.

Interestingly the email sent out says: “If you have previously sat and passed/failed the OPC, you will still need to attend. The assessment will take place at…” which leads me to believe he didn’t get a high enough mark for the VSE.
I do believe as well that he didn't score enough in the VSE. I recently myself sat the OPC Assessments(Within the 6 month period) and I'm yet to hear back from Arriva about the VSE results but also from OPC for my Stage 1 results so if I get the same email then its most likely talking about the OPC Assessment day results.

Hopefully not however :smile:

auqu74

Congrats

That email does reply. I had a response from this email address earlier on today.

Does anybody have any information on the OPC assessments and also if it's been passed already does it need to be resat?

Joe

Samzino

That email does reply. I had a response from this email address earlier on today.

Does anybody have any information on the OPC assessments and also if it's been passed already does it need to be resat?

Joe
Cheers

I believe on the application they did ask if you've already sat the assessments before(at least on the June campaign it did), they check however the OPC with your national insurance number for any valid passes on the database and then should tell you what you will be sitting or if you've skipped to the DMI then it will usually be a DMI date not long after. Its unusual but possible you may have to re-sit all the stages again for some TOCs but if that is the case they will always tell you.

Ace91

Hi, does anyone know how long your OPC tests are valid for? I passed all my test before lockdown with Arriva Rail (March 2020) if I remember correctly. Wondering if I would have to retake all test?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

baz962

Established Member
Hi, does anyone know how long your OPC tests are valid for? I passed all my test before lockdown with Arriva Rail (March 2020) if I remember correctly. Wondering if I would have to retake all test?

Officially five years. But the toc can decide wether they will accept upto five years. Some only accept them upto two years or three years , but five years is the max .

Kelki

No you won’t I say mine then too. Starting course next year.

No you won’t I did mine then too. Starting course next year.

Last edited:

auqu74

Cheers

I believe on the application they did ask if you've already sat the assessments before(at least on the June campaign it did), they check however the OPC with your national insurance number for any valid passes on the database and then should tell you what you will be sitting or if you've skipped to the DMI then it will usually be a DMI date not long after. Its unusual but possible you may have to re-sit all the stages again for some TOCs but if that is the case they will always tell you.
Thank you. I passed with GA at the enhanced rate so hopefully don't have to sit it all again.

Jay85

As well as DFFT and M7SJT.
Hi there could you please advise does the M7SJT have train situation questions or general knowledge situation questions? Also how many questions are there roughly and how long time do you get?

Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jay

Terry844

Hi there could you please advise does the M7SJT have train situation questions or general knowledge situation questions? Also how many questions are there roughly and how long time do you get?

Your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Jay
The M7SJT you are given a paragraph (a situation) and then multiple choice answers and you select the answer that you would do. I think you select them in the order that you would do them. That is all there is to it

Jay85

The M7SJT you are given a paragraph (a situation) and then multiple choice answers and you select the answer that you would do. I think you select them in the order that you would do them. That is all there is to it
Thanks for your reply. How much time are you given for each question or the overall test?

Terry844

Thanks for your reply. How much time are you given for each question or the overall test?
I’m not sure if how long you get. but advice I will give is don’t dwell on the situation just pick what YOU would do or if they want the order pick them in the order YOU would do them and then move on to the next question. The test is to judge what YOU would do

Milink

Does anyone know where training takes place, I believe it was in Swiss Cottage, is that still the case.