• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Paddington [PAD] to Bristol Temple Meads [BRI] Out Sat, Rtn Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

derby

Hi,

A friend of mine has a Zones 1-3 Travelcard on Oyster and he is making the journey from London Paddington [PAD] to Bristol Temple Meads [BRI] this weekend - out on Saturday and back on Sunday.

The cheapest fares seem to be for walkup: SSR £53.50, and Advance: £49.50.

I've looked at using a Network Railcard (option to purchase if it offers a saving of £5+) up to Didcot, or Boundary Zone 3 onwards fares, but overall they all work out more expensive as he's not returning the same day.

Does anyone have any creative ideas to get it for cheaper than £49.50 please? I suppose it's not bad, but it doesn't seem that cheaper either, especially given the advance tickets only offer a 7% saving.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
I would definitely not buy those Advance tickets for such a small saving. You can get slightly cheaper APs by specifying via Bristol Parkway, for £44.50, but it's still not worth the loss in flexibility IMO.

Ealing Broadway-Bristol SVR Not Via London is £51.50. If he does get a Network Railcard, buying an Ealing Broadway - Didcot SVR and Didcot-Bristol SSR shaves a little off making it £49.75.

If he doesn't mind the long route via Salisbury, a SVR Wimbledon-Clifton Down Route:Warminster/Salisbury is £43.50. I expect you could get a coach for much less money and a similar time though.

Last edited:

soil

Established Member
You can also split at Pewsey, going via Westbury from Reading to save a couple of pounds.

sonic2009

Established Member
Travel via Megabus for under £25 depending on what time you wish to leave London and arrive back into London on the Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.