• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
I will be travelling from Orpington to Exeter on Wednesday afternoon. I am tall, so need decent legroom, and would hope to do some work on my laptop - wifi would be useful. I will have a wheelie suitcase with me. I would prefer a reserved seat with a table.

My options are either Paddington to Exeter via GWR, or Waterloo to Exeter via SWR. A default may be to drive via M3 and A303.

GWR is the most obvious, but the interchange at Waterloo is obviously simpler. Is the SWR journey slow and laborious, and not well-suited to trying to work? Any suggestions as to the best option?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
As Loyd Grossman used to say "Let's look at the evidence"

1. If you choose Paddington you get a faster journey and if you get there early you can usually get one of the middle of coach seats in the unreserved coach which has a table and a bit more leg room and you get electrical sockets to keep your gadgets charged.

2. If you choose Waterloo, you get a slower journey, but you can get a table with more leg room, but no sockets, also you have to be a bit careful about which train you catch as some divide at Salisbury, so you may find yourself on a 3 car which can get cramped.

However you can book seats and should be able to select the best options available for you.

3. Driving, if you leave early, you should be able to do the journey on the A303 in about 4-5 hours (I can do Woking to Taunton in 3 hours via A303/358) , which is broadly similar to the overall train time with changes and connection time allowed. Also driving gives you the freedom to travel at a time which suits you, no worries about train delays or missed connections.

The drawback is that you can't do any work or use your gadgets and you will have to pay for fuel and parking and parking in Exeter isn't fun. Don't forget to take your sat nav.

Personally I've given up on the train and now drive to the West, for two reasons.

1. The train is often late and misses the bus connection.

2. The area I go to isn't served by rail anymore.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I expect the West of England route services are only shown as reservable for those counted place advance bookings, that don't show a coach or seat.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I expect the West of England route services are only shown as reservable for those counted place advance bookings, that don't show a coach or seat.

Maybe the last time I looked it was for a megatrain, which of course is now longer available.

Anyway, my preferred method of travel is car now, the rail network is too unreliable, this is despite the fact that I have loads of travel facilities at my disposal, which I rarely if ever use.

Last edited:

JBuchananGB

It looks like you might be able to get advance ticket on the 1407 from Paddington, in which case you can request a table seat when you book. As long as you don't mind the underground from London Bridge to Paddington (Jubilee line change at Baker Street), I would think that would be the better option.

Long Rock

Shame its not tomorrow evening as im driving back from Essex to Plymouth and you could of hopped in my car

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you turn up at Waterloo early, it's pretty easy to get a table seat.

Have SWR started churning out seat reservations for Advance Purchase fares then ?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Nobody has suggested taking SWR from Waterloo in first class. It’s usually quite affordable and you’ll get a big seat on the 158s, with a charge point and WiFi, along with a decent table.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member

Have SWR started churning out seat reservations for Advance Purchase fares then ?

Just remember to be in the correct part of the train though, some divide twice.

Kite159

Veteran Member

I've not seen any seat reservation labels making a comeback, so I think it's still counted place.

Rule of thumb, normally it's the front 3/6 coaches which continues to Exeter.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Cheers. I've no objections to seat reservations where people ask for them, but I think providing them where not requested would be a retrograde step.

Antman

Established Member
It would be the Waterloo option for me, cheaper and the time difference isn't that great when you factor in not having to get to Paddington.

Status
Not open for further replies.