• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Italy by train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

Im looking to go to Rome ideally and possibly Milan. Would ideally fly but flights are too early. I hate long train journeys ideally not over 4 or 5 hours.

So if I did get the train I’d take an East coast to London and get Eurostar. However I’d need maybe a few overnight stops. Switzerland seems a good option so maybe London to there and travel to Milan? Is there any other good options?

If I end up getting the plane I can fly to Milan at a decent time. I could then consider the train to Rome..in the ideal world I would go right to Rome however if I don’t a day trip is still ok. Don’t plan on doing this trip until next year but would like an idea what to do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nickswift99

Im looking to go to Rome ideally and possibly Milan. Would ideally fly but flights are too early. I hate long train journeys ideally not over 4 or 5 hours.

So if I did get the train I’d take an East coast to London and get Eurostar. However I’d need maybe a few overnight stops. Switzerland seems a good option so maybe London to there and travel to Milan? Is there any other good options?

If I end up getting the plane I can fly to Milan at a decent time. I could then consider the train to Rome..in the ideal world I would go right to Rome however if I don’t a day trip is still ok. Don’t plan on doing this trip until next year but would like an idea what to do.
If you're planning on doing this trip any time soon, bear in mind the current SNCF industrial action in France which could scupper any plans you have.

Veteran Member
If time is limited, you could incorporate the Munich-Rome Nightjet sleeper.

As to the SNCF strikes, ATM Eurostar to Brussels hasn't been badly affected at times relevant for onward connections through Germany. However it's rather quicker via Paris.

Chris225

I'm planning a trip later this year where my current plan is to VTEC( Or whatever it is by then) to London then Eurostar to Paris, Next day to take the TGV Lyria to Zurich and spend the night, next Morning to travel to Milan via the Bernina Express, then the following day head to Naples on the Freciarossa so i can visit Pompeii then fly back to Edinburgh.

Got most of my ideas from the maninseat61 website posted above :)

MarcVD

Other option : Eurostar to Brussels, then onwards German ICE to Frankfurt.
Overnight there (will be hell of a lot cheaper than in Switzerland) and next morning, SBB/CFF train direct to Milano. No station change... and arrival in Milano early enough to continue to Roma if you with so.

TwistedMentat

I recently did Rome to Strasbourg over a couple days. It's quite nice actually.

High speed trains link Rome to Milan and then highish speed trains link Milan to Basel.

It's very much doable and fairly comfortable. But it all depends on how much of your time you want to spend travelling.

urbophile

Established Member
What's wrong with Eurostar to Paris (G du Nord) then TGV from Gare de Lyon to Milan (3 times daily)? Milan is well worth an overnight stop if you want to go further, and you can get from there to most major Italian cities without changing. Pricey compared to budget airlines, though to my mind much more preferable.

JB_B

Established Member
What's wrong with Eurostar to Paris (G du Nord) then TGV from Gare de Lyon to Milan (3 times daily)? Milan is well worth an overnight stop if you want to go further, and you can get from there to most major Italian cities without changing. Pricey compared to budget airlines, though to my mind much more preferable.

Yes - infinitely prefererable. ( Nothing wrong with that route at all - possibly the SNCF industrial action mentioned in post #3 means posters are focussing on via-Switzerland/Austria.)

It can be reasonably priced, too - loco2.com is currently showing mid week returns TGV Paris-Milan +vv in late May for £90 (or £103 in 1st - probably worth it given the length of the journey.)

I've done Paris-Turin a couple of times and changing there might be a good plan if 5 hours+ on the train is your limit.

Gadget88

I’m thinking the 7 hour journey from Paris may be too ambitious and I may have to fly then take a train to Venice.

The Man in seat 61 does some good journeys and I’ve seen London to Milan done in Top Gear but I’m not a fan of long train journeys.

By train the only way to reduce it would do Basel to Milan in 4 hours. Now my plan by train was to do Milan and take a day trip to Rome however flying means I can stay in rome.

My longest train journey has been around 4-5 hours also don’t like the idea of flying to New York would love to go again it’s time. I was going to take the train to Barcelona this but instead I decided to fly.

I’m most comfortable doing Germany Holland and Belgium by train plus France as it’s less time.

Veteran Member
I’m thinking the 7 hour journey from Paris may be too ambitious and I may have to fly then take a train to Venice.

The Man in seat 61 does some good journeys and I’ve seen London to Milan done in Top Gear but I’m not a fan of long train journeys.

By train the only way to reduce it would do Basel to Milan in 4 hours. Now my plan by train was to do Milan and take a day trip to Rome however flying means I can stay in rome.

You don't mention where on the ECML you are starting. Given your preferences, why not fly one way and come back in stages by rail. And give Rome much more than a day!

Gadget88

You don't mention where on the ECML you are starting. Given your preferences, why not fly one way and come back in stages by rail. And give Rome much more than a day!

Would start from Edinburgh and yes Rome is probably a big place so might need more than a day..

ac6000cw

Established Member
Rome is a huge city (with a population of nearly 3 million) - you need much more than a day just to scratch the surface, there is interesting historical stuff on almost every street in the older parts of it.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thello sleeper trains run from Paris to Milan/Venice overnight - and at the moment the Premier Single berth with en suite is reduced to the same price as the regular single berth. Or berths shared with others start at €32.

This might be a good way to maximise your time?

Consider also using Italo to make your journeys around Italy - they are often cheaper than TrenItalia, and just as fast.

MarcVD

I'd say : skip the dull part. Fly from Edimburgh To Zurich, and then use the train to cross the Alps. Make sure you take one going over the Gotthard top and not one going through the tunnel. That will bring you to Milano, and then .Italo To Roma.

Gadget88

I believe there is a direct Eurostar to Lyon after 7am in the morning perhaps I could stay in London 1 night?

Veteran Member
https://www.trainline.eu/train-times/lyon-to-milan

I found a journey time of 4 hours 38 mins from Lyon can’t see it on any other site can anybody confirm if this journey is possible?

I am actually planning to visit Lyon soon so perhaps this is an option for a shorter train journey?

The DB website shows it, though I would be inclined to stay on the TGV which terminates at Porta Garibaldi, rather than risk a tight connection. And it should be cheaper, as both are global price trains.

Looking at the SNCF site, the TGVs are the Paris-Milan service which serve Lyon-St. Euxpery aka Airport. However, getting out there is a premium fare on the metro/tram IIRC.

Last edited:

Gadget88

Staying over at Torino not worth while says 5 hours from Paris so another option?

Gadget88

The DB website shows it, though I would be inclined to stay on the TGV which terminates at Porta Garibaldi, rather than risk a tight connection. And it should be cheaper, as both are global price trains.

Looking at the SNCF site, the TGVs are the Paris-Milan service which serve Lyon-St. Euxpery aka Airport. However, getting out there is a premium fare on the metro/tram IIRC.

So would that be a different train or a longer one?

Gadget88

Before making a choice I would need more info on what Milano Porta Garibaldi is like hotels wise how close to centre ect would have to stay near that station to travel to Rome one day and Venice the next.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
https://www.trainline.eu/train-times/lyon-to-milan
I found a journey time of 4 hours 38 mins from Lyon can’t see it on any other site can anybody confirm if this journey is possible?
I am actually planning to visit Lyon soon so perhaps this is an option for a shorter train journey?

I haven't done a full search, but the DB Planner (always the best site for train times) shows a 4h38 Lyon-Milan transit from mid-September onwards.
Before then, it's 5h38, leaving an hour earlier and running on a longer route via Grenoble rather than Chambery, hence the longer journey.
Also the 1715 arrival in Milan is by changing at Torino into a Trenitalia Rome-bound Frecciarossa (12 minutes change), otherwise the through train arrives at Milan Porta Garibaldi at 1750.
This train is the Paris-Milan TGV with first stop Lyon St Exupery (that's the one on the Lyon by-pass line out at the airport).
Starting from central Lyon you have a bit of a metro trek to reach St Exupery.

Gadget88

A long metro trip not ideal that takes me back to Torino. That can be done from Paris in 5 hours. Is it worth staying here and visiting Rome and Venice on a day trip?

Gadget88

I found a Paris Gare de Lyon
To Milano Porta Garibaldi 6 hours change in Torino with 12 mins to change is this too short?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I found a Paris Gare de Lyon To Milano Porta Garibaldi 6 hours change in Torino with 12 mins to change is this too short?

You're looking at the same train, Paris-Lyon St Exupery-Torino-Milano PG.
The change at Torino gets you to Milan quicker but you take the risk (in my view not reliable), and there will be fare complications for Milan.
It all depends what comes up on the booking sites.
If you miss the Milan connection, the next is an hour later (and not directly to Porto Garibaldi).

The Paris departure is normally 1041, but 0941 when the train runs via Grenoble during the summer (16 July-9 Sept).
The Lyon departure is similarly 1237, but 1138 via the summer Grenoble route.

There's another Paris-Milan TGV at 1637, Lyon SeE 1637, Milan PG 2150 but this does not operate during the Grenoble diversion period.

Gadget88

Would anybody recommend one night in Paris and heading to Turin for two nights so I can spend a day visit to Milan as it’s quite close by? Turin is just over 5 hours and a bit less time on a train. I could travel Turin to London in a day aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.