• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Munich by train - Eurostar connection/what to do if delayed.

afc75

Hi. I am looking at booking a ticket from London to Munich.

Itenirary is 9.01 london to brussels. Arrive 12.05. Eurostar

12.25 Brussels to Frankfurt . Arrive 15.31. ICE

15.53 Franfurt to Munich. Arrive 19.07.
ICE.

I notice i'm being sold 2 separate tickets. What are my rights/options if the Eurostar is delayed and i miss 12.25?

Similarly on my return journey, what are my rights if the ICE/DB legs are delayed? I have 66 minutes for return connection at Brussels.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
My recommendation would be to instead get a through Eurostar ticket to cologne on the 13:25 to cologne and pick up a Munich ICE from there.

Also I would personally want more than 66 minute connection at Brussels but that is just me having been bitten twice by the ICE services to Brussels.

stuu

Established Member
My recommendation would be to instead get a through Eurostar ticket to cologne on the 13:25 to cologne and pick up a Munich ICE from there.

Also I would personally want more than 66 minute connection at Brussels but that is just me having been bitten twice by the ICE services to Brussels.
I'm doing this in a few months, I have a similar connection in Brussels. From everything I have read online, it seems the Eurostar (from London) is reliable but the ICE isn't. So why would you want a deliberately longer connection in Brussels? Either 20 minutes there is fine, or you end up waiting anyway? What am I missing?

Ignore, not enough caffeine to read properly

Last edited:

afc75

I'm doing this in a few months, I have a similar connection in Brussels. From everything I have read online, it seems the Eurostar (from London) is reliable but the ICE isn't. So why would you want a deliberately longer connection in Brussels? Either 20 minutes there is fine, or you end up waiting anyway? What am I missing?
TBH, 20 min connection on way out, 66 min on way back (have 2 do passport/security).

I'm OK with both, just asking re my rights/options with my tickets if delayed.

stuu

Established Member
TBH, 20 min connection on way out, 66 min on way back (have 2 do passport/security).

I'm OK with both, just asking re my rights/options with my tickets if delayed.
Oh yes, I clearly misread the first message and the response. D'oh

Gaelan

I believe you’ll be covered by HOTNAT; in the event if any disruption, ask the Brussels ticket office to stamp your ticket to make it valid on the next train.

afc75

I believe you’ll be covered by HOTNAT; in the event if any disruption, ask the Brussels ticket office to stamp your ticket to make it valid on the next train.
Thanks, that is what i was looking for.

Much difference between 1st and 2nd class on ICE? Thinking of paying the extra.

I have looked into Cologne option.

When you had your issues missing the connection, how much hassle (or cost) did you have resolving?

I would work out if an Interrail Pass is more cost effective, it certainly is for me when heading towards the UK and I want to do an additional trip on the NR network.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Thanks, that is what i was looking for.

Much difference between 1st and 2nd class on ICE? Thinking of paying the extra.

I have looked into Cologne option.

When you had your issues missing the connection, how much hassle (or cost) did you have resolving?
HOTNAT did not get entertained when I had an issue. But it was during mass strike action.

I did get a refund for tickets I bought for Eurostar minus about £10. I have always since just been more wary at Brussels as it takes stress out of the trip for me personally.

mtmikethom

Don’t know about other ticket sellers but when purchasing from DB it states that the whole journey is a single contract (even though they are separate tickets)

afc75

Don’t know about other ticket sellers but when purchasing from DB it states that the whole journey is a single contract (even though they are separate tickets)
Thanks.

I have now booked direct with DB, seems to state 2 separate contracts (Eurostar & DB). But a lot cheaper than my other options, so hope all works.

I'll update thread if i do have any issues (travelling 16th April, return 18th).

Each ticket for a train journey documents a single contract of carriage, several tickets document separate contracts of carriage. On a long-distance ticket outward and return journeys are separate contracts of carriage. If the ticket also entitles you to use other modes of transport beside the train (bus, underground, tram, etc.), a separate contract of carriage is concluded with each carrier of a corresponding mode of transport.

mtmikethom

Thanks.

I have now booked direct with DB, seems to state 2 separate contracts (Eurostar & DB). But a lot cheaper than my other options, so hope all works.

I'll update thread if i do have any issues (travelling 16th April, return 18th).

Each ticket for a train journey documents a single contract of carriage, several tickets document separate contracts of carriage. On a long-distance ticket outward and return journeys are separate contracts of carriage. If the ticket also entitles you to use other modes of transport beside the train (bus, underground, tram, etc.), a separate contract of carriage is concluded with each carrier of a corresponding mode of transport.

Haven’t seen that on the DB site, last time I booked it said this and just looking it still does?

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 17

rvdborgt

Haven’t seen that on the DB site, last time I booked it said this and just looking it still does?
If you book from London to Germany, you are transferred to a separate DB website and it warns you that you'll receive separate contracts.

Gaelan

What's HOTNAT?
“Hop on the Next Available Train”, an agreement among the operators in the “Railteam” alliance. Broadly, when connecting between high-speed trains of participating operators, at certain stations, you can go to the ticket office and get a stamp that allows you to take the next train. It’s less than the bare minimum but it’s good it exists.