• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Sheffield, group of 8 - 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitishBrail

Hey all,

I'm looking to travel from London to Sheffield return with a group of between 8 and 10. I've spoken to the group travel person at East Midland, and with a group of 10 people the fare is £42 per person, whereas if we all buy our tickets separately the fare is £75 per person.

The problem is that we're still not sure if everyone can make it, so I don't want to buy a ticket for ten people to have a couple drop out and invalidate the ticket. If we buy the group tickets for ten people, but only eight of us travel, does that make the ticket invalid..?

Alternatively, are there any other discounts that would be suitable for a group of eight or nine?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There might be Groupsave (for three or five people, or multiples thereof), but I'm not certain of the fare per person (those listed on BRFares don't seem right to me)

barrykas

Established Member
There might be Groupsave (for three or five people, or multiples thereof), but I'm not certain of the fare per person (those listed on BRFares don't seem right to me)

EMT don't do GroupSave from/to London, alas. And looking through the Fares Finder (ticket types GR3 and GR4), they don't appear to do it for anywhere South of Derby if travelling to Sheffield.

RitishBrail

Ok, thanks for the replies guys.

Does anyone know what would happen if, say, we bought ten tickets, and then only nine of us made it to the train? Would we have to then buy new tickets on the train, or are we likely to be OK?

Alternatively, does anyone want to go to Sheffield in July? ;)

Yew

Established Member
its probably worth ringing up EMT again and explaining your situation. hopefully you will find out about validity, including any specific route and time restrictions.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You will need to ring EMT to enquire about this. Different companies have separate group travel arrangements. I would expect it to be fine for you to travel with eight people if all ten tickets (if issued as ten separate tickets) are held and presented, however I am not offering guarantees and you need to doublecheck with EMT.

telstarbox

Established Member
Is hiring a self-drive minibus an option? It might be cheaper than the group price quoted above if you have someone with the right driving licence.

RitishBrail

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I spoke to EMT again, and they've confirmed that if 8 or 9 of us try to travel on a 10 person group booking, we'd be liable to pay the excess up to the full fare for that service (which would be an additional £60 per person).

I've checked the East Coast trains, but they're £60+ per person return (including the group discount) for a non-direct service, rather than £42 each for the direct service with East Midland group travel.

This is all thoroughly frustrating. Why on earth should it matter to East Coast if there are ten people traveling on the ticket or just nine, if we've paid for them?

It's like having a 'buy one, get one free' offer on an item at the supermarket, deciding only to have one, and then being charged more not to take two of the items. I just can't make sense of it. Grrrr.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Buy the EMT special group travel for 8 or 9 people, then buy a separate normal walkup ticket for 1 or 2 extra people on the day if everyone turns up.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I spoke to EMT again, and they've confirmed that if 8 or 9 of us try to travel on a 10 person group booking, we'd be liable to pay the excess up to the full fare for that service (which would be an additional £60 per person).
EMT don't like customers, they don't want your custom (Brian Souter owns the parent company), so I'd look at alternatives.
I've checked the East Coast trains, but they're £60+ per person return (including the group discount) for a non-direct service, rather than £42 each for the direct service with East Midland group travel.
When are you travelling?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for your help, everyone.

I think by full fare they meant the Anytime Single of £104 per person. If that happens then in addition you will have to pay separately for your return journey.

This is, quite frankly, ridiculous. If you present all ten tickets on the day of travel most other TOCs will probably be fine with only eight people going. What happens of the others fall ill? What happens if they had a last minute funeral to go to?

The safest bet for you would be to only purchase tickets for those that are definitely going. The walk-on fare is £70.50 so those who cannot confirm might need to purchase walk-on fares (provided that you can travel outside the restricted hours). If they have a Railcard, then it is a third off.

Another option for you is to book tickets for those who have already confirmed with this deal, and then add more people as more confirm. It is a bit more hassle and there is no guarantee that EMT will be happy to add more people repeatedly but worth a try.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Two adults are not allowed to travel on a Family Railcard without a child, even if they buy an extra child ticket. I guess the same principle applies in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.