• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I was on the last round trip, the 2125, and had friends on the final trip back to Earl's Court. It was a fantastic experience and definitely worth the rather hefty price tag for the run without a doubt.

Stopped in a couple of stations en route and also had a good twenty minutes at Edgware Road to take photos etc, and it was a great reaction from the platforms - although nowhere near as many photographers out as I expected following on from the last A Stock tour (this is true also of the day in general, not just the trip I was on). The highlights have to be those completely unaware that a steam train was due through, and a particularly memorable (intoxicated) individual at High Street Kensington proclaiming 'Best Train Ever!' as the convoy rolled through - naturally answered with a blast on Met 1's whistle.

Hats off to everyone who made it happen, and let's hope that the rest of this year's events are equally great. Certainly the 'word' is that there could be a repeat in the future, or at least a return of 'Steam on the Met' for more than a one off. Can't say how accurate that is, although it did come from employees.

A fantastic day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
I would have liked to have seen this, though I think the way they are using the term "tube" is a bit iffy; the term certainly wasn't used 150 years ago as actual tube trains had not been invented then ;)

Come now, we have had this discussion, it is what it is ;)

I got my act together to go down to get a few shots of the later service only to get there to find I left my camera at home :oops: But was great seeing it just appear out of the darkness then away back into it.

Really do hope they do more of them this year.

Daniel

Established Member
Certainly the 'word' is that there could be a repeat in the future, or at least a return of 'Steam on the Met' for more than a one off. Can't say how accurate that is, although it did come from employees.

That is certainly the current plan.

VEP3417

had a great time watching/taking photos - saw it at kensington olympia in the moring then kings cross for the last 3 runs in the evening..im suprised no one hung around for the battery locos but i did so got a few pics...and when i find out how to upload them i will haha

also i saw boris johnson and micheal portilo which was unexpected

urban469

Here's my vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVUVXosowY

I went on the final run of the night (Sarah Siddons Moorgate – Earls Court). It was magical. £50 well spent. Even though we weren't hauled by No.1, we still got the smoke and the horn every time we went through a station. I'd go again next week if there were tickets.

From the brass band at Moorgate, to the actors on the platform, and the beautiful, beautiful S-stock 150 wrap (http://imgur.com/24uX7) and the slideshow on the far wall of Moorgate station...oh, and the old-style Moorgate station signs, it was wonderfully organised.

One downer: some passengers getting rudely thrown out of the carriages at Earls Court because "we've only got 2 minutes to get out of here". They paid £50, let them take pics!

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
According to the latest gen the timings have changed for next Sunday with the shuttles turning back at Edgware Road again instead of Baker St - the first train however is still heading along the District to Gloucester Road to reverse, so the train will be in reverse formation.

Kensington (Olympia) dep 18 19
Gloucester Road (pfm. 3) arr 18 25½ Dep 18 26 (train reverses at Gloucester Road)
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 18 55½

Moorgate Dep 19 15½
Edgware Road (pfm 3) arr 19 30½

Edgware Road Dep 19 35
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 19 51½

Moorgate Dep 20 25½
Edgware Road (pfm 3) arr 20 40½

Edgware Road Dep 20 45
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 21 01½

Moorgate Dep 21 35½
Edgware Road (pfm 3) arr 21 50½

Edgware Road Dep 21 55
Moorgate (pfm. 4) arr 22 11½

Moorgate Dep 22 35½
Earl’s Court (pfm. 4) arr 23 03½
Dep 23 05½

Chris

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Did this train use the bay or through platforms at both Kenny O & Moorgate?

From what I have seen and read, it sounds like it was a great day and it would be good if these trains could be run again from time to time as has been suggested.

Where will the coaches and MET 1 & the electric loco be stored when not in use? Were the coaches from the Bluebell railway infact, as I think they have some old Met coaches. They certainly did when I was there 2 or 3 years ago along with a small loco called "Stepney" not sure if that was orig an underground loco or LBSCR.

It would be good if these were used sometimes.

Trainfan344

Established Member

From what I have seen and read, it sounds like it was a great day and it would be good if these trains could be run again from time to time as has been suggested.

Where will the coaches and MET 1 & the electric loco be stored when not in use? Were the coaches from the Bluebell railway infact, as I think they have some old Met coaches. They certainly did when I was there 2 or 3 years ago along with a small loco called "Stepney" not sure if that was orig an underground loco or LBSCR.

It would be good if these were used sometimes.

The Coaches are from the Bluebell yes, Stepney however is an LBSCR engine AFAIK

Chris125

Established Member

As they turned back at Moorgate the bays were used, and LU services can only access the bay at Olympia.

Where will the coaches and MET 1 & the electric loco be stored when not in use?

Seems like they'll remain in Lillie Bridge depot this week, after next sunday's run the Chesham set will return to the Bluebell.

Chris

igloo

I had a great day chasing the train around London, with an afternoon in the V&A while it was back in the depot. I was a little worried that the stations would be heaving in the evening, when there wouldn't be any light to see it outside, but it turned out that even Baker Street was absolutely fine. Was also good to see the train showing on the information screens, and some fantastic platform announcements keeping us informed.

Video of the heritage train running back and forth here, or a longer version including station announcements and a few other bits and pieces here, if you're interested.

Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen!

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
The LTM website has been updated and it looks like the steam runs will be running tonight though people should continue checking the website just in case.

Last Updated: 20 January, 13:55

NOTICE: We are still planning on running the steam train on Sunday 20 January, as part of the Tube 150 celebrations. Please keep an eye on the website for up to date information.

Please note that if the train is cancelled and we are unable to reschedule, ticket holders will be entitled to a full refund.

Chris

Goldfish62

Established Member
The LTM website has been updated and it looks like the steam runs will be running tonight though people should continue checking the website just in case.

Last Updated: 20 January, 13:55

NOTICE: We are still planning on running the steam train on Sunday 20 January, as part of the Tube 150 celebrations. Please keep an eye on the website for up to date information.

Please note that if the train is cancelled and we are unable to reschedule, ticket holders will be entitled to a full refund.

Chris

I went on it and what a fantastic and memorable evening it was.:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.