• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 applications)

Anothermarvel

Thank you. I did that then I got a call saying I don’t need to do it because I have a British passport ??
Did you get your documents verified when you visited Ash field House for any of the assesments?

Because I didn't. And maybe that's why I had to have my documents verified. I have a British passport but I was using my drivers license as identification.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorbet

Hi, if anyone can help, I am waiting for the screening check and where can I find the start date as I need to give notice for the current job.

Anothermarvel

Hi, if anyone can help, I am waiting for the screening check and where can I find the start date as I need to give notice for the current job.
You'll have to wait for them to call you.

If you read through the last few pages you'll find all the information you need.

Wakky

Mine is on 29th May. At the time there were no later dates - or earlier dates.

Seems they have opened up now.

Anyone starting 10th June? That's my start date.
Nice! You must have got the call before me as my next available date was 03June. I'm also starting training on the 10th June, see you there!
I also had to go to Stratford for the doc verification after my screening had completed, didn't have the option to do this online as others have stated on forum.

eastldn12

You’ll get your prelim start date after your screen checks from reed are finished. Once you pass screening you’ll get a drug and occupational health test appointment and a conditional start date along with it

What do these test focus on? Is it timed? Multiple questions?
Multiple answer, 80% correct to pass, they make it sound scary but everything you’re taught comes in the test

Anothermarvel

Nice! You must have got the call before me as my next available date was 03June. I'm also starting training on the 10th June, see you there!
I also had to go to Stratford for the doc verification after my screening had completed, didn't have the option to do this online as others have stated on forum.
Amazing! See you on the 10th!

I saw previous comments about receiving our uniforms on day 1. Are you going to bring a large bag/small suitcase?

Wakky

Amazing! See you on the 10th!

I saw previous comments about receiving our uniforms on day 1. Are you going to bring a large bag/small suitcase?
I think that would be best, either a large duffel bag or one of those cabin luggage suitcases. Hopefully it all fits!

If it doesn't, might have to sweet talk the Mrs into picking me up!

eastldn12

I think that would be best, either a large duffel bag or one of those cabin luggage suitcases. Hopefully it all fits!

If it doesn't, might have to sweet talk the Mrs into picking me up!
They give you your uniform at the end of the day in a large easy to carry cardboard box, the handle is flimsy though lol

Wakky

They give you your uniform at the end of the day in a large easy to carry cardboard box, the handle is flimsy though lol
Thanks for the tip! Would you recommend bringing in your own bag for the journey home?

Also, do they give both staff + nominee pass on the first day or is it just the staff one you get?

kkripa12

A bold claim, they have multiple questions they can ask based around topics/scenarios. There is no one size fits all and no interview is the same. They could repeat your interview word for word and still not get through and into the role.Written Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Tes

There are 4 stages

1 - Online assessment
2 - Class room based assessment
3 - Role play
4 - Interview Via Teams (8 questions, 4 warm up questions and 4 scenario based questions)

Anyone need help with the above I'll be more than happy to help

I have all the answers for all the stages.

Good luck

Ps. I have been successful and waiting for my training.
Hi am called in for the Written Communication Test and a Data Interpretation Test.
Could you please help for the same

Anothermarvel

Thanks for the tip! Would you recommend bringing in your own bag for the journey home?

Also, do they give both staff + nominee pass on the first day or is it just the staff one you get?

I think I'll bring a bag, just in case.

I did read on a previous post that we get our staff pass on the first day. I'm guessing the nominee pass would be given at the same time.

Ayomide93

Hi All,

For those awaiting medicals, I rang them now and i believe they are allocating dates for people starting in June already and someone would actually start calling from today. Is anyone starting 24th of June here?

And just to ask, would the training be at Ashfield house before getting posted to the stations?

Also, I applied for a Revenue Control Officer and have the assessment centre coming up soon, is it still advisable to go ahead? Which offers a more fulfilling career path between the CSA and RCO, and do they offer sponsorship when one moves to CSA1 and what's the likely salary for CSA1.

Thank you

Anothermarvel

Hi All,

For those awaiting medicals, I rang them now and i believe they are allocating dates for people starting in June already and someone would actually start calling from today. Is anyone starting 24th of June here?

And just to ask, would the training be at Ashfield house before getting posted to the stations?

Also, I applied for a Revenue Control Officer and have the assessment centre coming up soon, is it still advisable to go ahead? Which offers a more fulfilling career path between the CSA and RCO, and do they offer sponsorship when one moves to CSA1 and what's the likely salary for CSA1.

Thank you
Yes, from what I read, training for the CSA role is 2 weeks at Ashfield House and then 2 weeks at the station.

Can't really answer your other questions I'm afraid. I think that will be down to you and how you feel about the two roles.

eastldn12

Yeah you get the pass like right at the start, wouldn’t bother with a bag if you ordered every piece of uniform there’s a lot and it’s easier to carry it in the box

Yes, from what I read, training for the CSA role is 2 weeks at Ashfield House and then 2 weeks at the station.

Can't really answer your other questions I'm afraid. I think that will be down to you and how you feel about the two roles.
It’s 2 weeks at Ashfield, one week at the station, it’s supposed to then be 1 more week at Ashfield to do ticket office training but they’ve currently put that on hold, my group was the last to get their TSID cards, so I guess you guys must be doing 2 weeks now then

Wakky

Yeah you get the pass like right at the start, wouldn’t bother with a bag if you ordered every piece of uniform there’s a lot and it’s easier to carry it in the box

It’s 2 weeks at Ashfield, one week at the station, it’s supposed to then be 1 more week at Ashfield to do ticket office training but they’ve currently put that on hold, my group was the last to get their TSID cards, so I guess you guys must be doing 2 weeks now then
Good to know, thanks!
I think I'll bring a bag, just in case.

I did read on a previous post that we get our staff pass on the first day. I'm guessing the nominee pass would be given at the same time.
yeah or might just drive in for the first day lol!

eastldn12

Good to know, thanks!

yeah or might just drive in for the first day lol!
There is parking at Ashfield, the person I met at the head office did say I’d have to pay for public transport on the way there but have it free on the way back haha, we’re supposed to also have 70% off national rail by next year too

What do these test focus on? Is it timed? Multiple questions?
Not sure if this was already answered, the tests are timed and are multiple choice, you need to pass at least 80% but honestly as long as you pay attention in class, there’s no way to fail, and the trainers at Ashfield are absolutely lovely, the head of training Nick, despite him seeming scary, will honestly do everything in his power to help you.

asn.15_

Hey,

So I’ve recently just passed Stage 2 (Assessment) for CSA 2. I am a bit unsure as to what’s to come. I was told whilst at the centre that the next stage would be role play and interview on the same day.

Seeing some posts here, suggests the role play and interview are separate stages.

Could someone just confirm this?

Also, for the role play I am aware of two scenarios which I could potentially get.

1. One who is vaping in the station and when trying to leave the ticket is invalid and has no money to exit or no other methods of paying.

2. A homeless person in the station and you will be required to get them to leave.

Any other scenarios which others have faced apart from the two mentioned and also how would you go abouts in dealing with the two scenarios I’ve mentioned.

Many thanks!

Ayomide93

Hi guys, for the occupational health questionnaire, are we to send it back to TFL after filling the form or are we to just take it along for the medical examination.

Which are we to circle in this part as well :
LU : BCV / JNP/ SSR / London Rail / APD / CPD / COO / Crossrail / Tube Lines / AP JNP

TfL: Surface Transport / DAR / DLR / Tram link / VCS / Street Management / Corporate

Other:

And are we to include anything in the line manager name and contact details part as one isn't too sure?

Thank you

Wakky

There is parking at Ashfield, the person I met at the head office did say I’d have to pay for public transport on the way there but have it free on the way back haha, we’re supposed to also have 70% off national rail by next year too

Not sure if this was already answered, the tests are timed and are multiple choice, you need to pass at least 80% but honestly as long as you pay attention in class, there’s no way to fail, and the trainers at Ashfield are absolutely lovely, the head of training Nick, despite him seeming scary, will honestly do everything in his power to help you.
Nice! Happy to know we get free parking will help for the first day! I currently have a staff pass which I'm handing in today (my last day on the buses wohoo!) will be nice to get one back asap haha. Thanks again!

Anothermarvel

Hi guys, for the occupational health questionnaire, are we to send it back to TFL after filling the form or are we to just take it along for the medical examination.

Which are we to circle in this part as well :
LU : BCV / JNP/ SSR / London Rail / APD / CPD / COO / Crossrail / Tube Lines / AP JNP

TfL: Surface Transport / DAR / DLR / Tram link / VCS / Street Management / Corporate

Other:

And are we to include anything in the line manager name and contact details part as one isn't too sure?

Thank you

Bring the form with you to the medical assessment. They will personally take it from you.

Those sections you have pointed out are for current employees. If you are a new joiner you wouldn't know who your line manager is or employee number yet.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Nice! Happy to know we get free parking will help for the first day! I currently have a staff pass which I'm handing in today (my last day on the buses wohoo!) will be nice to get one back asap haha. Thanks again!
You don’t get free parking. Ashfield House is permit-controlled and the majority is reserved for District line train operators.

You might get lucky and be allowed to park by security, but I wouldn’t count on it.

This is true for the vast majority of operational locations, there is generally no staff parking and where there is it is usually ring fenced for trains and service control grades.

Wakky

You don’t get free parking. Ashfield House is permit-controlled and the majority is reserved for District line train operators.

You might get lucky and be allowed to park by security, but I wouldn’t count on it.

This is true for the vast majority of operational locations, there is generally no staff parking and where there is it is usually ring fenced for trains and service control grades.
I thought it was too good to be true, on first assessment at Ashfield I was told there was no parking but was hopeful haha. Nvm I'll try and find a paid spot nearby if anything. Thanks for the heads up!

shahan

There are 4 stages

1 - Online assessment
2 - Class room based assessment
3 - Role play
4 - Interview Via Teams (8 questions, 4 warm up questions and 4 scenario based questions)

Anyone need help with the above I'll be more than happy to help

I have all the answers for all the stages.

Good luck

Ps. I have been successful and waiting for my training.
Hi, do you have any tips for the classroom based assessments ?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I thought it was too good to be true, on first assessment at Ashfield I was told there was no parking but was hopeful haha. Nvm I'll try and find a paid spot nearby if anything. Thanks for the heads up!
Nothing to be lost by asking at the security hut first thing, but I wouldn’t count on it, especially as you won’t (yet) have any staff identification etc.

agileflea53

Hi guys, just completed my first experience with applying with the TFL for the CSA2 job role and I will break it down as much as I can,

1) Firstly it was the tests online they sent via link to complete, they were fairly easy but required some brain work and just to be quick, apart from that nothing too hard.

2) The second stage was the in house Assesment at Ashfield House, this again was easy and simple for a 25 year old, however I just barely finished at time was a serious constraint, and I worked quick with experience from doing exams from uni etc so I had the know how, if you are less experience with timed conditions maybe practice at home doing some.

3) The final bit ( where I failed and have A LOT to say about) was the Role play. Oh boy, where do I even start. got in Ashfield House and there was only 3 of us doing the role play, me and this woman arrived early and another gentleman arrived 15 minutes later, however they briefed us saying they can only do 2 since the other actor is not here yet, and they ultimately chose me to do it afterwards, waited an extra 30mins. not a good start since I was early and had to wait to do mine rather than the gentleman who arrived late... anyways, nothing too big of a deal.

I got into the room, the lady explained that the head of recruitment was in there as well assessing the assessor, to see how she marks the results etc. Great, extra unnecessary pressure. The lady briefed me, gave me a piece of paper which had useful information on it, she then asked me if I knew what buskin was... immediately I knew I would get this scenario, probably the worst scenario you can get.

She gave me 5 minutes to plan and prepare and make notes if needed, however I felt confident as I have practised religiously for a week, consulted family members who also passed this role and they also briefed me, I felt like I was in a good position (I also deal with customers day to day for years so I already know how to speak to people)

Once the 5 minutes was up, the actor came in. and I was right, it was a busker. she was singing asking for money, I approached her and asked her if she has a license or permit to be buskin here, as the info sheet said buskers require this. she said no, she is just trying to make some money to get to the next station, I said well unfortunately you need a license to actually perform here, and without presenting me with a valid proof of this I can't let you continue, the actor was again refusing etc etc, I then started to show sympathy (which was required) by saying, look, I get where you are coming from, hustling etc, however there's a correct way to do it. what I can do for you is I can take your details down, name, number, email and forward to our customer service team, they'll contact you regarding the license and how to apply, I will also mark it as priority, she said well how long will that take? I just threw a figure out my mouth said 5 days, then again she just starts refusing to work with me, not stopping despite me staying firm, I also tried the sympathy route, she's just being so difficult, she then sat down the chair and was vaping, I said you also can't vape, she's saying why not etc, im explaining its not pleasant for other customers with asthma and its health and safety hazard, I again try to work with her and sympathise by saying look, I know a homeless shelter 2 streets down I can write their address for you and you can see them if needs be, then I also said I understand you are trying to get to the next stop, what I will do on this one occasion is let you through the gate, for you to get to your stop. she's then saying oh but you work for TFL how are you letting people avoid fares for free, is this even allowed etc, I said on this occasion I will let it slide as you are in desperate need of help. she's again refusing and just question everything unrealistically...she said what if someone stops me I dont have a ticket, I said well ill give you a reference number, you can show them this and they will understand what it is for and let you pass. again, she's being firm and not listening or helping me out here, refusing to do so. last resort I said is ultimately you can't vape and buskin I may need to contact the BTP if you continue to refuse.

That's when the role play ended, we walked out and I said you absolutely killed me in there lol, she just giggled...

The lady then gave me feedback, the assessor, she said it was good I mentioned the homeless shelter but I needed to be a bit more engaging...? im sorry but I think I followed the correct protocol, what else could I have done in this situation? I genuinely feel a bit robbed, I followed the guidelines and rules and procedures, tried to work with this difficult person, remained calm, and even offered her a free ride...did she expect me to ask her personal questions like how are you homeless? or why are you in this situation ? with all due respect, this is not realistic and TFL can't expect everyone to have 10-15min convos with a busker (WHO IS NOT EVEN A CUSTOMER!!!)

I feel like the odds were stacked against me, the actor was just horrible and trying her best to go against me, not even helping me a little bit... and oh- the head of recruitment was in the room there too, which again im not sure if the actor thought let me try my hardest since she is here too and doesn't penalise me.

it's a bit sad, this was probably the worst scenario you can get since this person is not a customer, they are a beggar, offering nothing but wanting everything, so how you deal with them will be difficult.

Hope that helps others,

Wakky

Nothing to be lost by asking at the security hut first thing, but I wouldn’t count on it, especially as you won’t (yet) have any staff identification etc.
Might just get there a little earlier and give the security hut a try, worth an ask!

asn.15_

Hi guys, just completed my first experience with applying with the TFL for the CSA2 job role and I will break it down as much as I can,

1) Firstly it was the tests online they sent via link to complete, they were fairly easy but required some brain work and just to be quick, apart from that nothing too hard.

2) The second stage was the in house Assesment at Ashfield House, this again was easy and simple for a 25 year old, however I just barely finished at time was a serious constraint, and I worked quick with experience from doing exams from uni etc so I had the know how, if you are less experience with timed conditions maybe practice at home doing some.

3) The final bit ( where I failed and have A LOT to say about) was the Role play. Oh boy, where do I even start. got in Ashfield House and there was only 3 of us doing the role play, me and this woman arrived early and another gentleman arrived 15 minutes later, however they briefed us saying they can only do 2 since the other actor is not here yet, and they ultimately chose me to do it afterwards, waited an extra 30mins. not a good start since I was early and had to wait to do mine rather than the gentleman who arrived late... anyways, nothing too big of a deal.

I got into the room, the lady explained that the head of recruitment was in there as well assessing the assessor, to see how she marks the results etc. Great, extra unnecessary pressure. The lady briefed me, gave me a piece of paper which had useful information on it, she then asked me if I knew what buskin was... immediately I knew I would get this scenario, probably the worst scenario you can get.

She gave me 5 minutes to plan and prepare and make notes if needed, however I felt confident as I have practised religiously for a week, consulted family members who also passed this role and they also briefed me, I felt like I was in a good position (I also deal with customers day to day for years so I already know how to speak to people)

Once the 5 minutes was up, the actor came in. and I was right, it was a busker. she was singing asking for money, I approached her and asked her if she has a license or permit to be buskin here, as the info sheet said buskers require this. she said no, she is just trying to make some money to get to the next station, I said well unfortunately you need a license to actually perform here, and without presenting me with a valid proof of this I can't let you continue, the actor was again refusing etc etc, I then started to show sympathy (which was required) by saying, look, I get where you are coming from, hustling etc, however there's a correct way to do it. what I can do for you is I can take your details down, name, number, email and forward to our customer service team, they'll contact you regarding the license and how to apply, I will also mark it as priority, she said well how long will that take? I just threw a figure out my mouth said 5 days, then again she just starts refusing to work with me, not stopping despite me staying firm, I also tried the sympathy route, she's just being so difficult, she then sat down the chair and was vaping, I said you also can't vape, she's saying why not etc, im explaining its not pleasant for other customers with asthma and its health and safety hazard, I again try to work with her and sympathise by saying look, I know a homeless shelter 2 streets down I can write their address for you and you can see them if needs be, then I also said I understand you are trying to get to the next stop, what I will do on this one occasion is let you through the gate, for you to get to your stop. she's then saying oh but you work for TFL how are you letting people avoid fares for free, is this even allowed etc, I said on this occasion I will let it slide as you are in desperate need of help. she's again refusing and just question everything unrealistically...she said what if someone stops me I dont have a ticket, I said well ill give you a reference number, you can show them this and they will understand what it is for and let you pass. again, she's being firm and not listening or helping me out here, refusing to do so. last resort I said is ultimately you can't vape and buskin I may need to contact the BTP if you continue to refuse.

That's when the role play ended, we walked out and I said you absolutely killed me in there lol, she just giggled...

The lady then gave me feedback, the assessor, she said it was good I mentioned the homeless shelter but I needed to be a bit more engaging...? im sorry but I think I followed the correct protocol, what else could I have done in this situation? I genuinely feel a bit robbed, I followed the guidelines and rules and procedures, tried to work with this difficult person, remained calm, and even offered her a free ride...did she expect me to ask her personal questions like how are you homeless? or why are you in this situation ? with all due respect, this is not realistic and TFL can't expect everyone to have 10-15min convos with a busker (WHO IS NOT EVEN A CUSTOMER!!!)

I feel like the odds were stacked against me, the actor was just horrible and trying her best to go against me, not even helping me a little bit... and oh- the head of recruitment was in the room there too, which again im not sure if the actor thought let me try my hardest since she is here too and doesn't penalise me.

it's a bit sad, this was probably the worst scenario you can get since this person is not a customer, they are a beggar, offering nothing but wanting everything, so how you deal with them will be difficult.

Hope that helps others,
Your role play sounded really harsh. When I did my one previously, although I didn’t pass, it definitely was not as bad as how your one sounded like.

Could be due to the head of recruitment being there, which meant they had to be extra harsh.