• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 intake)

bluegoblin7

Established Member
You know unless specified otherwise and whilst it’s still accessible on share point this stuff is confidential
…it’s been released in an FOI, ergo is freely and publicly accessible.

I get that you’re excited to be starting a new job and keen to share help and advice for others, but several of us on here have been around a while and know very well what we can and can’t share.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mawkie

You know unless specified otherwise and whilst it’s still accessible on share point this stuff is confidential
You realise that TfL themselves have published this on their own website as part of a FOI request? This is not secret insider knowledge from a covert whistleblower. It's publicly accessible at the link I provided and will provide again unmasked.

Whilst it's good that you're cognisant of security around LU documents, I think you've misunderstood the concept of FOI requests. As an example, LU will not release copies of the Rule Books, as they "believe this information could potentially be obtained and utilised by individuals who may wish to use it to cause disruption or harm to London’s transport infrastructure." An example of such a denied request can be found here.

Pipa

…it’s been released in an FOI, ergo is freely and publicly accessible.

I get that you’re excited to be starting a new job and keen to share help and advice for others, but several of us on here have been around a while and know very well what we can and can’t share.
Hello I failed the role play when I applied in 2022. I couldn't apply 2023 as said o job description. Is there going to be another recruitment this year??

Last edited:

eastldn12

Hello I failed the role play when I applied in 2022. I couldn't apply 2023 as said o job description. Is there going to be another recruitment this year???

Hello I failed the role play when I applied in 2022. I couldn't apply 2023 as said o job description. Is there going to be another recruitment this year???
If you failed you can’t apply for 3 years

Pipa

When I was doing the written test. There was a man there from the previous recruitment. Which wasn't 3 years before. Are you sure about this. As when I applied it didn't say that if you applied for the ref: xxx you.cant apply but it did say on the 2023 recruitment

moonie95

When I was doing the written test. There was a man there from the previous recruitment. Which wasn't 3 years before. Are you sure about this. As when I applied it didn't say that if you applied for the ref: xxx you.cant apply but it did say on the 2023 recruitment
You cannot apply for 1 year if you had failed.
There was a recruitment campaign this year advertised, there should be more coming up.

Shezu

Screenshot_20240317-141907_Chrome.jpg

Thank you bluegoblin7, Mawkie and eastldn12 for the replies and detailed answers to our queries

J4YWG

On Moderation
A work of fiction
Excuse my ignorance what you mean by that, meanwhile about the assessments I'm fresh meat in the UK (1y) so I didn't have the total knowledge of what i was expecting, I was restrictively thinking for me and not the company itself, plus living at the edge for North L I don't think it would be good for me due the commute lets see in 6m

Holdonwait

I'm not sure, but I heard you can reapply in about 6 months.

I did hear though that you cannot reapply for 3 years if you fail the drugs and alcohol test.

I could be wrong however, maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm or deny.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
It differs between campaigns and can be anything from 6 to 18 months in recent times, often dependent on business needs.

Failing a D&A test would almost certainly have a longer ban unless there was some seriously good mitigation- it is, after all, a fundamental part of the job.

Why not use another email to apply?
I would absolutely not do this. TfL aren’t stupid, and it demonstrates a lack of trustworthiness. A surefire way to rejection, and honestly not great qualities for a prospective employee. Doing something like this internally could easily end up as a gross misconduct charge.

danyjac

I'm happy to share files that have come from a FOI request, as I know they have been suitably redacted by LU.

With that in mind... Here are the shift patterns for numerous stations.

If I extract an example of King's Cross (attached), and you go to page 4 you will see the roster for CSA2.View attachment 154354

It looks complex if you're not used to shift work, but it's fairly simple to understand. You will be allocated a roster line, but if you imagine you start at Week 1, that is Sunday/ Monday rest days and then 'Dead Lates'.

You then simply drop down to Week 2, and find that you'll be doing 'Lates' (finishing around 2200hrs), with split rest days which facilitates a weekend off (end of Week 2/beginning of Week 3).

Week 3 looks a bit tiring tbh, 'Lates', 'Middles' and 'Earlies' all in a single week! And so on. This roster allows you to plan your life around it as it rarely changes.

Cover weeks have been covered by another post.

Lastly, and only for extra info, the Schematic at KX gives a better understanding of the tasks each grade should be doing and where they'll be working at any given time. You can have a look, but it's not something worth going into here I don't think. (The quality will be much better on the actual pdf from the FOI)
View attachment 154357
Thank you for the info. Just to clarify, does cover week mean it will be in other stations and do we get the rota for those weeks in advance as well? Also, for the early and late shifts, do we get transport facility if we live far. I have heard from others about these transport facility but I am not sure.

Got a conditional start date confirmed for training for 15th April.
Subject to successful background checks, reference and medical.
I’ve gotten confirmation from REED that I’ve passed the referencing and CRB. Only awaiting the booking of medical.
Hi, when did you get confirmation for your training date? Was it after all referencing checks??

Mawkie

Just to clarify, does cover week mean it will be in other stations and do we get the rota for those weeks in advance as well?
Yes, theoretically the cover weeks can cover stations on the whole group - for example, if I remember correctly, Earls Court is it's own area, but part of a cover group down to Southfields, so you could be required to work at any of those stations. In reality, I don't suppose it happens that much, but I haven't worked on stations for a long time. The Stations Framework agreement demands 28 days notice for cover weeks. A copy of the Stations Framework can be found in a TfL FOI here. It's worth a read.

Also, for the early and late shifts, do we get transport facility if we live far. I have heard from others about these transport facility but I am not sure.
For dead early and dead late shifts there is a staff taxi facility. They run at fixed times, must be booked in advance, they pick up and set down at fixed points (usually stations), and are often shared with other staff. It may take more than 1 staff taxi to get you to your destination.

danyjac

Yes, theoretically the cover weeks can cover stations on the whole group - for example, if I remember correctly, Earls Court is it's own area, but part of a cover group down to Southfields, so you could be required to work at any of those stations. In reality, I don't suppose it happens that much, but I haven't worked on stations for a long time. The Stations Framework agreement demands 28 days notice for cover weeks. A copy of the Stations Framework can be found in a TfL FOI here. It's worth a read.

For dead early and dead late shifts there is a staff taxi facility. They run at fixed times, must be booked in advance, they pick up and set down at fixed points (usually stations), and are often shared with other staff. It may take more than 1 staff taxi to get you to your destination.
Thank you so much for the information. Really appreciate it.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
A minimum 30-minute meal break is built into the rosters (some locations may have more by local agreement to account for things like walking time etc.) and is unpaid, so the answer is 'sort-of'.

Also note that whilst mention is made in some places about Banked Rest Days, these do not generally apply to CSA2s.

moonie95

I’m not going to argue on an open forum, but it isn’t. I was sat in the pay negotiations and as a senior RMT representative it’s very much my job to be across things like pay implementation dates to be able to provide advice just like this.

For operational grades the 2023 pay claim should be implemented by 1st May 2024.
Appreciate all the detailed information you have provided @bluegoblin7 , do majority of new starters join the union during the training week, do you advise new starters to join the union or wait for the 6 months probation to end and then join?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I would personally encourage everyone to join a union irrespective of job, industry or experience, as you never know when you might need their services. Many provide much more than the 'collective bargaining' elements such as pay rises, T&Cs, strikes etc.

Ultimately it is a personal choice and I do accept that it isn't for everyone. Certainly on LUL there is no 'closed shop' and you won't be treated differently if you're not in the union, or not in a particular union, unless you were to start taking overtime on strike days (it happens).

I've been in and out of two unions over my almost-decade with LUL for a few reasons. There's plenty of 'nons' out there, and many legitimate reasons for doing so.

With my representative hat on, absolutely you should sign up on day 1, and you should sign up to the RMT. Your membership begins as soon as the application form is filled in, and if you do experience issues during training you'll have someone there to support you and advocate for you who will know the various LUL policies in exceptional detail. There's nothing worse than being on your own if something goes wrong during training or probation, especially when - as is often the case - it is something easily solvable - it isn't unheard of for people to have their contracts terminated during these stages.

An analogy I find myself using a lot: You'd take out an insurance policy for your expensive phone or house contents in case of disaster - why not do the same for your job? Most people will never have to call on their union in a personal capacity for their entire employment, but if you do what's ~£5.50 a week (RMT) against a £33kpa salary?

There will be reps from the union and association present at some point in your training course - it's well worth having a chat with them to help you make an informed decision. It is ultimately an individual choice.

moonie95

I would personally encourage everyone to join a union irrespective of job, industry or experience, as you never know when you might need their services. Many provide much more than the 'collective bargaining' elements such as pay rises, T&Cs, strikes etc.

Ultimately it is a personal choice and I do accept that it isn't for everyone. Certainly on LUL there is no 'closed shop' and you won't be treated differently if you're not in the union, or not in a particular union, unless you were to start taking overtime on strike days (it happens).

I've been in and out of two unions over my almost-decade with LUL for a few reasons. There's plenty of 'nons' out there, and many legitimate reasons for doing so.

With my representative hat on, absolutely you should sign up on day 1, and you should sign up to the RMT. Your membership begins as soon as the application form is filled in, and if you do experience issues during training you'll have someone there to support you and advocate for you who will know the various LUL policies in exceptional detail. There's nothing worse than being on your own if something goes wrong during training or probation, especially when - as is often the case - it is something easily solvable - it isn't unheard of for people to have their contracts terminated during these stages.

An analogy I find myself using a lot: You'd take out an insurance policy for your expensive phone or house contents in case of disaster - why not do the same for your job? Most people will never have to call on their union in a personal capacity for their entire employment, but if you do what's ~£5.50 a week (RMT) against a £33kpa salary?

There will be reps from the union and association present at some point in your training course - it's well worth having a chat with them to help you make an informed decision. It is ultimately an individual choice.
Ah, that is amazing thank you!
And that analogy in the last part summed it up for me! Definitely worth it.

Mawkie

Appreciate all the detailed information you have provided @bluegoblin7 , do majority of new starters join the union during the training week, do you advise new starters to join the union or wait for the 6 months probation to end and then join?
I agree, I would say Day 1. Joining a union should always a personal choice, however, what I say to people is... You don't have to go looking for trouble on the Underground, trouble can find you.

There have been numerous staff members presenting at branch meetings who have gotten into trouble somehow, and just knowing your local rep and the branch is behind you is invaluable. This is especially true at the beginning of your career when you are understandably less sure of your rights and managers can sometimes be aware of that too. ;)

EvgeshiN

Greetings all, received an invitation link for roleplay and interview on 4th of march. Was checking timeslots to schedule appointment. But there was none for 2 weeks. Now as i understand my invite linked moved to closed invitations.
It says: We will contact you again if you receive a new invitation through the system.

should i call them and ask? Because i tried to book an appointment, but there was no time available.
Thank you for help.

Shezu

Greetings all, received an invitation link for roleplay and interview on 4th of march. Was checking timeslots to schedule appointment. But there was none for 2 weeks. Now as i understand my invite linked moved to closed invitations.
It says: We will contact you again if you receive a new invitation through the system.

should i call them and ask? Because i tried to book an appointment, but there was no time available.
Thank you for help.
Same happened to me, I called them and they sent me a new link.

Veeky

Thank you for help.
Please check the link between 11:05 and 12 noon everyday for new links. I called them when I tried booking mine and that was the advice I got and booked the next day.

CLAUBALMANT

There are 4 stages

1 - Online assessment
2 - Class room based assessment
3 - Role play
4 - Interview Via Teams (8 questions, 4 warm up questions and 4 scenario based questions)

Anyone need help with the above I'll be more than happy to help

I have all the answers for all the stages.

Good luck

Ps. I have been successful and waiting for my training.
hello, I have my written communication and data interpretation test coming soon. Could you please give me some tips? thank u

Carpetsgalore

Hi all.
I have recently passed my stage two assessment and have been invited by tfl for stage 3 which is a role play exercise and scenario based interview. There is quite a bit of useful info earlier in this thread regarding the role play exercise.
Can anyone give more advice on what to expect during the scenario based interview please? As the pdf they sent with the invitation email was general and vague.
Thanks

hello, I have my written communication and data interpretation test coming soon. Could you please give me some tips? thank u
The questions you will be asked are common sense questions, they are not difficult at all.
However you have to answer them in limited time which makes the test tricky. Be prepared to work fast but not so fast that you lose concentration and focus.

Last edited:

ave_it

Hi all.
I have recently passed my stage two assessment and have been invited by tfl for stage 3 which is a role play exercise and scenario based interview. There is quite a bit of useful info earlier in this thread regarding the role play exercise.
Can anyone give more advice on what to expect during the scenario based interview please? As the pdf they sent with the invitation email was general and vague.
Thanks

I had my role play and Scenario Based Interview today and I found it much easier having read this thread. Thank you to all who have contributed.

For the role play you don't know any detail about the situation until it begins, but you do get 5 mins to look through what they expect of you/what they are looking for and some detail about a few situations and regulations which give you an idea of possible situations. Don't worry too much about the rules and regs, my advice would be to ask lots of questions to understand what the situation is then just focus on being calm, empathetic and providing alternatives while being personable yet firm.

For the Scenario Based Interview, you have a scenario similar to the role play but with a bit more complexity which you are expected to read and present how you would respond. You have 10 mins to prepare and then a few more questions about the scenario and yourself afterwards. I was nervous going into it but found it fine and everyone wants you to succeed. So good luck.

Maki

Hi All!

I've been reading through this forum throughout my whole process and have successfully been offered a conditional position, so thank you all haha

I've just completed my the Reed portion of this and was reading through and seen it usually takes around 2 weeks for this to be completed, im assuming after this is the medical and drug and alcohol test, may I ask how long afterwards I should expect a contract if successful? I'm just wondering about when to put in a notice as mine is 4 weeks.

Thank you :))